Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:37 pm
So I'm a Lead over at the Boardwalk, yeah? Rollercoasters and rides and s**t. Well, on Monday I finally got trained to operate another ride and this guy named Jose was my "trainer". Let us just say, many of the Leads over at the Boardwalk are very lazy (in comparision to the rigor and safety I was used to at Great America), and Jose is one of the absolute laziest. Every ride has a "training checklist" which details all the important stuff you're supposed to go over during a training. Very straightforward, you check off the list as you discuss each topic of importance.

Well Jose didn't bother. He just kind of went over some basics and I had to ask for the training sheet and ask EVERY question to ensure he'd covered everything. Cuz he wasn't gonna. But I wasn't gonna sign my name on a document saying the material had been covered if it hadn't been.

Okay, well anyhow, at some point during my training I asked him why he didn't think it was important to go over information like Emergency Evacuation Procedures. His response? "No one's died yet."

Nice. Real ******** nice.

Fast-forward to yesterday. Did anyone hear about the accident involving the travelling Fireball (it was at Ohio State Park) that killed someone and injured several others? We have that same ride at our park (though a more permanent installation version of it). It's now been closed and will be undergoing thorough investigation to determine it's safe to operate.

But I can't help but wonder how Jose feels. Or if he still just doesn't care about the importance of rider safety.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:46 pm
No way, Jose.  

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Kor Saiyajinkami

Rampaging Genius

14,025 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Key to Victory 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:46 pm
That just isn't right. Just because something hasn't happened yet, that doesn't mean it will ever happen. It's good to be prepared for the situation and if you never need to use the information for how to react in an emergency then that is a good thing. It's better to have the information never need to use it, then to not have the information if/when you need it.

And yes I've heard about what happened with the Fireball at the Ohio State Fair. Now that I live in Columbus, Ohio, it's been all over the news since it is local news that is rather important. It's a shame that that guy died and the some others were injured when their seats were removed from the ride as a result of the arm of the ride breaking off and hitting another part of the ride.

It's good to hear that where you work, has closed their ride to make sure it doesn't have any similar issues.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:05 pm
Kor Saiyajinkami
That just isn't right. Just because something hasn't happened yet, that doesn't mean it will ever happen. It's good to be prepared for the situation and if you never need to use the information for how to react in an emergency then that is a good thing. It's better to have the information never need to use it, then to not have the information if/when you need it.

Honestly, couldn't've said it better than that.  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:40 am
1. that employee is a dumbass.

2. you should see how city officials handle it. there could be a well known problem but they won't lift a finger to fix it until something bad happens(there's a stop sign in my town that wasn't put in until a little girl was killed)

3. I actually just saw someone post on Facebook a video of the accident and some pictures. talk about a thrill ride.

4.(kind of?) that same post kind of confused me. because it said 8 hurt and 5 injured. kind of confusing. is it to say 8 people were involved and only 5 got injured with 1 death and 2 being stable? or did they just get different numbers and instead of further investigating it decided to put both and hope nobody would notice?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:42 am
Wow. I can't even imagine ignoring an important checklist for something like an amusement ride. Even if it's become old news to me, I would still make sure I went over everything if I was training someone new.  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers