Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Convention Stories

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:06 am
What is the stupidest, weirdest or funniest thing that ever happened during a Convention ? Everyone has a story lets hear about yours.

For me one of the weirdest things that happened to me at my first convention was a special game that was being played in the Games Room. My brother and I joined it and we had no idea what we were in for. Random passages were read from a large book of dares, personal questions, etc. One of the dares was to go up into the rafters at the high ceiling at the con (At least 100 ft up) and then swing from one rafter to another. Suffice to say I was fearful of a stunt like that and some of the gamers wanted to try it. Being the oldest and most safety conscious player in the bunch it took a while but I managed to talk the rest of the group to not do it. Instead of saying how dangerous the stunt would be I told them that the security group at the con would be very angry and call the cops about it. That seemed to work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:04 am
I've got a quick one:

tl;dr -- at Nekocon one year, Kyle ********* told me that I lost the game.

It's on video someplace, if you know where to look. sweatdrop  

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

slapthefatcat2

Attacking Fatcat

27,050 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:49 pm
Both my favorite and weirdest one: was cosplaying as Powerline Max from the Goofy Movie back at Otakon 2014, I think. One woman was going up the escalator as I was going down. She sees me and freaks the ____ out! Oh my God!!!! Powerline! I love you! I motioned to her that I'd come back around, up top. She continued to gush about it. I always thought "fangasm" was a metaphor, but I may have been witness to a literal interpretation of it that day. It really helped because I was thinking of quitting cosplay and cons that year, after several unpopular cosplays that just weren't that great and just a lot of busyness in life that made it hard to go to cons and spend time/money making cosplays.

I remember back at Otakon 2010 or so, someone got on the roof and put a duct tape cross on one of the skylights. I still have a picture of it somewhere.

Stupid me: Wooden prop of the sword from Guilty Crown. Think the twin blade from Legend of Zelda, just not quite as wide. Decided to be funny and spin it around (it was late night, made sure no one else was around). Promptly dropped it and it snapped in two. I should have known and it was just funny because it was such a dumb thing to do. I felt really bad because my older brother helped carve and paint it, and that was the one time he ever helped, or even offered to help me, on a cosplay project.

Weird situation, stupid me for getting into it: when I was 24, I was planning for Otakon and thought "oh hey, I'm old enough to drink and we have this old bottle of vodka and cards against humanity. I'm not a party person, but let's go to a party, just to see what it's like." I found a party and was invited to go. Came over and it was ROCKING. First, they were just finishing up a game of CAH and people were SMASHED. Within five minutes of me getting there, this woman was playing it as strip CAH, where she strips when she gets a black card. She promptly goes to take her top off. Luckily, her friends stopped her and pulled her away to the couch. I then found out one of the rooms were used as a hot box (I also learned what that meant!). Yeah, I just left after not even ten minutes. Not my crowd, but glad I found out what parties can be like and what I'm (not) missing out on.

I'm sure I have a few more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.  
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games