Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Chatterbox
Got a root canal today :'(

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Qwertea

IRL Gaian

11,725 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Rat Conqueror 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:38 pm
I had a nasty tooth that was causing some terrible pain.
Like I'd choose child birth over the pain the tooth was causing.

I had a huge cavity and the nerve was exposed. xp

I've been in pain for the better half of the month.

But it's been fixed thankfully, it's still tender but nowhere near as bad.

Has anyone here had a root canal before?
Give me bits of wisdom cause this is uncharted territory for me, I've had extractions and fillings but I've never had one of these done before.

How long will it be sore?
What stuff did you eat aside from soup and mashed taters?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:46 pm
YIKES have no advice, I'm sorry, but hoping you're all better!!

Jello, perhaps?  

X_wishing_well_X

8,575 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Signature Look 250

Misanthropic Miko

Magical Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:38 pm
I have had 4 -5 root canals.

My advice:

1. Always take a good multi-vitamin every day.

2. You'll be sore for about a week or so after you have a root canal. You can take some Ibuprofen for pain.

3. Stuff you can eat ---> pudding, jello, mashed potatoes, soup, really anything that's soft.

4. Remember to floss real good after meals besides brushing your teeth.

5. Use ACT Restoring mouthwash.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:31 pm
    *tips post via post because there is no post-tipping in guilds yet*

Misanthropic Miko
    I have had 4 -5 root canals.

My advice:

1. Always take a good multi-vitamin every day.

2. You'll be sore for about a week or so after you have a root canal. You can take some Ibuprofen for pain.

3. Stuff you can eat ---> pudding, jello, mashed potatoes, soup, really anything that's soft.

4. Remember to floss real good after meals besides brushing your teeth.

5. Use ACT Restoring mouthwash.

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

Rin Kairiu

Astral Visitor

35,565 Points
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:04 pm
I've had 2 root canals done. My first experience was terrifying and my second was blissful.

I have a unique condition where Novocaine doesn't really work on me... so getting my first one done was a world of hurt for me (it also didn't help that my first tooth had two roots and it completely baffled them). So, determined to not go through that again, I opted to get out out for my second one! blaugh

For edible food stuff, scrambled eggs is also an option- that became my favorite food when I got my wisdom teeth out.

It's gonna be really weird at first having a gap in your teeth, but don't worry about running your tongue over it, as long as you aren't actively pressing into it and stuff. The crown you get will take a week or two to get used to. Definitely take ibuprofen for the pain, especially if you're still bleeding a little (pain killers like Tylenol are blood-thinners, so you don't want those).  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:27 pm
I had root canal number two not long ago thankfully my dentist only takes an hour to make a crown. I was able to get it capped after he did the root canal.

So far I've had two root canals and a whole bunch of cavities drilled out then caps put on all the molars on my right side of my mouth. It's still really painful and my gums are very swollen. I'm assuming my gums are swollen from all of the work that was done.

Soup and Tylenol 4 are my friends. User Image

I get the left side of my mouth fixed in January.  

Qwertea

IRL Gaian

11,725 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Rat Conqueror 500

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:33 pm
Ouch, ouch, ouch! x -x;
I haven't had a root canal done, but got wisdom teeth pulled about a year ago. Oh wow, like a year and a half ago. XD; I had killer pain during the healing process. I thought the pain my teeth were causing was the worst it could get, but it got worse.
Anyway, I was on a soft diet for a looooong time. XD That sucked. Meals quickly become repetitive. u -u; I still have a list of soft foods in my phone.

Some other foods to consider:
sweet potatoes
grits, polenta, cream of wheat, oatmeal, etc
stuffing
apple sauce
yogurt
cottage cheese
Ensure, any sort of meal-replacement drinks

And maybe rice, spinach, macaroni and cheese (or any kind of noodles), ice ream and fruit smoothies as you heal and can tolerate a bit more chewing (and cold temps).
Also! XD If you have a good blender, anything can be diced into pieces that don't require much chewing. I eventually put some cooked meat in a blender (a few times) just so I could taste something different. It looks and sounds disgusting... buuuut~ tasted soooo good.

☆ Chatterbox

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games