Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN: Deus Ex Machina

Back to Guilds

Welcome to Deus Ex Machina, a humble training facility located on a remote island. 

Reply THIS IS HALLOWEEN: Deus Ex Machina Training Facilities
[1 vs 1] Meet the neighbors [Lexington/Gretchen] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit
Strickenized rolled 2 8-sided dice: 5, 5 Total: 10 (2-16)

Strickenized

Garbage Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:27 pm
Lex stared at her, disappointmeant heavy on his lids. "I'm going to bleed out and die before I get good wis' zis." He needed training - desperately. For a pseudomilitary organization (or were they a true military?), Lex assumed they had trainers on-hand for any weapon type they kept. They had to if they wanted to be effective; sending someone out with a sniper rifle and no idea how to use the damned thing spelled disaster for any mission. Surely someone used the urumi prior to him. Perhaps even his weapon knew.

"Focus, or —"

Gretchen's strike caught him in the hip and caused him to stumble, his balance temporarily thrown.

"… You'll get hit. You're none too sharp on battles, are you? Don't tell me I chose wrong."

The lilting laughter left Lex grinding his teeth. He granted himself a passing second to reflect on how Gretchen's strike hurt far less than he would have expected, but delved not into any potential reasoning behind it. Now wasn't the time; if they intended to use him for missions in the future, then he needed to focus and conduct himself well in the heat of battle. Training areas only provided him a venue in which he wouldn't die for failure. Assuming, of course, that Gretchen was right about invisible shields and wouldn't potentially dash his brains on the floor at the first moment of opportunity.

Lex whipped the weapon to the side, which cut somewhat into the edge of his hand, and threw another ill-practiced strike. Again, the weapons curved dangerously back toward him, and he tried to walk with the inertia this time. As he struck her, the runes flared. Lex quirked a brow and looked to Gretchen for answers.

HP: 39
DMG: 4
CHG: 3/3

beejoux
i hope i'm doing this right

Beejoux rolled 2 8-sided dice: 6, 6 Total: 12 (2-16)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:46 am
She had to chuckle, not just at the protest, but the look he leveled at her as well. "Aw, naw. You won't, not until your shield breaks, and not at all on this training field." Despite the complaint, though, he did what she said, flicking another whip like snap of blades in her direction, and she turned on her heel to avoid the worst of it, taking the hit in the shoulder.

He'd gotten a few hits in, had a small taste of what his shield did to protect him, now it was time to give him a better example.

So Gretchen would switch her momentum to the offensive, and again, when she moved it wa with speed that exceeded her natural capabilities. Not by much, but certainly more noticeable now than it had been.

Instead of his face, she'd drop her aim to a body shot, the blunt end if the staff stabbing forward to take him high in the ribs.

HP: 30
DMG: 6
CHG: 2/3

strickenized

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

Strickenized rolled 2 8-sided dice: 2, 2 Total: 4 (2-16)

Strickenized

Garbage Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:13 am
Gretchen's words offered comfort that he wouldn't suffer an embarrassing death on the training field. No, if Lexington was to suffer any sort of death, such would occur off the island, and hopefully where no one would be around to remember it. Perhaps with enough time and training, he could avoid the potential cause of death being listed as 'accidental suicide'. Or, he'd never learn his weapon to a respectable extent and resort to working as the resident lunch lady and stay in that basement disaster of a room forever. Really, he had choices.

Then Gretchen struck him again, in the chest this time, and Lex stumbled back while temporarily winded. Surprisingly the hit hurt far less than he expected; perhaps she was quite right about the shields.

"Of course she was right about the shields. If you're so caught up in doubting others, you'll stay weak forever. Only the strong can choose to have faith, my boil."

Just let me ******** concentrate already.

Lex aimed another sweep of blades at Gretchen, and found he missed her entirely. "Maybe now isn't ze best time to haf' an angry conversation wis' my weapon."

HP: 33
DMG: 0

beejoux

Beejoux rolled 2 8-sided dice: 2, 5 Total: 7 (2-16)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:44 am
"No," she agreed, stifling a giggle against the back of one hand. "I reckon not." It was actually a little comforting to know that it wasn't just her that had a dysfunctional relationship with their weapon. Not that she wished that sort of strain on anyone else, but she had begun to wonder if there was something wrong with her.

(There issssss plenty wrong with you, but I am not one of them.)

Mid motion, the verbal barb made the Death trainee flinch, and what might have been a harder blow would be little better than a glancing one as the staff end swept towards him.

HP: 30
DMG: 1

strickenized

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

Strickenized rolled 2 8-sided dice: 8, 4 Total: 12 (2-16)

Strickenized

Garbage Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:34 pm
Lexington caught sight of the flinch, and when her bo staff struck his shoulder, it felt more akin to a shove than an actual strike. He wondered, then, if her weapon despised her too.

"Don't be so dramatic. I don't despise you. I'm just tired of waiting for you to stop disappointing me. Now, are you going to attack or not? Make it good this time. If I could only wield myself…" The wistful sigh drifted through his mind and caused Lex's teeth to grind.

He knew full well the brunt of the word 'disappointment'. He knew how it twisted eyebrows, tugged at lips, flared nostrils. He knew how it opened distance between two parties. He knew the taste of it in his own mouth from so many hours of biting his tongue. His life was filled with expectations, both from him and placed upon him - and many of those expectations fell through the deep gaps in his character. He saturated himself in missed opportunities, like mediocre badges of honor - like small, derisive jabs at the life he was expected to lead. His name spoke of pretention, of his parents' travels across worlds and spaces they barely understood, and he spent his life tearing it down. He spent it distancing himself from parts of himself that he wanted to disown.

When he struck at her again, he offered no words. Internally, he reflected upon the bitter heap of failures that constructed his life and dictated the friendships he could keep. He considered the way that Malicious so eloquently twisted her knife in his side, how she pit at him with every sweeping attack he made. He realized, then, that the urumi fit her well - that perhaps, in expert hands, she could fell others with deadly force. Instead, in the hands of an amateur, he faced slow death by mild lacerations. Death by a thousand paper cuts, they called it.

"Did you not hear me, my boil? I said, don't be so dramatic."

His half-smile grew dark.

HP: 32
DMG: 6

beejoux

Beejoux rolled 8 4-sided dice: 3, 2, 1, 2, 2, 4, 1, 1 Total: 16 (8-32)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:56 pm
He was either getting a handle on his unique weapon, or he was getting lucky. Either way, the solid, snapping blades struck her shield solidly, leeching away her protection, and leaving biting pains against pale skin in their wake. Her breath was drawn between her teeth before shaking out in a small laugh. "There ya go, getting the hang of it now."

(Are you going to let this unskilled newbie bessssssst you?)

Gretchen bit her lip. She hadn't wanted to scare him, but she also really didn't want the nagging, venomous disapproval of the naga if she was beaten.

Violet runes gave a small pulse, then brightened as one. She had awful luck with her charge, it never worked, and she'd always blamed it on her and her weapon being so internally out of sync, but that didn't stop her from trying. She gave the push, and Devika responded.

For once, it worked. Gretchen gasped as the Fear released in a cold, soothing wash all across her body, leaving a trail of startled goosebumps in it's wake. She shivered once, like a chill rushing up the spine, before settling. Wow.

HP: 24 + 13 = 37
DMG: -
CHG: 0/3

strickenized

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

Strickenized

Garbage Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:46 pm
Lex paused, weapon poised, and watched the unfolding scene. Gretchen veritably exploded in gooseflesh, and the runes on her weapon flared in time with the reaction. Lexington looked to his own runes, their brilliance shining in a manner unlike the start of battle, and wondered over what became of her weapon. "What did you do?" In the interim, he stayed his blades.

"I told you to read up on your pamphlets before coming out here. You should know this by now. I'm starting to think you're more interested in bringing about your own death, Lexington. Is that not a defining characteristic of your clan?"

Hush.

"Or what? You'll back out of this mediocre battle? I need this, Lexington. I need FEAR like you need air, so attack the b***h already!"

His weapon remained still. He waited, and reminded himself to breathe.

HP: 32
DMG: --

beejoux

Beejoux rolled 2 8-sided dice: 5, 8 Total: 13 (2-16)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:47 pm
Gretchen blinked in apparent surprise, then grinned back at Von as he questioned her. "Released my weapon's Fear charge. It's never worked before." She seemed refreshed, energized, and the bo staff made easy arches as she swung it back and forth in one hand. "Mine is, kinda like a heal, I suppose." Her shoulders came up in a small shrug as she brought the staff around again.

"You'll know when your weapon has collected enough Fear. They'll tell ya, or you might even feel it." The staff came around as she reclaimed her ready stance. "Then you just need 'ta let it go." She wasn't exactly sure how to explain it. Everyone's Fear was different; felt different, did different things. It was impossible to predict what Von's would do.

They were still in the middle of their spar, though. Grin brightening, the Death trainee took a quick step forward, directing the blunt head of the staff at his stomach.

HP: 37
DMG: 7
CHG:1/3

strickenized

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

Strickenized rolled 3 4-sided dice: 3, 2, 2 Total: 7 (3-12)

Strickenized

Garbage Cat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:11 am
Lex regarded her with a stare. A heal? He didn't expect to win this battle, but he wasn't completely certain of his defeat until she explained the crux of her Fear attack. Her words explained Malicious excitement in part; he estimated that she must've reached her capacity for Fear earlier. And he was to release it by somehow letting it go? How in the hell was he supposed to do that?

Lex found little time to ponder when the staff connected with his midsection, and he grunted as the wind left his body. He stumbled backward, weapon still in had and waited for far more pain than what greeted him. The effects of the Fear shield still felt terribly foreign to him - he just took a weapon to the gut, and somehow wasn't greatly affected by this.

Straightening, Lex reclaimed some of the air lost to her attack. Letting anything go strayed a bit far from his scope of behaviors, so he found little surprise when his attempts to somehow release the Fear found no success. The runes dimmed, and all he caught from his weapon was a scoff without further retort.

Fine. One more try, then I'm out.

HP:25
DMG: N/A
CHG: 0/3

Beejoux

Beejoux rolled 2 8-sided dice: 3, 6 Total: 9 (2-16)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:28 pm
Gretchen took a step back after her last attack, giving him a chance to attempt to release the Fear charge, but as the runes along the flexible blades dimmed she couldn't help but offer a sympathetic grimace. "No dice, huh?" Boy, did she know how that felt. "It's okay, it doesn't always work. Mine almost never does. This is the first time, actually." She had the grace to look a bit sheepish at the admission.

"We'll just have'ta get your weapon some more Fear so you can try again!" And she'd waste little time in assisting wit this.

Grinning, she closed the gap between them again, bringing the staff around to plant the end of it against his hip in a harsh, quick jab.

HP: 37
DMG: 3
CHG: 1/3

strickenized

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

THIS IS HALLOWEEN: Deus Ex Machina Training Facilities

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers