[SRP] Dinos in the Garden (See Inside) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:22 pm
((A solo RP featuring Sonata Notturno, Cara Mia Aurum, Ko'ikku Ahmshere & Otieno Makar. Please do not post unless you are invited.))

User Image User Image
User Image User Image

Latonia Teepee Here

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:36 pm
Sonata's love for flowers was not a new one, rather a habit she had had since her earliest memories of childhood. Her siblings were of a darker, more competitive nature than she. They were aggressive, bloodthirsty and keen. To prove their skills to their parents and each other, they frequently challenged each other to hunts, each determined to bring back the higher number of kills so they could gloat about it all day long.

Sona herself had never been interested in such sport. Indeed, she lacked the tools her siblings had to be competent at it to begin with. As well as the attitude, she had no keen fangs or sharp hooves or lethal drive to seek out and kill those weaker than her. More often than not, this lead to her being the impartial party that watched over their hoards and counted the kills when all was said and done, unless their father appeared to do it for her.

Which meant that as often as she could, she would sneak off in search of wildflowers. Not even to pick, just to examine and identify and record in her memory, so she could seek them out later. Eventually this lead to her gathering seedpods and the occasional cutting, and returning to a carefully-selected glade to begin planting and experimenting. Before long, she had quite the garden growing, but her pride and joy had become her roses.

Some of her samples carefully traded for or bought from the traveling groups, far-distant herds, or the occasional seed-seller. Several of the varieties were rarer-seen wild roses, cultivated or clipped by Sona herself so they too could be raised in her care. Before long she was breeding her own, occasionally escaping the garden with heavy blooms woven into her white mane and tail, or thick vines twined around her legs like bracelets. She took pride in each and every cross, delighted in the new colors and patterns as they appeared, even gifted a bloom here or there to those dear to her heart.

At the moment, there were three plants she was eagerly awaiting the flowering off. If things had gone well with the first, she will have finally created a large, red rose with a long bloom span. She hoped the attempt would work, was looking forward to braiding herself a crown of them to wear for as long as the blossoms lasted. The second, if all went well, would bloom half red and half white, and would be presented to her sires as a gift. If it worked. The third was a bit of a mystery, she had no idea how it would turn out.

“Oh, please let it work.” She murmured fervently as she paced along toward her garden, sighing softly to herself. “The swirled variety was pleasing indeed, and there have been several people happy to barter for cuttings… But this is different, special, this is important to me. It’s important to get right!”

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:11 pm
Cara Mia Aurum glanced skyward once again, laughing as the mare above her did a dramatic swoop-wobble to exemplify the maneuver she was mentioning in her story. At Cara’s side, she could feel the warmth of her stallion companion, hear his rumbling laughter as he too fixed eyes on the mare above and found amusement in her antics. “Ko’ikku! Surely it wasn’t that bad! You’re being terribly critical of his first flight. Stallions can’t help it, you know, they just have to show off!”

She danced lightly on her hooves, tossing a gleaming glance at her shadowy companion to let him know her words were all in fun. “Stallions are terribly irrational, you know. They tend to think with their ego, rather than their brains.”

Otieno clicked disapprovingly at the dainty mare beside him, lashing out with a gentle tail to tap her hindquarters in disapproval. He was careful to keep the touch light, knowing his side alone could cause damage if he wasn’t paying attention. And Cara was a dear friend, a delicate dear friend, which means extra caution was in order, even when she teased him mercilessly. “Here now! A stallion standing beside you miss, I’ll ask you not to forget. I assure you, I’ve never done anything as foolish as to try and do a flip on my first flight. Presence of a lovely lady or not, it certainly isn’t impressive to get one’s neck broken, I must say.”

He gave a stout nod, as if to say ‘and that is that’, and then ruined the whole thing with a soft rumble of laughter.

A moment later the Pterosaur mare known as Ko’ikku Ahmshere had landed a few strides ahead of them, her wing claws braced on the ground to either side of her as she tilted her head in challenge. Her eyes were bright with laughter, but she frowned with mock intent at the land-bound pair meandering toward her. Their strides were slow and easy, relaxed, but they jostled each other back and forth across the trail like foals. It was, cute, in a strange way. The rag-tag band had become something of a herd, through their travels and exchanges of various tales. Ko’ikku was grateful for it, sincerely missing the herd she had left behind.

“It was that bad, Cara, I assure you that it was." Ko'ikku promised, giving Cara a woeful look that begged the other mare to agree on the willful idiocy of males. She abandoned the expression a moment later, mock-scowling at the stallion. "As for you, Otieno, you can’t expect either of us to be terribly impressed with your story. After all, you don’t have wings, so it’s not all that impressive if you fight the urge to flip on your first flight!”

Though it was rather unkind to laugh (even if the stallion would never know and the joke was undoubtedly one the herd took pride in telling), Cara Mia couldn't hold back the urge to snicker a moment longer. At the sight of Ko'ikku's woeful gaze she cracked, dissolving into laughter so strong she had to lean against Otieno's side to make sure she kept her hooves.

His pelt was smooth and cool against her scales, like leaning into the living embodiment of shadows. She leaned her cheek against the smooth feathers of his neck, giggling when he floofed them and they tickled her muzzle and ear. "Poor boyo, if he could only see you now, Ko'ikku. Telling stories of his everlasting shame to everyone you cross paths with? His poor heart would be broken, he'd never ride the winds again. Shame would forever follow the footsteps of his family."

Still leaning comfortably against Otieno's side, Cara craned her head up to meet the stallion's odd shadow-and-lavendar gaze with her own liquid silver. "What do you think? Have you learned your lesson about the cost of preening before an audience? If you're going to screw up you should do it with flair, so at least you're an entertaining cautionary tale. But it's worlds better if you don't mess up at all, and make a good lasting impression."

Though he tried to hide it, Otieno's black and lilac eyes went wide as could be at the feel of the compact kirin mare leaning against his side and laughing her heart out. She was short and warm, like the sun come to rest on his shoulder, with her cheek pillowed on his feathers. He fluffed them just to tickle her and clicked his beak in satisfaction when it prompted another round of giggles, her words making him tilt his head.

"A moment of silence for my poor distant brethren, forever shamed by performing a single foolish act before the Lady of Unfailing Memory. Sleep peacefully in ignorance, my winged brother, for if you knew how many ladies were about to know of your terrible courtship skills, you would probably have nightmares." He let himself give an exaggerated shudder, as though the thought haunted him, before turning his attention down to Cara's laughing gaze. "I have indeed learned a lesson due to the poor lad's mis-deeds. I will endeavor to never make a fool of myself in front of Ko'ikku, as an extra precaution. But in general, displays in front of ladies should be carefully planned and play to one's strengths. So then, no aerial stunts for me, for obvious reasons."

Ko'Ikku waited until the two had meandered to standing beside her on the trail, turning and tossing a wing over both of their backs. She and Otieno were closer to being of a height, with Cara standing below Ko'ikku's chin. She could actually rest her chin between the mare's ears if she was so inclined, but she rather imagined Cara would hardly thank her for the gesture. More likely, a kick would be in order. The mare was a bit funny about comments about her height. Still, it was nice to have their warmth between her wing, even as they all began to lazily shuffle down the path.

"You should fear my wrath." She said in her sweetest tone, grinning over Cara's head to catch Otieno's eye. "Not to say you'll have to do something stupid that I can carry tales of into eternity... Just, in general. I feel as my long-time traveling companion, you should know this. If crossed, I am swift and vengeful. Still, I think you've been doing a wonderful job of staying on my and Cara's good sides, so you need not fear. But, if you find yourself with a lady on your claws that does not treat you well, we may be forced to take action... Isn't that right, Cara Mia?"

As a soft whispering scent crossed her path Ko'ikku froze, her ears perking as she was promptly distracted from her mild threat. "Hold on, did you smell that?"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:58 pm
Folding her wings and picking up a trot, Sonata wound her way through the paths to the main grove that housed her garden. She couldn’t help the excitement lacing through her, the eagerness to be among her plants again. The flowering vines and wildflowers that she had started with, now scattered throughout the main path she trod, were nice enough. They were like old friends, colors gleaming at her in the scattered rays of light. But the roses were her pride and joy.

Happily, she turned a blind corner and stepped into the sunlight, and promptly found herself surrounded by them. Different shades of green denoted the different varieties, two or three of one plant here together and then another variety beside them, and then another further down. There were smaller shrubs of the tea rose variety, and greater ones that stretched taller than Sona herself. Some carried fragrance and others featured colors or patterns with little or no scent. Still, they were all a product of her hard work, and she beamed widely at the sight of them.

“Hello everyone.” She greeted in a sweet tone, moving quickly to check the smaller shrubs that were her newest projects. The buds were starting to expand, but still no hint of color or the slightest sign they were ready to flower. “Someone is sleeping in, hmm? Alright you three, you know I’m looking forward to seeing you when you finally decide to show your faces. In the meantime, I’ll visit with your sisters.”

Meandering toward the smaller clusters of shrubs to delight in the pink, yellow, and peach blooms, she plucked away a few of the faded blossoms and examined the leaves for spotting. The shrubs seemed in good health, in spite of the fact that she’d not tended to them in a couple of days. There were fresh blossoms forming even on her tea rose bushes, and butterflies flitting through the glade. It was peaceful and idyllic and perfect.

“Good.” Sona murmured to herself with a nod. “Alright then, first the pruning… And then we’ll see about picking out some blooms to take to the Lapsang Herd to see about some trading. And if all goes well, I’ll get to browse some of their wares, and talk to the perfumer and possibly the apothecary about extracting oils. Which means that I can talk to El about candles. I wonder if one can extract color from flowers, and maybe Sovanna might need help with her dye cakes?”

Meandering among the shrubs and murmuring to herself, Sona began the careful plucking of spent blooms and bad leaves. Keeping her garden in good health meant better flowers, and a better inventory to barter or trade with the mares she was beginning to build a steady trade with. “If things go well, maybe I’ll run off to join the Lapsang Faire.”

So long as she could bring her garden along…

Wordcount: 486

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:22 pm
“Then at least his efforts have done someone some good, teaching other stallions not to make his mistakes.” Cara murmured at Otieno with another soft smile. “As for Ko’ikku, I think we have both learned not to display weakness or poor judgement in front of her. Regarding you and aerial stunts, that is remarkably level headed of you, for a stallion. So long as you elect to play to your strengths you should go far. Congratulations, you continue to amaze me.”

She trailed off into another peal of laughter, attention attracted by the calculating looking in Ko’ikku’s eyes. As though she could sense the taller mare’s thoughts on using her as a chin rest, Cara Mia cocked a bright silver eye at her friend in silent warning. It was a playful expression with very little heat in it, because she was far too comfortable wedged beneath Ko’ikku’s wing to stir up much of a fuss.

“Whatever you are thinking, the answer is no.” Cara warned softly. “That look in your eye speaks of trouble. With regards to Otieno finding a lady that does not treat him well, yes, we will indeed be forced to take action. I imagine it shall be swift and drastic and punishing, and I will enjoy it a great deal. He is our strange companion, and I’ll not let anyone bully him.”

She spun her head, searching the forest path and then back to Ko’ikku. “With you and Otieno so close, I don’t scent anything but the roses you’re wearing and the herbs we were rolling among earlier.”

The teasing of the mares beside him only served to amuse, their playful jibes rolling right off Otieno’s smooth back. He knew his friends meant no harm in their commentary, and a great deal of it he couldn’t help but agree with. Stallions did do foolish things in the efforts to impress mares, and Otieno himself was not so different. Perhaps nothing as spectacular as fools with wings could do, but it also meant he was far less likely to hurt himself. Not that damage to the skull was a concern, considering.

“It is always nice to be appreciated by such charming companions as those I have been blessed with.” Otieno murmured when Cara spoke of being amazed. “I shall endeavor to continue in doing so, of course. Staying on your good side is certainly a priority of mine, whenever possible.”

Of course, when both of them started threatening a metaphorical lady that didn’t treat him well, he couldn’t help but click at them in wordless amusement. His saviors, one on the wing and one tiny one to sneak up on the ground. It was a good thing he’d found them first, he rather imagined they’d keep him out of a great deal of trouble in the long run of things.

Still, when Ko’ikku bristled and drew ahead of them Otieno couldn’t help but step after her. He scented the flowers that adorned Ko’ikku, as Cara had suggested, but in the midst of the forest there were a dozen other such scents. Still, there was something up ahead that spoke of another in the woods. “Perhaps we are drawing near to someone else’s territory, and that is what you scent Ko’ikku? Cara and I are not yet used to your flowers, so that is what we focus on.”

“You never let me have any fun.” Ko’ikku murmured teasingly when Cara Mia warned her off. Not that she would actually rest her chin on the mare’s head, at least, not without further provocation. Best not to think of such things just now, it might be a fun thing to do later. “And you two really shouldn’t make me sound so terrible as that. I really wouldn’t hold your weakness against you. Poor judgement is bound to be infinitely more fun. But yes, if Otieno decided to preen for an utterly ridiculous mare that decides to be mean to him, then she’ll have to deal with both of us. Once she’s out of the way I’ll be sure to tease him mercilessly about it, but not beforehand.”

The fact that neither of them had picked up on the scent yet wasn’t too surprising, they were all strangers to this place and unsure of boundary lines and herd patterns. Ko’ikku herself had grown up in a garden, was used to tracking her herdmates through all sorts of flowers on their various hunting games. Still, the thought of new roses was always interesting, and if there was a garden near she truly did want to look around.

“Sorry if the roses are distracting.” Ko’ikku murmured, her attentions still tuned to the woods ahead. “I’m not sure we’re at herd or clan lands, but someone may be dwelling in a glade nearby… I think there are many roses there, I smell varieties that I am not familiar with. Do you mind if we go ahead and look? It’s always good to see new gardens.”

She glanced at her companions hopefully. “It shouldn’t take too long?”

“We certainly do appreciate you, Otieno, I hope you never doubt it.” Cara murmured, grinning widely. “I will tell you that you are not in any danger of falling on our bad sides. You’re a very dear friend, and it’s far more likely that anyone upsetting you would wind up there. As for letting you have fun, Ko’ikku, that look spells trouble. That part, I want none of. Finding trouble on accident is far different than finding it on purpose. You give me that look, and I am quite sure you are about to start mischief on purpose.”

Shifting lightly on her hooves, the petite mare gave a flick of her tail. The woods were quiet but not silent, filled with the dozens of different sounds that spoke of everyday life. She could hear bugs and birds and small mammals like squirrels and rabbits rustling among the leaves. The presence of such things meant there were no dangerous predators about. So then, she could see no harm in checking out a garden. It might be nice.

“It takes as long as it takes, I suppose.” Cara shrugged, stepping forward. “If you won’t go first, I will. I for one think roses are quite lovely, I’d like to see some more of them. And maybe there is a caretaker here you can talk to, I am sure that would be fun."

Shifting on his clawed feet, the stallion stooped to brush his cheek against the brown and golden mare’s. Cara’s eyes were bright and laughing, but honest when she spoke of their friendship. She was a good hearted soul, this strange little herd mate of his. He would have to find her fine trinkets to decorate her hair, perhaps some pretty feathers to hang from the beaded hair sticks that were twined in her long black mane. ‘I would have to find silver ones to go with her lovely eyes. The golden ones that I like wouldn’t do as well.’

“It is pleasing to know that I need not fear your wrath.” He admitted with a click of his beak and a flick of his tail. “I am sure that you are much more dangerous than even I can give you credit. Ladies are not to be underestimated.”

Stepping forward after Cara, Otieno gave a shrug and slicked down his crest of feathers. “I too think that visiting the garden would be interesting, and I shall be happy to go with you both. As far as I know, we have no destination nor a timeframe in which to reach it. So then, it should be no trouble to see what delights are hidden amongst the forest. And if you and the caretaker get distracted talking, then Cara and I can just walk among the flowers until the pair of you are done.”

“Trouble or not, you’ll never know now.” The windswept mare teased. “We’ll speak of it later, or not. It’s a mystery for now. I hope you are content with that, Cara Mia. If not, you have no one to blame but your own self.”

She glanced back at her strange herd mates, grinning as they seemed to peer around in search of scents or danger before agreeing to visiting the garden. It was good, to be among friends even in a strange land. Especially friends that would go flower hunting with her.

“Well now, as I am the one who loves roses, I think I should lead.” Ko’ikku murmured, skittering forward and playfully shoving at her friends with one clawed wing as she passed. “Move over then, let’s hope that they don’t mind some visitors out of the blue.”

Rounding the corner just ahead of her friends, she stopped in surprise at the sight of a strange black and scarlet mare standing among all matter of roses. The mare was carefully plucking away spent blooms and aged leaves, a wicker flower basket resting to one side likely waiting for her selection of flowers.

Clearing her throat, Ko’ikku spoke gently, hoping to avoid startling the gardener. “Excuse me, miss, and please pardon our intrusion. We were just traveling through the woods when I detected your garden. As someone fond of flowers myself, I was hoping you wouldn’t mind some visitors?”

Wordcount (Cara): 492
Wordcount (Otieno): 540
Wordcount (Ko'ikku): 521

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:28 pm
Absorbed in the careful pruning of her garden, Sonata carefully examined each shrub as she plucked at dead leaves and spent blooms. The recent rains meant the plans were well-watered and the glade gently misted. As the sun rose higher the mist would burn off, but for the moment the woods had the dreamy quality of early morning, the potential of magic around every corner. It was soothing, welcoming in a way the dead of night or the oncoming roll of twilight didn’t quite manage. The night was a time for predators, and dusk could be as well. As kin to them, Sona herself didn’t fear the slow unfurling of shadows over the land, but she knew others who did not feel the same.

“Besides, twilight and night are hardly the best time to see you, hmm my friends?” Sonata murmured to the flowers with a faint smile. Stepping back from yet another plant and judging it sufficiently attended to, Sonata eyed the next in the line and noticed it was in need of tending. “Hmm, did I skip you last time? I’m sorry about that…”

At her feet, the watering pail that doubled as a container for dead growth was already quite full, and the black and red mare judged it in need of emptying before she could continue with her task. With a soft hum of a half-remembered melody, Sona caught it by the handle and walked it to her small compost pile. Eying the rich earth pile with approval, she tilted the bucket and dumped out the dead leaves and blooms before she moved back to the next shrub in need of care.

The sudden arrival of a group of strangers at the edge of her grove caught Sona’s attention, and she tossed a withered rose into her pail before straightening and turning to face the new arrivals. They were a strange little trio, she had to admit. The first of the three was a tall mare, willowy in build and with a strange crest riving from her head. Her mane danced like mist on the wind, and delightful roses adorned her head and neck. Her wings were sharply angled and large, with a clawed joint in the middle that braced on the ground beside her clawed feet.

While others would be most likely to be distracted by the strange crest or the claws or the wings, Sonata gazed at the roses with a quiet, covetous curiosity. She almost didn’t notice the other two waiting at the mare’s back, a kirin mare in shades of brown and gold, and a stallion even stranger than the mare before her. His neck and crest were thickly feathered, his feet ending in large black claws, and his tail was a thick, muscular length that gave a cautious wag when she looked their way. On the whole they seemed harmless, wanderers that held her no ill-will.

“Good day and welcome, Wanderers.” Sona murmured as she stepped toward with a faint smile. “Most people do not come to my garden, but I am Sonata Notturno and if I can be of assistance to you I will be happy to. I am always happy to speak with someone who has knowledge of the trade. Please, feel free to come in and look around. Have you lost your way onto a certain destination?”

Wordcount: 559

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:33 pm
“Do not think I will forget the promise to thoroughly trounce any love who thinks to mistreat you.” The dainty Kirin mare murmured, smiling when Otieno gave her an affectionate cheek rub. “You cannot distract me from well-deserved vengeance on your behalf… I will not be waylaid in this. My memory is extensive, I will not be distracted.”

“We would never attempt to distract you from vengeance justly deserved.” Ko’ikku promised with a faint smile. She reached out with one wing-claw and gently patted at the smaller mare’s shoulder. “Not when it would be much more fun to help you seek it.”

“We might.” Otieno interjected with a playfully bitter undertone. “We very well might attempt to distract her from vengeance on someone I cared for.”

“Not if they had mistreated you, you wouldn’t.” Ko’ikku said sweetly. “We wouldn’t allow it. They would deserve her fury.”

“Well I would certainly have to try, at any rate!” The stallion puffed his crest up in mock indignation. “As a gentleman!”

“Fine, fine… Even if Otieno protested the whole thing, we’d just make sure he was sufficiently distracted and then handle it ourselves.” Ko’ikku continued, talking over him with a conspiratory grin to the kirin mare. “I would be happy to be your wing woman, if the case arose.”

”Your assistance would be greatly appreciated, Ko’ikku.” Cara murmured solemnly, giving Otieno a wicked grin. “It is good to have someone on my side.”

“Is this a full-blown conspiracy already?” Otieno muttered, glancing skyward as if he wanted to launch some sort of appeal. The stars weren’t out to wish on, and if there were any spirits around they seemed content to let his herd mates continue with their scheming. “I should have known I was doomed. I suppose I should concede gracefully, to minimize the humor of my defeat.”

"It may very well be." Ko'ikku pretended to muse, her expression gone thoughtful. "We didn't discuss it beforehand. So while not premeditated, I am fairly happy to jump on board. Anyone who does hurt you would deserve our wrath, and I am less than inclined to show them mercy."

Cara laughed and jostled Otieno again, smiling. “See then? We outnumber you and there are plans in place, it is best if you put the matter from your mind and trust us to handle it. But truly, Otieno, you are a good friend, and at the moment I can think of nothing you could do that would elicit my wrath. It seems quite sensible to assume that you are indeed safe from such a thing. Now then, I believe that Ko’ikku suggested an adventure?”

Shaking off his fake melancholy, the stallion gave a nod and a wink of one dark eye. “Indeed, our friendly lady of the sky did suggest an adventure. To an enchanted garden, no less! Let us continue onward, for the wildflowers are pleasing indeed and I would like to see some of these roses that Ko’ikku seems to favor.”

“You make an excellent point. Besides, it is not like we are in any great hurry to go anywhere.” Cara pointed out as she affectionately jostled Otieno and then skittered forward a few steps. “Let us go to this garden and speak to the gardener, my friends.”

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:34 pm

Pleased when the dark mare among the roses seemed to greet them so happily, Ko’ikku stepped forward again with a wide smile. “Good Day, Gardener. I do apologize for us wandering right in, but we were quite enchanted by the wildflowers leading up the avenue to your glade. As I myself am fond of roses, I was hoping you had the time to tell me a bit about the ones you have here? We might even trade samples, if you’re willing. I too would like to start up a garden, once I have found a place to settle within the lands. Anything you could tell me about trade or other growers would also be of interest, I always enjoy the chance to talk of the trade.”

“Some of us don’t have as much experience with roses, but we are impressed by the garden none-the-less.” Cara added as she stepped forward, giving her own wide smile. “That is Ko’ikku Ahmshere, and I am Cara Mia. This is our friend Otieno Makar. Your garden is one of the most beautiful things we have seen in our travels, it would be a sincere pleasure to spend the day among the flowers.”

With a nervous flair of his crest, Otieno moved forward at the mention of his name, inclining his head in a nod. “Good day, and it is a pleasure to meet you. We’re traveling through the lands in search of a new homeland, and are happy to meet friends along the way. Learning about flowers seems like a pleasant way to spend the day, if you are not too busy for a few guests. I do enjoy the chance to learn new things.”

Total:
Cara Mia Wordcount: 285
Ko'ikku Ahmshere Wordcount: 287
Otieno Makar Wordcount: 254

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:41 pm
Considering her family and background, Sonata rarely felt threatened by strangers. Though a Skinwalker would make her cautious and uneasy, anything shy of that was usually met with a reserved sort of curiosity. She saw no reason to be afraid of Kalona, they were kith and kin to her, though an aggressive nature was surely nothing to toy with. These strangers, while not Kalona or Skinwalker, were ‘other’ enough to make her curious and cautious… But then, with their sociable nature and kind words and the roses festooning the foremost speaker of the three, Sonata didn’t even bother with an initial air of reservation.

“It is no trouble at all, as far as I can tell, you didn’t flatten anything in your wandering.” Sonata teased gently, when the mare apologized for them pacing into the midst of the garden proper. It was times like this that Sonata was pleased she had arranged it into some semblance of order, if it had looked too wild she was sure that visitors would have stepped on something precious by now, and that would greatly sadden her.

Still, when the stranger spoke of sharing gardening knowledge and speaking of flowers, Sonata felt excitement fill her heart until it was fit to burst. “Oh, I would enjoy that immensely. There are not many in the area that will speak of roses with me, a few wanderers that I trade samples and knowledge with now and again are as close as I can get at the moment. The great traveling herd has already passed this way, and it will be some time before they can come again. I would love to talk roses and trade samples with you, for I greatly admire the ones that you’re wearing at the moment.”

Sonata turned her attention to the bronze and golden coated mare when she stepped forward, inclining her head in greeting. “Well if you would like to learn more about flowers, you are certainly in the right place for it. However, if you would like nothing more than to enjoy them, that is well enough too. There is a small pool near the far corner of the garden, fed by one of the brooks, if any of you are in need of water. There is also a bed for grazing if you are hungry, and wild berry bushes within the shade of the trees. Aside from that, I’m happy to tell you about all the flowers here in the garden, or if you have questions about the wildflowers leading in, we may walk that way and speak of them too, Cara Mia.”

She admired the strange stallion’s crest and his keen-dark eyes when he stepped forward, grinning widely as he too seemed inclined to spend a day among the flowers. His adornments were strange and interesting, clean bone and bead and carefully tended feathers. She wondered if he had made them, or merely traded or inherited them from his home herd. If he was an artist, he too might enjoy news of the traveling faire and the different artists among it.

“Your adornments are quite lovely, Otieno Makar.” Sonata murmured. “I wonder, did you make them yourself? Or are they per chance a mark of your rank in your herd, or an inherited artifact of a kind? If you do make such interesting adornments, I am sure you will do well here. There are many festivals where artists sell and trade their wares.”

Wordcount: 576

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:12 pm
Ko’ikku gave a wide grin when the mare joked of flattening some of the delicate flowers, but widened her eyes and gave a playful gasp. “Oh! I assure you we did nothing of the kind! We were most careful to remain on the path as we wound our way here, but the wildflowers and the variety were quite a stunning sight. Of course, now that I am here in the midst of your garden, I see that they were not your true passion.”

She paused to glance around the garden again, longing to step closer to the nearest rosebush and begin her exploration. “I think a trade of samples and knowledge would be a lovely start, though I do hope you will tell me some stories of the traveling herd. As for your compliments on my roses, I thank you kindly. They are a few of the varieties I love best from my home valley, I would be happy to trade some of my extras for a few of the reds I see among your garden. Their color is most intriguing. Do you mind if I get a closer look?”

Cara Mia smiled widely as she watched Ko’ikku and Sonata begin enthusing about flowers, glancing at Otieno to share her amusement. He seemed slightly bewildered by it all, but in his usual good-natured way. He’s willing to put up with all sorts of peculiar female behavior, and just takes it on faith that they’ll explain what they can, when they can.

“If it is all the same to you, I think you and Ko’ikku can start with the more complicated discussions. As you are both experienced in the trade and raising of roses, there is much you can share and speak of that I doubt I will understand. Otieno and I can walk over to admire the brook and the pool, as well as the flower beds… And then I think we will catch up with you for an explanation and any knowledge you’d care to share with us.”

Stepping toward the back corner of the garden, the kirin mare gave a faint bob of her head. “Thank you very much for your welcome, then, and I look forward to the chance to admire and explore your garden.”

Otieno craned his head in a regal bow when the florist complimented his adornments, his crest flaring in pleasure as he happily flicked his tail. “I thank you for your kind welcome and your invitation to explore the garden, Lady Sonata. You have my thanks yet again for your compliments on my items. I am happy to confirm that I am indeed an artist, making jewelry and adornments and other such things from what resources I may find. Bone and shell and stone are the best, they can be cut and polished and sometimes found in eye-catching colors or shapes. With feathers or herbs or flowers for more color, pigment, or used in the piece itself, one can make quite a few interesting things. It is a bit harder to do when traveling, but I hope that once we have sound a place to settle I may resume my crafting. If there are faires and markets and things as you have said, perhaps I can trade or sell them to those who find them pleasing.”

He took a gliding step after Cara, pausing to glance over his shoulder. “Perhaps when the Ladies of the Roses have had a chance to talk, you can tell me more of these festivals? I look forward to learning more about your garden and these festivals.”

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:25 pm
Content that her two friends and herd-mates would entertain themselves near the more practical elements of the garden, Ko’ikku gave Sonata a final wide smile before giving in to the lure of the roses. She drifted close to a nearby hedge with deep crimson blooms, and craned her head down to inhale their fragrance. They were pleasingly scented as well as eye-catching, and she rather imagined that Sonata’s careful work was in high demand among the patrons and festivals she cared to visit. The next hedge down sported particularly dark green leaves, and the roses growing amongst them were a soft white like fresh snow. The blooms were wide and wondrous, their petals silk-thin and lightly ruffled.

“These are incredible.” She admitted when the sound of hooves approaching met her ears. “Do any others in your family favor flowers, or is this your unique skill-set?”

The sight of a golden-yellow rose on the other side of a cluster of tea-rose bushes made her gape, and eagerly step closer to admire it. “And this! We never had such lovely yellow roses in the valley, though I feel my pinks were quite pleasing. I am slightly biased, but I suppose that is unavoidable.”

Cara left Ko’ikku to question Sonata at her leisure, strolling toward the back corner of the garden on dainty golden hooves. The sound of water bubbling over stone soon caught her ear, softly drowning out the murmurings of the mares among the roses. With a few final comments of his own she could tell that Otieno had also fare welled them, and trailed after her. The whisper of his claws amongst the grass was different than her hoof falls, but familiar to her after so long traveling together.

“This is a lovely place, organized but not regimented.” She admitted as she drew to a stop beside a flowerbed that was filled with herbs. Their savory scents flowed over her, keeping the soft fragrance of the roses at bay. With the glade open and the roses spaced well, their scent was not overpowering. All in all it seemed well-planned and meticulously attended to. “It is no surprise at all that she and Ko’ikku get along, really. I imagine that if we do not settle too far from here, Ko’ikku –or mayhap even Sonata- will ensure there are regular visits to the garden so that nothing new goes uncelebrated.”

“I believe Cara has the right of things.” Otieno admitted, watching the golden mare pace on ahead. He could see in Ko’ikku’s face that the roses were winning, and any moment now she’d be springing away to wander among the beds until every flower was a friend.

‘Ah, there she goes now.’ He clicks in amusement as his prediction comes true, turning to glance back at Sonata with a smile. “So then, let me not delay you further. You ladies go and speak of roses, and Cara and I will amuse ourselves near the water or the like. I look forward to speaking to you a little later, Lady Sonata, and thank you again for your hospitality.”

Stepping away at an easy stroll, Otieno noted Cara studying a bed of greenery with varying smells. Immediately hungry- and intrigued, he stepped to her side to consider them as well. “I agree it is a great undertaking, understated and perhaps a little deceptive. The more time one spends here, the more effort becomes apparent in the building and care of it. She would be a good friend to have, I think. Ko’ikku certainly seems to agree. Perhaps living nearby and visiting often would not be so bad?”

Total:
Ko'ikku Ahmshere Wordcount: 391
Cara Mia Wordcount: 385
Otieno Makar Wordcount: 426

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:21 pm
Sonata smiled widely at Ko’ikku and the theatricality of her response, laughing softly. “I can see that you were careful in your approach, and I thank you. You are kind indeed to compliment me for my work, and I am glad to share it with someone who can appreciate it. For all that some of my friends are appreciative of the results, they don’t quite understand how much time and effort is required in the care of the garden. But yes, you are right. While I am fond indeed of my wildflowers and the like, the roses are my favorite. They take up much of my time, but there are those in the traveling markets and herds that will trade well for them. It is a good arrangement for us all. Still, I am glad to meet another expert who might help me introduce some new varieties here.”

When Ko’ikku asked for a closer look Sonata stepped to one side, gesturing with a wing to encompass the nearest beds. “Please, do feel free. I would love to hear what you think of them.”

She stepped toward the bold red roses with a fond smile, inclining her head at the other mare’s praise. “I thank you, they are one of the first varieties I established. I tend to wear one of these, or a similar variety, when I am wandering about. They have become something of a signature for me, since they are the closest match I could find to my markings. While my family is happy to receive the roses as gifts, none of them garden or tend to flowers of any sort. Two of my three parents have a strong background in music, they are uncommonly gifted in that aspect. My other parent comes from a line of story-weavers and wanderers. They will trade tales for flowers, but at the moment no one else has decided to grow them. I don’t mind though, it is nice to have something that is my own… And they are always grateful to receive the newest variety as a gift, which means a lot to me.”

As Ko’ikku was suddenly attracted to the golden rose, Sonata gave a soft laugh and drifted after her again. “That is one of my newer varieties, a gift to my grandsire on my mother’s side. He was the first in the family to be born with a golden rose marking, it has become something of a signature for him. I will admit he is one of the more common visitors, though thankfully he’s not seen it in bloom yet. I am excited to hear what he thinks of the matter, but I think he’ll be pleased.”

She gave a soft laugh as the mare admitted to bias, shrugging. “I am not the best person to ask of bias in roses, for there are a few here that I could claim as favorites. Still, your pink roses are most lovely. I cannot blame you if they were your favorites, over the others in your home valley.”

Sonata paused, glancing back to the pair meandering through the far corner of the garden. “I do hope they don’t feel abandoned.”

Wordcount: 530

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:15 pm
“I couldn’t help but be otherwise.” Ko’ikku admitted with a faint smile. “I remember what it is like to put so much time and care into your garden. I certainly would not damage anyone’s if I could avoid it. Thankfully we were just walking along, not suffering a bad landing or running from anything. Even so, I promise to tread with care should such an occasion ever arise.”

Tossing her cloud-soft mane out of her face, the Pterosaur mare glanced at her new companion in interest. “I am sure they have no trouble admiring the flowers… But it is difficult to explain how long it can take to breed the correct variety or obtain a certain color. Then again, I am sure such a thing does not even cross their minds, in most cases. Still, your roses do reflect a great deal of time and care. They are most entrancing, and I can imagine that the local markets and herds are delighted by the selection you are able to offer.”

Nodding faintly at Sonata’s explanation, Ko’ikku scented the red roses again. “They do suit you beautiful, and the color and fragrance are glorious. Are they one of your more popular ones to trade as well? Or just something you gift to your family? I would love to trade you some of my pink varieties for some of your reds and what have you.. If you were interested.”

She shifted on her claws, pacing along the bed to admire some of the tea-rose varieties. Though smaller and of softer colors, she could still see the blooms being useful in the marking of garlands or crowns, or any number of wares. The soft scent of petals brought to mind the idea of candles or incense or rosewater, likely favored by the larger markets. She’d have to remember to ask for information about them, they might be good things to visit with her companions before they parted ways.

“It sounds as though your family expresses a variety of talents, which is not altogether an unfortunate thing.” She offered in a thoughtful tone. “After all, each of you has something different to offer, which makes life interesting does it not?”

She listened in interest to the comments regarding Sonata’s family, and the inspiration behind the golden rose. The flower was an interesting one, a good thing to remember even if it wouldn’t suit Ko’ikku herself. “Them? Pssh, they’re fine. I’m not sure they’ll be fine for long, they’ll probably wander back over here and try to get us to pay attention to them, but for a moment they’re alright.”

She glanced over at her herd mates as she spoke, not bothering to moderate her tone. Either they’d hear her or they wouldn’t though she was betting on the former. Cara in particular could be quite fun to tease, she usually gave it right back. Otieno would probably pout until he was sure they were teasing, his crest all flat and eyes wide and sulky. It would be damaging, if Ko wasn’t sure the majority of it was an act.

Word Count: 515  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:14 pm
“Oh, I do not think it all bad if we choose to settle near here.” Cara murmured with a shrug as she drifted idly around the bed of savory herbs. “In fact, it seems one of the better places we’ve found in our travels. Good company and a variety of landscapes, plenty of entertainments to be found. I am sure we could do far worse, in choosing a place to settle. Since the Lady Sonata is at home in this place, she might even recommend some unclaimed lands that a herd might settle in. Even if we elect common grounds which we might visit, once we’ve gone our separate ways, it would be more lovely a home than the one we left behind.”

The kirin-mare hesitated, head lifting from her inspection of the plants and mist-silver eyes gone distant and thoughtful. “Though I realize that isn’t saying much, I trust you to understand what I mean.”

She gave a soft laugh, shaking her head and sending her black mane to tumbling about her. “I cannot seem to speak clearly today… I guess I am all but run-away with the enchantment of it all. A silly filly wandering in a garden.”

Humming to herself and meandering to a smaller flowerbed, Cara Mia glanced in Ko’ikku’s direction and noted that the mare was still happily chattering with their impromptu hostess. There was such joy and interest in her companion’s face that Cara immediately pondered additional excuses to extend their time in the garden. Clearly Ko’ikku was thrilled to have another expert to speak to, and they hadn’t even begun trading flowers yet, as far as she could tell. ‘This could go on for ages, surely we must not settle too far away. With wings they could easily make a longer journey than Otieno or I, but it might be nice for us all to have a friend to visit in this new home.’

“Indeed, it seems like there would be little downside, if any.” Otieno agreed with an idle flick of his tail. “I find the place rather intriguing, and the company is quite fine. The different terrains hold the most interest to me, but I imagine if Sonata would take it easy on her less-learned students, it would be quite fun to visit the garden and learn more about what grows here. Having friends is good when one wishes to trade or sell wares, besides. If the Lady Sonata might like trinkets, then perhaps some friends will as well. So then, I have the option to make and trade, as I like. Which means that a roost nearby would be beneficial to myself as well as Ko’ikku. Then it seems, we just need some specific reason for you to stay near here. A trade or a calling or some sort of benefit that elevates this place over others that we might choose to settle in.”

Shifting on his claws, Otieno tilted his head and snuffled at some of the herbs. “Many of these are unfamiliar to me, do you know much of them? I wonder if any of them retain their fragrance once they are dried? If so, they might be an interesting addition to an amulet or the like. Knowing any special properties would also be helpful, of course.”

“You make a fair point in that, I can’t help but agree.” Cara Mia nodded, flicking her tail idly as she pondered. The downside of traveling with such creative individuals was they made her feel like she were anything but. Then again, she did lack clever claws that these two boasted, though it didn’t seem to be slowing Sonata down in the slightest. “Though I have no calling like you and Ko’ikku do, I am sure the benefit of my friends would be a good a reason as any to begin with. We can always see about me finding a hobby by wandering the Faires until something catches my attention.”

Making a considering noise, Cara drifted toward a row of fruit trees and nodded to the white, blue and purple flowers growing in the partial-shade. “I imagine you recognize some of the varieties of lavender there, though Sonata has more than I’m familiar with myself. Still, they all smell similar, and the appearance is otherwise consistent. It deters pests, makes for a lovely water to wash with, rather like rosewater? But it’s good for purification, in the water or even burnt like an incense. The fragrance is also relaxing. And over here is lemongrass, which is also good for purification. Sometimes it’s added to water or tea for flavoring. This is rosemary, which can be used to ward off evil spirits, flavor food, and attract good energy, as well as for blessings or purification…”

“Well we certainly would rather have you close than not, of course.” The stallion admitted with a fond jostle to the dainty mare’s shoulder. “But if you found something that suited you in a different place, I’m sure we’d be happy to travel to where you are. So if you want to keep looking for a place that speaks to you, I don’t mind traveling on. I imagine if we decide to leave Ko’ikku here, we’ll at least have a perfectly accurate idea of where to look for her later. I can’t imagine her wandering all that far.”

Following the copper-coated mare when she paced along the flowerbeds, he clicked faintly and listened with interest.

“I’m not sure we’ll have to look all that hard to find you a hobby.” Otieno grinned, listening to the facts and features she rattled off as she walked around the flowerbeds. “I certainly didn’t expect all that information with so little provocation. Maybe you should be a teacher for the herds instead, and bring little fillies and colts on field trips to the garden to learn about flowers and herbs?”

He tilted his head, imagining the scene. “I think you should do that, regardless. It would be cute. I am definitely going to bring the idea up with Sonata. Then it will be perfect. Ko can stay for the roses and you to teach about herb gardens and things, and I will find and make trinkets for the friends we make.”

(Cara Mia Wordcount: 564)
(Otieno Makar Wordcount: 475)

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Magic Cat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:26 pm
“You are very kind to do so.” Sonata murmured with a smile, nodding in agreement. “Yes, I find others who are not invested in the flowers have much less patience in such a thing, as well. Some of them want a new variety instantly, as if we can just make their desired color appear by magic. Nothing is guaranteed, and even if a color or combination of colors is possible, it may take years upon years, or generations upon generations, of selected breeding and splicing to get to where you want to be.”

The kalona-cross mare gave a faint shrug, flaring and folding her wings back into place. The mention of the local markets and faires did make her smile, and she nodded in agreement to Ko’ikku’s words. “Yes, I have a few specific friends among one of the larger festival groups. Their herd regularly travels to sell wares and put on shows, great feats of magic and daring and comedy, the likes of which I imagine few have seen outside of their travels. Anyway, one of them is kind enough to make candles and oils using some of my roses… And others still make dye or teas or fragrance. They also sometimes offer a rosewater or lavender water you can buy to wash your face, or familiars wash their hands and so on? So sometimes I offer them flowers for that as well. It is all terribly fascinating. I keep telling myself that one day I shall find someone to overlook the garden for a few days, and I will travel to their home grounds and see if they will teach me some of their craft. It is just too much to leave the garden unattended the length of my journey and visit, I feel.”

She hummed and shifted on her feet, glancing toward the pair that were wandering among her herb and spice beds. “Oh, it appears your friends have found that I grow more than flowers here. They’ve wandered into herbs and spices and the fruit trees and such. Perhaps they might want to try some of the growings? There should be some berries remaining on the bushes, and the lemongrass and parsley and all the mint varieties are quite tasty. If you would like to try some, or just to tour the far beds, I will be happy to show you around.”

She glanced toward the pair as they meandered among her herb garden. “Then again, your friend Cara Mia seems to have it well in hand. Is there any chance she and you might volunteer? It would probably be in the spring. But if you two wouldn’t mind visiting and checking on the flowers, I could travel to the Faire. Of course, if you decide to settle here and raise some of your roses, I am sure they’d love to meet you too. None of my pinks are as beautiful as the ones you’re wearing.”

Word Count: 490

Open/Private Canon IC RP

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces