Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN: Deus Ex Machina

Back to Guilds

Welcome to Deus Ex Machina, a humble training facility located on a remote island. 

Reply THIS IS HALLOWEEN: Deus Ex Machina Training Facilities
[PRP] Workplace Hazards (Zeke/Oliver) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:56 pm
Oliver having a really bad day. Any outside observer might say most of his days were not so great, with the way he spent near endless hours in the lab working, rarely seeing friends, rarely sleeping in, or even sleeping in his own bed... It was a lifestyle many people would find little joy in, but the kid was under the impression it was just fine.

However, today was legitimately a bad day. By anyone's accounts.

When Oliver walked into the infirmary it was shortly after dinner time. He looked even more nervous and shaky than usual, a bit pale, and definitely in some pain. At a quick glance it looked like he was simply carrying his coat in his arms, but his posture disguised the way his right arm was cradled close against his body. As usual, he was trying his best to act like nothing was really wrong and failing horribly.

Beejoux
Here you go! <3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:39 pm
Zeke was on an evening rotation that night, had only just started his shift when he noticed Oliver making his way into the infirmary. It meant he was a bit more alert than he might otherwise have been if it had been the end of a long shift, which meant the other intermediate's posture rather quickly caught the Mist's attention.

Now, if Zeke wasn't familiar with Oliver he probably would have simply let the other man go on his merry way without so much as a word, but since he did know him, and since he had no reason to dislike the mild-mannered doorstop of a kid, he was actually motivated to do something. So, leaving his coffee mug at the front desk, the Mist hurried to catch up with the small Life, falling into step beside him.

"You're hurt." It wasn't a question, and as the passed a door to an examination room Zeke was reaching across Oliver to open it, blocking the other man's way, and making it obvious he was to head inside for doctoring. "What happened?"

grey dragon

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:47 pm
Oliver startled at being approached so abruptly. "Ah, y-yeah... I... um... It usually isn't a big deal, but I was on a mission earlier, a-and my shield hadn't recovered enough... I-it's not the minipet's fault... The new trainee was handling it roughly, i-it was getting scared... ow..."

The kid let himself be herded into a room without any protest, and took a seat on the examination table without any coercion required. Usually he insisted on doing things himself so as to not be a bother, compliance was definitely a sign he was not well. When he dropped his coat on the table next to him, it no longer hid the swollen, discoloured mess that was his right arm. Large sections of skin were mottled with deep purple flesh and dark blisters, centered around what looked like a single dark puncture on his forearm.

"The antivenom... um... didn't get moved back to the labs when the minipets were moved..." Oliver let out a ragged breath. "I was sent here... Copperhead manticat, c-can you find it for me?"

Beejoux

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:10 am
Zeke never did have much in the way of bedside manner, but that wasn't much of a requirement here. So it should come as no surprise the taller man let out a hiss of a wince when the arm came into view, grimacing visibly. "That is a nasty sting...bite?" What the ******** was a manticat? A mini pet, apparently. Zeke hadn't spent much time with the little fear creatures.

"Yeaah." Tearing his attention away from the painful state of Oliver's arm to glance back out the door. Antivenoms would be down the hall, in the lap. "Hang tight for a minute, I'll be right back."

He'd seen his fair share of strange things come into the infirmary. By now nothing should have surprised him, but occasional something did. Giving Oliver's arm a lady look, he headed out the door and down the hall. Returning about five minutes later with a small bottle in hand.

grey dragon

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:39 am
"Sting," Oliver confirmed weakly. With a fully functioning shield he never had to think twice about the miniature nightmares they kept in the labs on the island, not even the ones that grew from fears of the most venomous critters.

As Zeke left the room, he slid back to lean against the wall. Sure he could have let the trainee take the hit, but the manticat had been so stressed out... Oliver just had to do the stupid thing, wearing his heart on his sleeve and interfering. Although it was agony at the moment, he knew his prognosis was just fine. Jökul would have it healed up in a couple days.

The door clicked open when Zeke returned, and Oliver forced himself to sit up straight once again. Without a word he held out his good arm. As much as he hated having needles stuck in him, there were battles he had to pick.

Beejoux

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:20 pm
Antivenom in hand, Zeke wasted little time in fetching a needle and plugging it into the soft cap of the bottle to draw out the desired amount. He was meticulous as he did so, a mark to why they had him here in the infirmary, despite his less than stellar bedside manner. The syringe was given a small tap of his nail, shaking free any bubbles, and the plunger given the smallest of presses until a single drop rolled down from the tip of the needle.

Prepped, he set it on a sterile tray, then helped himself to a pair of gloves, a few gauze pads, an antiseptic packet, and a half used roll of medical tape. The tray itself was then carried over to where Oliver was sitting.

"Probably going to want to avoid handling poisonous minis when you're shields low, in the future." As if that wasn't obvious. The smile, condescending as it was, still managed to turn the advice into an ironic joke, softening them.

He tore the antiseptic open, then pushed up the sleeve of Oliver's shirt so he could swab the cold little towelette over the other trainee's shoulder. When it was clean, he reached for the needle.

grey dragon

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:37 pm
"Y-yeah..." Oliver muttered weakly. He barely heard what Zeke was saying, at that point he was running on autopilot. Consistent thought was taking a backseat to the pain. It was a good thing minipets really couldn't survive on their own outside Halloween, a normal human would be no match for that horrible venom

"I think... um... I might need to take a tylenol..." He murmured, only aware of Zeke's actions on the most basic level. He looked like he was going to pass out any minute.

Beejoux

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:48 am
It wasn't a tylenol Oliver needed, it was the anti-venom in the needle. Still, Zeke shifted his grip on the thing as the Life began to sway, reaching for his shoulders so he could ease him back to rest against the wall. Just a temporary means to keep him from falling over long enough for the injection to be given.

With Oliver settled it would only take a moment. A small poke the other man probably didn't even feel, and then Zeke was coaxing him down to lay on the cot before turning to discard the needle in the proper bin.

When he was done he returned, dragging a stool over so he could take a seat next to his fellow trainee. Monitoring him for any further deterioration, or signs of improvement.

grey dragon

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:32 pm
Oliver flinched as the anti-venom was administered, but he was understandably distracted. He didn't even seem particularly frightened. Usually just being in the infirmary was enough to give him nervous shakes, and anyone who tended to him after missions knew he was a flight risk. This time he fell over and put his feet up without protest.

Once Zeke sat down next to him, the kid murmured a small apology, and then said something so quietly it was completely unintelligible. Probably more apologies.

Beejoux

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:37 pm
The Mist waved off the apology with a shake of his head. "Just rest now, let the anti-venom do it's job." Assuming it worked as it was supposed to, Oliver would be feeling fine within the next fifteen minutes or so. It was just a matter of keeping an eye on him until those signs of improvement made themselves obvious.

In the mean time, Zeke lay the back of his hand against Oliver's brow, testing his fever. It hadn't gotten worst.

grey dragon

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:14 pm
Resting was one thing Oliver was not good at. The goal of his infirmary trip, acquisition of the anti-venom, had been accomplished and he could only stay calm and quiet for so long before the urge to escape hit him. And it wasn't going to wait fifteen minutes.

The moment Zeke's hand landed on his forehead, Oliver shifted nervously. "I should... um, go back to the lab, o-or my room or something... I don't want to keep you," he protested weakly. "I-I'm sure you have more important things to do."

Beejoux

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:04 am
"No." His hand shifted from Oliver's forehead to land on his shoulder, holding him down. "You're going to keep your a** planted where it is until I clear you to leave." His tone left very little room for negotiation. Nor did the weight of his hand on his shoulder. They might have been equal rank, but Zeke was considerably bigger.

"If you run off, and fur whatever reason that anti-venom doesn't work, guess whose a** is on the line when you get wheeled in here worst. Or dead." It really wasn't a scare tactic, Zeke was just that brutally honest. The effect was likely the same, though.

grey dragon

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:03 pm
Oliver didn't try to argue. He knew it would take some crazy fluke to actually die from that sting, with the anti-venom administered and Jökul already speeding the recovery process, but someone would certainly get in trouble if he was unlucky enough for it to happen...

He closed his eyes and let out a pained breath, he just had to sit tight until things got better.

After a couple quiet seconds he glanced back up at Zeke. "You do a lot of, ah... infirmary work... Do you ever get really scared? That someone might die?"

Beejoux

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:10 am
Whatever Oliver might have been hoping for in an answer, he wasn't likely to find it in Zeke. The Mist looked down at him with brows arched, expression curious. "Not really, only if I'm really familiar with the person receiving care." It was both what made him good at what he did, and ill suited. There was very little chance of Zeke getting overly emotional on the job, or letting deaths drag him down. On the flip side, he had some utterly lousy bed side manner.

"People die here everyday," he went on, talking about the organization as a whole now, and not the infirmary itself. "It's one of the hazards of being here, doing what we do."

There had been four other hunters that had gone with Zeke and the others into the Sahara, and all four of them had died. It wasn't something Zeke ever lost any sleep over, he hadn't known them. What did bother him was Ever's disappearance over the holidays, or Harley getting in over her head. They mattered to him, the rest of the island, save a few exceptions, did not.

grey dragon

Beejoux

Wrathful Demigod

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:42 pm
It was quite a dramatic difference between the two, Oliver's empathy was the source of his own success and troubles in the infirmary. He felt too much, for strangers and friends alike, and while it pushed him to do well and make use of his bright mind, it took far too much of a toll on his delicate nerves. He sometimes wished he could draw such clean lines between what he should care about and what he should let go of.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to it..." Oliver muttered, almost like another apology. "Even i-if I don't know them, there's so much pain, all the time..."

He shifted restlessly, but it had no effect on the pain from the sting. The anti-venom had already begun to neutralize the poison, keeping the patches of dark, mottled skin and swollen tissue from creeping farther up his arm, but it didn't feel like it was making any difference at all.

Beejoux

THIS IS HALLOWEEN: Deus Ex Machina Training Facilities

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces