Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply [IC] Ithambo'hlabathi Lands [IC]
[ORP-Mkhulu] Hippo Hunt [Closed; for pride members] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:04 pm
Udaka - continue
Sturm - indifferent

As the Enda approached and relayed the information to them, Udaka snorted softly. Wonderful, they were getting agitated, just like her. She was about ready to take on a hippo alone just to get out some frustrations on its thick, blubbery hide.She felt like she could move as fast as a cheetah for as long as she needed such was her irritation. At herself, of course, but still. It was easy to see she wasn't ready to sit around and wait.

"I'd rather deal with maybe spotting a croc than definitely letting this opportunity get away from us. If we wait, the sun will come up and even if the hippos haven't gone off by then, they'll definitely be able to see us."

---

Sturm hummed softly as Ilanga agreed with him about the male. Good, he remembered even those that he didn't see often. As Umfana gave his news the blue-maned lion waited to see what others would say. He wasn't in charge here, this was the lioness' decision. He'd gladly go along with what what others decided would be best.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:35 pm
Andhaka made a rumbling sound at the news, displeased by the content of the report, though not by the messenger. To Umfana, he dipped his head in appreciation before the Enda made his way to higher ground. And then Imbali gave him that 'help me' look, causing a sour expression on the male that lasted only for a moment before it returned to something more neutral.

"We knew this hunt would be dangerous, but you are the hunters, and I will defer to whatever your judgement is," he decided, probably less help than the dappled lioness would have liked.

"Let's get on with it already!" Uheshe was quick to chime in. She'd come here to kill a hippo, and that was damn well what she was going to do! Umfana's speculation that they might have to call off the hunt if they waited was simply unacceptable, there was no way she was going to just turn around and go home.

__

Andhaka: indifferent
Uheshe: continue  

Meepfur
Vice Captain

Syrius Lionwing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:50 pm
Kokulzawa - Wait

With the news of crocodiles potentially in the water, kokulzawa looked at her sisters and stopped. She didn't want to hold them back, she knew they were excited, but hippos were one thing, crocodiles were another.

She frowns hesitating hoping her sisters would wait, would er on caution, but she would not stop them if they wanted to dive in. She would go with them and she would fight beside them. She would protect them from the dangers ahead. That was her job after all.

Still she would not stop them from going, she just hoped they would wait for a moment, to think, to assess, to just wait and see.

AstoriaFallen
!

Tanakako
!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:01 pm
Uthuli pondered what they could do. On the one hand waiting for a while was the safer option, and even if they couldn't hunt down a hippo they could redirect their attention to easier, less dangerous prey if need be. Yet this made the lioness cringe. The idea of going out all this way, dealing with bee stings that still were painful and buzzards that wouldn't leave them alone made giving up seem not worth it.

"Let's keep going." She chided in her opinion. "No use just sitting here and risk losing our prey, let's just jump 'em while we still have the chance!" Crocs or no crocs, she wanted to keep the hunt going.  

CaliWolfe

Shy Prophet

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:20 pm
"Nice to talk to you Sturm," Inkungu said, "I'm Inkungu, I'm fairly new too. I joined with my sister just before Bangizwe joined the pride."

She had to focus on where she put her paws for a while, and when she looked up she had lost Sturm among the others in the hunting party. Ah, well... She could always chat more with him later.

"I think we should continue," she said, when Imbali asked for opinions, "That's what we came here for!"

SilverLutz

---

Kokumo remembered Han's warning to be careful. She had been prepared to hunt a hippo, but throwing crocodiles into the mix. No. There were too many unknowns for her taste.

"I think we should wait," she said, "See what we're dealing with here."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:36 pm
Ilanga -Wait
Sobala -Wait

Ilanga listened closely, but despite the warning she itched to get stuck in, however, she had seen a crocodile up close and she knew she was fast, no way was she that fast. Those burgers were vicious, remodels and would slice even a big Umholi in half.

"I suggest we scout it a bit, but don't wait too long..." She added, tone cautious.

Sobala glanced over at Koku, but for once she was in complete agreement with their elder sibling. "Rushing straight into a crocodile's jaws does not sound fun..." She whispered to her sisters, wincing slightly at the after how excited and eager she was to hunt hippo... Crocs were a whole other issue.

Syrius Lionwing

AstoriaFallen

Tanakako

Allied Recalibrator

Quaji
Crew

Noble Cub

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:34 pm
User Image
HP: 500

Continue: 4 | Indifferent: 2 | Wait: 4
TIME TO HUNT

It seemed like the lionesses wanted to continue with the hunt, regardless of any potential consequences and even Andhaka didn't seem to care either way. Imbali didn't really mind anyways. It had taken so long to get this hunt organized and waiting for these large cows to move in the right place for them to even think of hunting them down. There was a small pod, consisting of three..no, four hippos. This was their target for tonight. Dropping down low to the ground, she began creeping towards the largest of the group, but currently the only one they could easily reach. It was close to the water, but not too close. Hopefully there'd be no surprises once they got closer, like deep mud... The one they were after was the largest of the three, easily two and a half tons, maybe more.

They couldn't let it get to the water or they'd lose it... Until one of them made a move, they had the advantage of being hidden. Not that the advantage will do much good against that thick hide, but it'd be something at least. Hopefully whoever moved first didn't spook the entire pod and cause their all to come after them, but from their observations, it didn't really seem like hippos typically cared what happened to their other podmates so long as the calves weren't in danger.

[OOC]
Lots of info this time around a rolling update! Please read over everything in this post before rolling or posting.
Nothing much changed, I just added in the option of rolling multiple characters in the same post and took out the wait to post again.

SITUATION
There are four hippos within eyesight of the hunting party. One on the banks (closest to them and the one they're going after), one on the other side of the river and with a calf and one in the water.

BATTLE INFORMATION
From now on, if your SoA is doing damage, you will need to include the form located in the "Rolling Information" at the top of each post you do any sort of rolling in that is directed towards the hippo. This form, as well as rolling information is found in the third post on the first page.

Hippos are extremely dangerous and should not be taken lightly. There's a reason the pride doesn't hunt them often. No efforts should be made to go after the head (unless you WANT to) and a majority of the attacks should be made on it's rump and along the spine by jumping on it. Keep in mind they are awkwardly shaped and lions cannot get their jaws around much of it. With thick skin, scraping is likely all your lion will do. Claws can be used and will likely be doing a majority of the work here. This is a battle of stamina and wits, not brute strength. Can the hunting party wear it down or will the hippo outlast them?

It will be fairly common for lionesses to back off, lay down, recover a bit and wait for an opening before continuing. Trying to be cool and land a quick killing blow by going around the front or to close to the head will likely leave you with a tusk in the neck. Ouch.

ROLLING CHANGES
There has been a minor change on how rolling multiple characters will be handled.

Just add an extra two dice per extra character you're rolling for. Please specify when you roll multiple which dice apply to which SoA.

To find an adolescent's roll when rolling with an adult, you roll all 6-sided dice. If the dice applicable to them roll greater than 4, turn them into a 4.
I don't think there any adolescents participating, but I put this in just in case. <3

With this change, you no longer have to wait the three posts between your last post and your next one! Just be sure your previous post is filled out before posting again!

EVENTS
Once its health reaches a certain point, I will call for a pause. Please do not post if this happens! In this pause, an event will happen and you will have a certain amount of time to respond. There are no penalties for not responding, but responding may grant bonuses, unlock extra prizes, etc.

QUESTIONS
If you have a question about anything relating to this ORP, you may either ask it here, but please quote me, quote me in the main thread and ask there, IM me on AIM (my sn is nnrgh) or PM me.

UNABLE TO POST OR JOINING LATE?
If you are unable to post or late to joining us, don't worry about it~ <3 It is assumed that everyone who signed up is present and participating, but otherwise have just been silent or not done anything noteworthy. Just join back in whenever you want!

Meepfur

Lethrossen

SilverLutz

CaliWolfe

Annchen

Zosie

Tanakako

AstoriaFallen

Excited Apathy

belloblossom

Syrius Lionwing

SilverLutz rolled 4 6-sided dice: 2, 3, 6, 3 Total: 14 (4-24)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:52 pm
Roll Information
Name of Lion: Udaka
Adult or Adolescent: Adult
Male or Female: Female
What did you roll: 2, 3
Total damage: 2

Roll Information
Name of Lion: Sturm
Male or Female: Male
What did you roll: 6, 3
Total damage: 0

Udaka was glad they decided to move on to the river despite the chance of crocodiles. As long as they stayed out of the water they should be fine. Hopefully the hippo wouldn't move any closer to the water's edge...or that if the crocs got hungry they'd go after easier prey. She ducked down low and crawled forward but didn't advance much further, her ears and eyes alert. She wanted to see just where the hippo was and size it up before doing anything. And there it was...big and dumb looking, but those teeth...she shivered slightly before deciding to go for it. If she didn't, she'd probably do something dumb.

Using the darkness to cover her approach, she moved in downwind of the giant, her coloration helping her blend in with the dirt. She got within striking distance and reached out quickly with a slash of her claws, making a light connection with the thing's hindquarters before darting back. Ha...time for the fun to begin!

Sturm followed suit, but he hung more to the back of the pack. Again, this was a hunt for the lioness'. He'd help out when he could, but he wasn't going to be the one to make a move first. Let the ladies go, then he'd follow. And it was probably a good idea to let the Umholi go before him as well if he planned on fighting.  

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

AstoriaFallen rolled 2 6-sided dice: 5, 4 Total: 9 (2-12)

AstoriaFallen

AstoriaFallen

Winter Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:13 pm
Roll Information
Name of Lion: Yimvelo
What did you roll: 5, 4
Total damage: 0

She was glad that they were going to get the hunt underway and slowly slinked along the ground as low as she could towards the large beast that lay upon the bank. She watched as one of the female reached out and struck her mark and when one of the males tried he missed. She came around the other side and slashed out and the hindquarters of the beast but it moved and she missed her mark. Maybe she'd hit it the next time.

[Hippo HP: 498]

Tanakako

Syrius Lionwing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:33 pm
[OOC]

Chiming in, you guys don't need to keep track of the hippo's health. I'll be doing that. c:
Also in the "what did you roll" section of the form, please include both dice rolls for that SoA, not just the first or second.

Quaji
Crew

Noble Cub

SilverLutz rolled 2 6-sided dice: 3, 3 Total: 6 (2-12)

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:49 pm
[Sturm is gonna hang back for now to let the gals get it going]

Roll Information
Name of Lion: Udaka
What did you roll: 3, 3

Yimvelo joined in the attack but her swipe went wide, but Udaka was there again, striking out with her claws after finding a new position behind the hippo. Staying in one spot could be dangerous here. After making another scratch she backed off, not wanting the hippo to get a good read on where she'd strike next.  
CaliWolfe rolled 2 6-sided dice: 3, 4 Total: 7 (2-12)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:52 pm
Roll Information
Name of Lion: Uthuli
What did you roll: 3, 4

This was it, time for the action. With a grin of pleasure at her opinion having been the majority vote Uthuli moved towards the prey, grass tickling her nose as she lowered herself to the ground. She might have been brighter and thus at a slighter disadvantage but Uthuli still did not hesitate in lunging forward and scrapping lightly at the hippo before her.

She had landed with a splash into the water, but thankfully it was close enough to shore that she was able to find her footing and quickly run out, a temporary retreat as she planned her next move.

This was going to be fun...  

CaliWolfe

Shy Prophet

AstoriaFallen rolled 2 6-sided dice: 4, 6 Total: 10 (2-12)

AstoriaFallen

AstoriaFallen

Winter Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:56 pm
Roll Information
Name of Lion: Yimvelo
What did you roll: 4, 6
Total damage: 6

Udaka and the other lionesses glancing blows seemed to set her in a position she finally had some good ground because she lashed out with her claws and hit it on it's midsection and she leaped back out of range and moved positions so find another position to attack from while avoiding the hippos head as much as possible. Her sisters needed to get in here with her.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:08 pm
CaliWolfe

[OOC]

^ ^ Seems there was a little confusion in the rolling there.
Uthuli did 2 damage, not 5. First dice determines if it's a miss, glancing blow, hit or critical hit. Second dice determines for how much they hit. She rolled a 3 (glancing blow) and a 4 (for damage), which is 2.

Quaji
Crew

Noble Cub

CaliWolfe

Shy Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:10 pm
Quaji
CaliWolfe

[OOC]

^ ^ Seems there was a little confusion in the rolling there.
Uthuli did 2 damage, not 5. First dice determines if it's a miss, glancing blow, hit or critical hit. Second dice determines for how much they hit. She rolled a 3 (glancing blow) and a 4 (for damage), which is 2.

Ah, my bad, thank you Quaji! >>  
[IC] Ithambo'hlabathi Lands [IC]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces