Welcome to Gaia! ::

River of Polls : A GUILD OF RANDOMNESS AND EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

Back to Guilds

A random-based guild in which you may literally spam, chat, and do whatever you want. (Just follow the TOS and have fun!!!) 

Tags: Spam, Polls, Chat, Everything, Hangout, Role-playing, Role, Play, Word, Games, Quizzes, Discussion, Friends, Roleplay 

Reply River of Polls
I'm a caregiver now.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I'm kinda nervous, havin' someone's life depend on me, in a way
  Not the type to handle such a responsibility. XP
View Results

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:54 pm
Yup. Startin' tomorrow, for the next monthish, every weekday, I am in charge of lookin' after someone who just had chemotherapy, radiation, and a bone marrow transplant. I get to commute to John Hopkins every Sunday and then back to my apartment (2 and a halfish hours away) every Friday. I think the 5 day separation from my cats is gonna be the hardest.

Oh well. At least it pays.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:51 pm
Semok
Yup. Startin' tomorrow, for the next monthish, every weekday, I am in charge of lookin' after someone who just had chemotherapy, radiation, and a bone marrow transplant. I get to commute to John Hopkins every Sunday and then back to my apartment (2 and a halfish hours away) every Friday. I think the 5 day separation from my cats is gonna be the hardest.

How did this go? Being a caregiver is very hard emotionally!  

safkef

Liberal Shopper

10,550 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Millionaire 200

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:01 pm
safkef
Semok

How did this go? Being a caregiver is very hard emotionally!

I'm actually still doin' it. Right when she was about to get discharged, she contracted a virus and had to stay later.

I have to say, I'm startin' to get close to my wit's end, just because I'm not one to take such a responsibility well. I hate the anxiety of knowin' that if I mess up in any way or if anythin' goes wrong, she could die in a matter of hours. A few weeks back, she got a fever and I had to rush her to the hospital late at night. I must say, city drivin', even late at night, it pretty scary. I have such a huge amount of respect for people who are caregivers for a much longer time and more consistently, as well as for nurses. There are many jobs out there that I know I could never do.

I will say that it does also feel rewarding, and the person says I'm doin' a good job. I feel bad, though, because I few times I made some mistakes, like heatin' somethin' up too much or not enough. I've also had to stay now for longer period than usual, and with my college classes starting up as well, it's been a hectic past few weeks. I've been here for 6 days straight, and tomorrow I leave early morning, drive 3 hours to my apartment, head to my bank and mva for legal stuff, run to my college classes, and as soon as my classes are over at 8pm, I gotta drive all the way back 3 hours and caregive until she's discharged or for at least another 5 days.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:05 pm
You should be so proud of yourself!! You have taken on a lot but you are clearly up to the task! I was a caregiver for 5 years. I quit about 2 years after my mom died. I was so burned out. My daughter's dad is a caregiver for the last 6 years. He's not a great dad but he's an incredible caregiver!! wink Take care of yourself and have confidence that you are rockin' the crap out of this!  

safkef

Liberal Shopper

10,550 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Millionaire 200

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:09 pm
safkef
You should be so proud of yourself!! You have taken on a lot but you are clearly up to the task! I was a caregiver for 5 years. I quit about 2 years after my mom died. I was so burned out. My daughter's dad is a caregiver for the last 6 years. He's not a great dad but he's an incredible caregiver!! wink Take care of yourself and have confidence that you are rockin' the crap out of this!

I can't imagine how anyone could be a caregiver for so long. You must be very strong. Also, I'm sorry about your mother, though it sounds like it was a while back.

I must say, being at the place I'm at, I've seen just how kind and caring people can truly be, which is a nice thing to get to see, though I wish it didn't have to be shown due to people being in rough times. That being said, I also get the pleasure of seeing the flip side of it, since the place I'm staying is in the thick of downtown Baltimore city.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:14 pm
Semok
safkef

I can't imagine how anyone could be a caregiver for so long. You must be very strong. Also, I'm sorry about your mother, though it sounds like it was a while back.

I must say, being at the place I'm at, I've seen just how kind and caring people can truly be, which is a nice thing to get to see, though I wish it didn't have to be shown due to people being in rough times. That being said, I also get the pleasure of seeing the flip side of it, since the place I'm staying is in the thick of downtown Baltimore city.

Thank you for your kindness! It was 18 1/2 years ago....I miss her everyday!  

safkef

Liberal Shopper

10,550 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Millionaire 200

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:47 pm
safkef
Semok
safkef

I'd imagine you still would. One thing I always say, though, is that it is the memories we have of people that make them special to us, so as long as we have their memories, they are always with us. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:27 pm
Semok
safkef
Semok
safkef

I'd imagine you still would. One thing I always say, though, is that it is the memories we have of people that make them special to us, so as long as we have their memories, they are always with us. 3nodding

So true! Also, she lives on so much in my daughter!  

safkef

Liberal Shopper

10,550 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Millionaire 200

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:32 am
safkef
Semok
safkef
Semok
safkef

So true! Also, she lives on so much in my daughter!

That's splendid!  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:13 pm
Drove the person home today, markin' the end of my caregivin'.  

Semok

Fuzzy Lunatic

21,900 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Conventioneer 300
River of Polls

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items