As the evening wore on and the group settled to camp the lion went to wander. The cliffs were becoming to take over their path and past that was the expanse of the ocean dotted with smaller islands and even more sharp rocks. Here it seemed the ocean had a vicious taste to it unlike the softer beaches of the southern shores. As he wandered forward Sekayi found himself staring over the cliffs. So this is the ocean. What a huge puddle of water it was. The lion smirked at the thought, Shame it’s too salty to drink.. Still it really was a gorgeous piece of work to see. Perhaps finally seeing it after hearing tales all these years made the image truly worth it.

“Great isn’t it?” The familiar booming voice of Xennek echoed through the cliffs, “Almost makes me regret not coming back sooner.” His last sentence was soft and thoughtful. Lately the boisterous lion had toned down and was slower about moving forward. Ever since Sekayi had caught him out the other evening things were falling into place and the younger lion couldn’t help feeling bad for the older warrior. For him visiting the ocean was like visiting a graveyard full of treasured memories and lost dreams.

The thoughts made Sekayi eye Xennek with concern. Was it really okay for them to be here? Ever since he had heard about the lioness that Xennek had lost Sekayi had become more observant of the warrior’s passing moods. The closer they got to the ocean the easier it was to see how Xennek tried to suppress darker emotions. Truly he couldn’t help worrying. Was coming to the Storm born truly worth all the inner turmoil? Perhaps we should have kept to the desert sands…

His staring resulted in a smack to the side, “Ouch!” Growling Sekayi glared at his mentor, “Would you stop doing that already?” Every freakin’ time. If it wasn’t Xennek then it was the other one hitting him both physically and mentally. This journey had honestly given him more injuries than any war in the Firekin. Already his mind had drifted to Iesha. What would she say if she realized the reason for her father’s changing moods?

Probably would be another reason for her to hate the idea of love. Sekayi sighed at the thought. It was just another strike against his hopeless feelings for the female. Looking at the cliffs he smiled hopelessly. If I don’t get over this by the time we arrive in the Stormborn then perhaps I should be looking over these cliffs as well. After all wouldn’t jumping be an end to the insanity of his current life? Gods just thinking about her riled him up in frustration.

“Looks like you should be more worried about yourself cub.” Xennek’s voice interrupted his thoughts and Sekayi glanced over to see the older male smirking, “Someone drivin’ ya crazy?”

“Shush, old man.”

Another smack to the side, “Just old enough to beat some sense into ya.” Replied Xennek sharply, “Why aren’t ya actin’ before it’s too late?”

Sekayi laughed, “Like hell if I can act on anything.” His fur bristled as he turned away from the older lion, “You think it’s so easy because you can fling yourself at anyone without regret…I’m not like that.” He had values, he had a heart, he…was really running out of excuses at this point. What am I so proud that I don’t want to be another one nighter for her? The thought made his stomach clench. Was that it? He was innocent sure, but he was still a male with needs…but he didn’t want to waste himself without meaning. Right?

“Keep that face and you’ll be losing your mane to age in no time.” Chimed Xennek behind him as they walked down away from the high cliffs, “You should learn to relax and let go. You’re young after all, plenty of time to sort through things later.”

Glaring over his shoulder Sekayi just kept moving forward. Young, but not crazy. He just couldn’t be reckless like that. It truly wasn’t in his nature. I was raised with honor and to be a true warrior… Yet as he looked backwards at Xennek the lion sighed. Maybe he should just give it a rest.

He really didn’t know anymore.

“Hey, don’t kill yerself over it.” Xennek brushed past him, “Just give it some thought. Once we get to the pride it might change things. More lions there ya know?” He chuckled, “Maybe someone else will tickle your fancy and you’ll forget about things.”

They both doubted it though. Sekayi had never been so entranced by a female before and it truly was frustrating. Leave it to something Xennek’s created to drive me insane. He really couldn’t get over the frustrations boiling up inside of him, “Hey Xennek?”

Raising an eyebrow the larger lion looked back, “Yeah?”

“You truly never have regretted ‘loving’ anyone?”

The lion chuckled, “Never. We’re living to live, not to lock ourselves up like some sort of statues. That’s how I feel about it.”

“Must be nice.” He still couldn’t wrap his mind around it. Even after knowing more about Xennek the lion still managed to amaze him. Living life as fully and freely as ever no matter what. Maybe he’s the insane one.

“Hey.” Xennek bumped into him, “If you can’t think it out why not fight it off?”

Sekayi frowned, “Why is violence always the answer with you?”

“Cause it’s the best way to let off steam. Come on, cub. I’ve got a few moves to show you yet.” Xennek grinned as he bumped into Sekayi once more and started darting away. As much as he wanted to pin it on Sekayi a fight would do good for the older lion as well. If there was one regret it wasn’t loving freely, but rather it was letting himself be tricked easily. Ever since then the lion had made certain to keep to his heart and to always be stubborn. No one was chasin’ him away from what was important to him ever again. He just hoped he could teach it to the cub before it was too late. Don’t lose her if she’ll haunt you forever.

Just give me some time to figure out my own heart. Sekayi glared at Xennek’s retreating form before chasing after him. A fight would be nice and refreshing after all. He truly needed it more than anything right now.

(wc 1082)