Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:08 pm
It started last night. Baby bird fell from the chimney (probably because we didn't get it swept back in march). Instead of leaving it to its devices to die, I put the baby somewhere safe to see if it would live.

Well, it did, so I've been on the phone with conservation, animal control, and avian rehabilitators all day. Dad has the car at work. The nearest bird experts that really KNOW their stuff are some hours away and cost too much to get to. I can't get it to a wildlife rehabilitator until monday ( July 4th weekends, man, everything is closed), so I have to try taking care of it until then. I have no heating pads, but I do have three table lamps that are on it as well as blankets to help trap heat so it stays warm (I hope the bird is warm enough).

I've been keeping over its nesting box, which is filled with old shirts and its original nest that fell as well as a source of humidity.

I've looked up what to feed it, but I've been getting mixed messages. Some say only feed it bugs (hard to catch during the day and for the most part, the baby refuses them), the rehab said moistened dry cat kibble should tie it over until it can be fed real insects or meal worms. The baby has accepted those. I have to feed it every hour, handling it as little as possible.

I'm constantly worried, wondering if this little wild baby is going to make it to the day I can get it to a licensed professional.

Poor baby. I'd get it's nest back in place, but it's highly dangerous getting up on the roof and the nest won't re-stick to the chimney wall even if I could get it back up there.

Gotta set the clock to be sure to wake up and still somehow make rping with my 40k tabletop group work in the morning and feed the baby... @~@; Dah...  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:08 am
I think it might be sick... I really need that professional... Poor thing is chirping non-stop. I've fed it and have been doing my best to keep it warm, but it still shivers a bit. ): Wish I could do more. Being able to travel to the wildlife rehab with avian medical expertise would do a world of good compared to my care. It's a struggle to get the bird to eat properly.  

Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200

Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:40 pm
It seems to be doing a little better. It likes to wear itself out within a minute's time when it is hungry, so you only have a limited time frame to get the food in its mouth before it wears itself out again. Then you have to let the bird rest a bit. The moment it starts making that noise, you've got to be ready to put the food in. The timing is very tricky.

I recommend taking any orphaned wild bird baby you find to a licensed bird rehabilitator if you're sure it is orphaned. This one is here under extenuating circumstance only and only until I can get it to a state licensed professional.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:00 pm
Wow. Well, even though you are so worried about that little bird's health in your care, at least it's being taken care of to begin with! It could have easily died in the conditions it was in. Something to keep in mind, because I think you're doing a great job caring so much for a sweet bird. <3
I hope things get worked out and you can send it off to a professional soon, though! Good luck!! And keep us up to date!  

yeet-chan

Big Duck

Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:30 am
Thanks!

Try as I might, wildlife and avian expert, I am not.

I'm waiting for its food to cool so I can feed it again. I'm also waiting until mom gets up and ready, so we can take the baby bird by the vet animal hospital for transport to the wildlife rehab.

The little one has been very responsive and accepting of food, but some is caked on its face and has proven very hard to clean off considering how gentle I feel the need to be. It may be going between nestling and hatchling, but it's just a little guy and doesn't want anything touching its face unless there's food to feed it. It'll bite the wet napkins and squirm about.

Can't say as I blame it, it is a wild bird, after all. I hope that food crusting isn't hurting it. It's eyes aren't open, but if its health improves from today on, it won't be long, because it is climbing and clinging properly! Goodness knows I've been trying to get the food crust off as carefully as I can. It's hard not to frighten it

As long as mom gets up by a certain time today, transport should be assured.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:19 pm
I'm finally free! The baby bird is at the vet where the vet tech can transport it to wildlife rehab. Hopefully it does well from now on. That was quite a tiring, somewhat sleepless weekend.  

Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:08 pm
Sounds like you were doing a pretty good job looking after the baby bird considering you had none-to-limited knowledge on how to look after it and bad timing in terms of taking it to a wildlife rehab location, due to places being closed for the 4th.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:49 pm
whee Thanks!

I'm starting to finally get my energy back after some rest without interruption.  

Saikii
Crew

Friendly Fox

30,225 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200

yeet-chan

Big Duck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:22 pm
I'm so glad to hear that the baby bird is okay, and that you're feeling relieved. Good job on taking care of it so well - I'm sure the bird appreciates it! :3  
"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games