Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:17 am
Watch out, 'cause you guys are about to get the storm cells that swept across us in the Midwest last night.

Man, that storm was intense. The worst of it hit us around 1:30 this morning, with wind speeds averaging about 70-80 MPH and peaking at just over 100 in some spots. There was so much lightning, the sky wouldn't go 2 seconds without flashing again. My town lucked out and was in the awkward little "peaceful" (if you could call the storms we experienced peaceful gonk ) zone sandwiched between two different tornado warnings, with the one just south of us spawning 3 different confirmed tornadoes in a matter of minutes. I was really worried that those were going to arc up toward us like most storm cells do, but luckily they kept pretty steady going east...

Needless to say, I did not fall asleep until after about 2:30 this morning when the majority of the cell passed over us. sweatdrop So glad I didn't have work this morning!

I miss being up at school -- we hardly get ANY storms up there (aside from snow). In a span of 21 years, only one tornado was spotted there. We get like 3-4 per year here at home... e_e  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:03 am
We haven't' gotten any bad weather this year, which I'm thankful for. The most we've gotten was a tornado watch on Mother's Day that lasted about 5 minutes.  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

A Skepty
Vice Captain

Dapper Elocutionist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:22 pm
Good call, it started storming here about an hour ago biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:46 pm
*Rocks on rocking chair on porch*

Yup. Looks like it's another day of California sunshine here I reckon.  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

wellwisher
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:57 pm
You know, in Minnesota we got a weak version of that wind, but really only a few cloudbursts.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:27 am
Okay, I'll take note of that.  

Catkid_neo

Magical Cat

10,750 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50

Turn-Based Addict

Backwoods Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:56 am
It has really flooded in our area, they have been closing down bridges a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:43 pm
I live on the other side of the U.S., so I don't have to worry about said storm.

This weekend apparently it's supposed to get up to the upper 90s and even possible into the lower 100s F. eek I'm hoping I don't die from the heat while I'm working box office during this heat wave.  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:38 pm
Zphal
*Rocks on rocking chair on porch*

Yup. Looks like it's another day of California sunshine here I reckon.

...And earthquakes and drought. razz  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:44 pm
wellwisher
You know, in Minnesota we got a weak version of that wind, but really only a few cloudbursts.

I'm not surprised; most of the storm seemed to have originated from South Dakota and veered southeast from there. Illinois got slammed really hard by it, then it ventured over to southern Michigan and hit us before becoming Canada's and the east coast's problem. You guys probably felt the beginnings of it.  

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

wellwisher
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:54 pm
Hiddochi wolf
wellwisher

I'm not surprised; most of the storm seemed to have originated from South Dakota and veered southeast from there. Illinois got slammed really hard by it, then it ventured over to southern Michigan and hit us before becoming Canada's and the east coast's problem. You guys probably felt the beginnings of it.
We definitely did.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:55 pm
Prof. Moonie
I live on the other side of the U.S., so I don't have to worry about said storm.

This weekend apparently it's supposed to get up to the upper 90s and even possible into the lower 100s F. eek I'm hoping I don't die from the heat while I'm working box office during this heat wave.

Ugh, does your theater not have air conditioning? gonk

I'd die in those temps. There was one exceedingly rare summer a few years ago (I think like 4-5?) that it got up to 107 F here, and I refused to go outside all day and had the A/C blasting the entire time and I was still roasting to death. emotion_0A0

Granted, I don't exactly like subzero temps in the winter, but I can handle having my eyeballs freeze over on the walk to class better than I can stand anything over 80 degrees. Eyeballs thaw... it's harder to keep cool in hot weather than it is to warm up in the cold. xP  

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

beaulolais

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:37 pm
it is south of us, in the Catskills and Connecticut.

whoa, Connecticut has caught some hellish weather this past year!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:07 pm
Hiddochi wolf
Prof. Moonie

Ugh, does your theater not have air conditioning? gonk

I'd die in those temps. There was one exceedingly rare summer a few years ago (I think like 4-5?) that it got up to 107 F here, and I refused to go outside all day and had the A/C blasting the entire time and I was still roasting to death. emotion_0A0

Granted, I don't exactly like subzero temps in the winter, but I can handle having my eyeballs freeze over on the walk to class better than I can stand anything over 80 degrees. Eyeballs thaw... it's harder to keep cool in hot weather than it is to warm up in the cold. xP

Our theater does have air conditioning in the main lobby area, the auditoriums, account room, and upstairs. But the back room and the box office have poor air circulation (for whatever reason), so hot days can make shifts miserable for the ushers and those of us in box office. One of our managers did bring in a large fan that the ushers have been using in the back to provide some cooling action... but we'll see how well it does with the higher temperatures. It doesn't help either that our current uniform is all black with two layers of shirts - the top being our polo [Minions design], the bottom being our under shirt. xp  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Abrien Sliver

Generous Capitalist

7,850 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Just started to storm here in NC and I didn't go out and cover my bike D: now it's gonna be soaked for work tomorrow TT-TT curses having a fabric seat  
"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff