Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
Flyby of the Planet Pluto 7/14/15 - Updated!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:16 am
Greetings Everyone I have Exciting News,

You may not be aware that the United States Space Probe, New Horizons, is going to do a flyby of the Planet Pluto on July 14th, 2015. I'm going to post on this thread photos of Pluto that the probe has already taken. smile When the New Horizons Probe does it's flyby of Pluto it will be after a 9 and a half year journey!!! I remember when the probe was launched back in January 2006. After a very long wait I finally get to see what the Planet Pluto looks like.

The photos and data that the probe sends back to Earth will prove to the world that the Planet Pluto does exist (My Opinion). Right now they call Pluto a "Dwarf Planet" which I think is an insult. When I was a kid I learned that their is 9 Planets in this Solar System including the Planet Pluto. During these times they are telling children and teens that their are only 8 planets in the solar system and that Pluto is just one of many Dwarf Planets at the edge of the solar system.

Enjoy this special photo and please respect and thank all of the sources that is making this possible. Also respect the Photos Credits.

User Image

Image Credit Info - New Horizons Mission to Pluto Photo. Photo Credit - NASA/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory/Southwest Research Institute. Do not sell this image. Also please do not be disrepectful to the companies and persons listed above that have posted these photos for all of the World to see.

Smithers456 (Ron)
Guild Vice Captain  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:47 am
So excited! Oh my goodness! I've always loved and appreciated Pluto, and now we get to see and learn even more about and from it vuv

nerdiepi

Crew

Anxious Shounen

15,450 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:22 pm
nerdiepi
So excited! Oh my goodness! I've always loved and appreciated Pluto, and now we get to see and learn even more about and from it vuv

Hi nerdiepi, I remember when the United States Space Probe New Horizons launched back in January 2006. I saw it launch on TV. I've waited 9 and 1 half years for the probe to do it's flyby of the planet Pluto. Can you imagine waiting that long for an event of this magnitude. If I did the math correctly the probe will pass Pluto about 10 million miles from it. It's an amazing feat of technology and engineering for Nasa to plot a trajectory for the probe to get this close to the planet Pluto!! I can't wait to see the up close photos of this planet.

I plan on doing a tribute to Sailor Pluto from the Sailor Moon series either on that day or shortly afterwards. If I figured out the timing correctly the flyby will occur around 5:50pm edt or 4:50 est on July 14th, 2015. Btw the Blu Ray release of the first part of the Sailor Moon R series is also happening on that day!! What a coincidence. As far as I know the Fully Pose able SHFiguarts Sailor Pluto doll hasn't been released yet. Wouldn't that be cool if they release the doll also on July 14th, 2015. The sales of the doll will go through the roof.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:18 am
User Image

Image Credit: NASA/Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory/Southwest Research Institute

I'm very excited to show everyone one of the first closeup photos of the Planet Pluto taken by the New Horizons spacecraft. The New Horizons spacecraft has finally finished it's 9 and a half year and 3+ billion miles journey to Pluto!! This is the last and most detailed image of Pluto sent to Earth before the moment of closest approach, which was at 7:49 a.m. EDT 7-14-15. More images from the Pluto Flyby will be processed and released on Wednesday, July 15.

Pluto nearly fills the frame in this image from the Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI) aboard NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft, taken on July 13, 2015, when the spacecraft was 476,000 miles (768,000 kilometers) from the surface. The color image has been combined with lower-resolution color information from the Ralph instrument that was acquired earlier on July 13.

This view is dominated by the large, bright feature informally named the “heart,” which measures approximately 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers) across. The heart borders darker equatorial terrains, and the mottled terrain to its east (right) are complex. However, even at this resolution, much of the heart’s interior appears remarkably featureless—possibly a sign of ongoing geologic processes.

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
Miscellaneous Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers