Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply [OOC] Events [OOC]
[Closed!] Stormborn Cublets up for grabs! winners posted!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Light Atago

Lupine Loiterer

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:30 am
User Image

Welcome to my contest for one of a pair of Stormborn lions! Let's get right to it:

Rules:
1.) Abide by all gaia and SoA rules.
2.) This is open to everyone- whether you own no SoA or a million, lined or not.
3.) The name you put on the form will be considered what you'll name the cub- please don't be wishy-washy on it/want to change it after the competition's over. :3
4.) Do not discourage others from entering.
5.) Be nice to everyone, please. We're all mature.
6.) Don't complain about it if you don't win. The final word is just that- final.
7.) Should you win, I would love it if the cub did not leave the pride. (Well. Except on Vikings.) If you really want to, you can pull the cub as an adult, but PLEASE let me know! (I own the mom and grandma, the mom should at least know if her son/daughter leaves forever.)
8.) You may edit your post, but please slap a date that you edited it somewhere in your post, in an obvious color. (I have a tendency to read entries as they're posted.)
9.) You may enter for both, but only win one!
10.) Have fun!

Starting Date: ... Now! 8D
Ending Date: Friday May 29th, 7 PM EST.

Post directory:

Next post: Family stuffs.

Post after that: Cubs, prompts, and forms.

That other post: List of entrants  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:32 am
About the family! These cubs have quite the big one.

User Image
Their mother is my gal Dagny. Don't let her cert fool you- she just became a Reaver, though she's a little uncertain feeling about that. Dagny is a little different from most Stormborn, being that this lioness' passion and ultimate dream doesn't involve fighting and gore, but rather, it involves mint. Dagny creates all sorts of mint treats for anyone in the pride, and usually will trade her mixes for goodies that other Reavers had to work even harder for. She's made a bit of a name for herself. Seeing as her passion is to be renowned for her mint preparations, Dagny will ALWAYS have a good quantity of mint around the den, though she will do her best to keep the cubs out of it until they're older. Dagny will go on occassional raids to get more swag, and also to find new herbs and flavors to bring home for her mixes.

As her fighting style goes, she's more into lighter but quicker blows than huge powerful ones. It's effective, especially if teamed up with someone with a bit more brute force, as you so often are on Vikings. She enjoys the thrill of a good fight, but she doesn't really enjoy causing suffering to others, so just because she's a Reaver, don't think she's cruel.

A night full of mint and a lucky encounter with a god led to this here event! XP

User Image
Kaede is Dagny's new thrall. A bright chatterbox, even now, she was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Dagny figured she could use someone to do the gruntwork of making her mixes while she did the innovating, so her goal was to catch someone on her first viking who could do just that. Kaede will also help keep an eye on the cubs as they grow. She's kind of dumb, but very nice. Dagny doesn't beat on her ever, but may raise her voice if the bright lioness becomes annoying. She will be a presence in their lives, so keep her in mind.

User Image
Inari is also a new Reaver, having finally acheived her dream. This lioness is the litter's grandma, so she'll be around, but not daily. Inari is loud, crass, blunt, and not afraid to use physical punishment. She will assume this to be acceptable too, when she is visiting the tykes.

User Image
Tollak is owned by CaliWolfe- he's one of the cubs' uncles who took more after Inari- the lion is a strong Reaver. Dagny is on good terms with him.

User Image
Stigtyr is owned by Kaliforneum- he's the cubs' other maternal uncle. The Stig is a bit more flower-blooded, and is working towards lawspeakership. Dagny is also on good terms with him and will not tolerate disrespect towards him from her cubs. However, Stig and Tollak do NOT get along whatsoever, having come to blows over disagreements in the past. They mostly avoid each other nowadays, I think.

User Image
Al-Hattal is Meep's boy, and the litter's father. The cubs will doubtfully ever meet their father unless they seek him out. (AKA, plan it with Meep if she wants!) Dagny will know exactly who he is and not be secretive about it, but as nobody else in her raiding party saw her with him, they may assume that she had a more lame mate than the god of rogues.

User Image
Merker is the littermate to the contest cubs that I'll be keeping. I'm still kind of trying to figure him out… So far all I know is that as a cub, I plan on him always coming home from a fight, and always trying to get into mint- so a troublemaker at least as a cub!

As these are Al-Ha spawn, they have a trajillion half siblings all across SoA, many that I don't even know about. I'm told there's quite a number in the pride, I know of at least a few!  

Light Atago

Lupine Loiterer

Light Atago

Lupine Loiterer

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:35 am
Alright, here are the goods!

User Image

User Image

Any of the prompts can be used for either cub. You need to do at least one, but can mix in elements of more than one if you wish. You are allowed to lightly use my characters in your entry, or use an NPC character, but I'm looking for the cub's personality more than theirs, so don't make someone else the focus!

Prompt 1: Mint, mint everywhere! How does the cub feel about having so much mint all around their home? Is the smell overwhelming and distasteful to them? Or maybe is it a delightful temptation that they are always trying to obtain?

Prompt 2: Mom's thrall Kaede just won't shut up! And you're stuck with her watching over you and your siblings for the whole entire day! Do you enjoy chattering with her? Or do you just want to lash out to make her stop, knowing that mom won't be happy! How do they feel about always being stuck with her?

Prompt 3: As the cub of a God, these cubs are seers. Do their visions affect them strongly? Are their powers even present at all? Do they try to ignore them? Do they try to prove that they have these powers to silence any naysayers about their lineage, or is that a job for their claws?

Prompt 4: Being Stormborn can be hard for the lighthearted. Do they fall into step with the typical pride member, or do they kind of buck the tide? Are they comfortable with the cooler weather and embrace the pride's culture, or is every day a bit of a struggle?

Aaaand the simple form:
[quote="Light Atago"]I've got an entry![/quote]
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Name:[/b] (Should be a Nordic name- Merker's is Norweigian. :3)
[b]Meaning and Language:[/b]
[b]For the male or female?[/b]
[b]Prompt number(s):[/b]
[b]Response:[/b] Does not need to be super long, but not super short either.
[b]Anything else you'd like me to know?[/b]

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:37 am
Lists!
(More for me keeping track of how far I've read than anything. :3 )

Entries for the boy:
Page 1:
BastetAmun

Entries for the girl:

Free to post now!  

Light Atago

Lupine Loiterer

BastetAmun

Feral Hunter

9,200 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trick or Treat 100
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:09 am
Light Atago
I've got an entry!

Username: BastetAmun
Name: Níðhöggr(Nidhoggr)
Meaning and Language: Norse name, it means dreaded striker. Also was the name in Norse Mythology of the snake that gnawed at the roots of the life tree.
Prompt number(s): All of them!
Response:

Nidhoggr groaned as he was awoken to hear Kaede jabbering again. It was a rude awakening, in the young cubs eyes, as he had been having a lovely dream of going on future vikings with his mother and grandmother. He opened his eyes and stared at Kaede, his yellow eyes sharp with disapproval as he narrowed them into a glare. Of course, she wasn't looking at him, so the cub's glare went unnoticed and Nidhoggr had to let out a soft huff to himself as he slowly pushed himself up to his feet, stretching as he did so.

There were so many times that he wished his mother would treat Kaede like some of the other Reaver's treated their thralls, those slaves never continued to speak the way that she did and he was sure they didn't annoyingly wake anyone up from their dreams. He adored his dreams because there were moments when he got to see into the future, see what was to come. He never knew when these things would happen and it frustrated him, he wanted to know how he would grow up, would he become a great Captain one day? Leading his own group of reavers out on vikings? The idea excited him and he decided he'd let Kaede off the hook this time, instead of going and telling her off for waking him. It wasn't because he was afraid of his mother, Nidhoggr just didn't want to waste any time dealing with the ditzy thrall at the moment.

Walking further from where he had been sleeping he saw why Kaede had been chattering so much and he had to bite back laughter. Merker had been caught getting into their mother's supply of mint again. He shook his head some, wondering why his brother loved that stuff so much, the smell was disgusting to him, and he never wanted to try and taste it. Deciding he wanted to explore a bit, he slipped past Kaede and moved to the door of the den, he stood there his eyes gazing out and wondered if his mother was out on a viking. He wanted to be able to do that so much more then being stuck at home with Kaede, it was so boring!

Anything else you'd like me to know? I'd love for Nidhoggr to become a reaver, but a bit of a troublemaker in the sense that he doesn't follow orders well and he will begin to react quickly to slights as he gets older. If someone doesn't believe that his father is a god, he will not hesitate to attack them. He will have a bit of a temper but he will learn how to keep it under control.  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:29 pm
Light Atago
I've got an entry!

Username: DraconisSiirexus
Name: Skuld
Meaning and Language: Means "future" in Old Norse. She was one of the three Norns, or goddesses of destiny, in Norse mythology. She was also one of the Valkyries.
For the male or female? Female
Prompt number(s): 1
Response:
Yet again, the rotten child had struck again. Right under her family's noses, the girl had taken a couple of mint from her Mother's collection, and run off with it. The treats were, indeed, delicious, but she wanted to get the raw flavor from the great leaf itself. As usual, the troublesome, face-smacking cub had been snagged for her great weakness she took from her mother; the love of MINT. She had gotten out of sight RIGHT when her mother returned, and she could quickly hear her wondering where some of it was. It made the little black and white furball grin with satisfactory as she hid away for now, eating at the leaves. Meat, oh glorious meat, would be wonderful with the mint, but she had to settle with the plant since getting some with this would just throw her work into nothing but ruin.

She could only snag two, but the taste of the now-gone first was just glorious, yet the scent coming from the second leaf divine. Skuld would be willing to toss out catnip any day for this since, well, the addiction was all the same. She wasn't going to let anyone, not even her brothers, know that she had gotten it for she knew they'd either rat her out if she didn't get some for them, or something around that. To her, they were just little downsized strands of hairy things that deserved to be thrown across the area to even dare try, but since their her siblings, she'd at least try to knock them down with a good whack and treat them later with some of her food portions. Geez, and if she went too rough, she'd give them some mint and take the fall like the sister she was, even though she was pretty violent. But, in the end, the mint is her weakness and she would do absolutely anything for even a leaf like some loyal dog.

Anything else you'd like me to know? Skuld would try to reach Reaver status herself, especially with her personality of a violent, physical mint-addict. Her seeing abilities will possibly run when she is an adolescent or an adult and wouldn't really be that strong, though like her name, she could probably catch a few clips of the future when it actually acts nice.  

Siire

Wealthy Wolf

5,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Profitable 100

TheWishling

Feral Phantom

12,375 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:47 am
Light Atago
I've got an entry!

Username:
-_Wish of Tevarae_-
Name:
Vardmadr (Varda for short)
Meaning and Language:
Vardmadr means Watcher in the Old Norse. Her nickname, Varda, is the verb Watch, also in Old Norse.
[Source here]

For the male or female?
Female Please
Prompt number(s):
Response:
Since her infancy, Varda could not remember a time when she wasn't woken in the middle of the night. Even as a cub, she found that the world around her was full of things that had happened. One pawstep on the wrong lion's fur and she could see things that...well, she was sure no cub was ever meant to see that. A part of her wished that the future was all that she had seen, that what was coming would bless her with a moment's peace, a moment's calm...instead she was consistantly looking to the past, with the occasional blessed silence of what was going to be from the young. Her siblings especially. Their pasts were not yet established, so only the future lay ahead....tapestries weaving themselves before Vardmadr's very eyes. A part of her could not help but wonder at the miracle.

To those who wouldd call her out on her lineage, the cub honestly couldn't care less...but no one was allowed to call her mother a liar. Varda became used to using her ability, brushing against the sides of another lion to simply call forth something...dark from their past. Not that she could ever control what came to her, but at the same period of time, it was almost always the dark things. Secrets were valuble things, and most would be silent if she was capable of tellin them something from their past that was not.....of the violent nature. There was always the pride that came from violence, making it harder for her to find that one thing.

It never honestly hurt too badly, these small bits and pieces, but Vardmadr honestly found herself simply looking at the present. It was too hard when so much as a brush of paw to paw could bring about a tiny flash of vision.

Anything else you'd like me to know?
Despite the fact that she will avoid touch like mad, Varda will fight to try to become a higher status, to become someone that can reach out to help her Pride, and whoever she follows. She will try to use her power as something to offer anotehr who might provide her with a leg up on her competition as well, the Visions becoming a driving force behind what she does.  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:34 pm
Light Atago
I've got an entry!

Username: Ruler of Everything
Name: Pehmeä
Meaning and Language: 'Soft' - Finnish
For the male or female? Female
Prompt number(s): 4
Response:
Difficult.

If Pehmeä had to put one word to the way the pride felt to her, that would be it. Difficult.

When one is born into the Stormborn, they are expected to be the best of the best. And by "best" it was assumed that they were the strongest, the fastest, the biggest, the most aggressive, and the most capable fighters. The Freeborn of the Stormborn were renowned for their abilities and expected to be better than even the greatest rogue at fighting.

And then there was Pehmeä. Pehmeä who struggled with the sight of blood. Pehmeä whose claws were kept sharp not on purpose, but from lack of use. She was one of the Stormborn that they didn't mention in the legends - one of the failures. And she knew it. She was often teased by other cubs, even her siblings, that she had "flowers in her blood." It was like being called the lowest of the low, and it made her feel like more than a failure - it made her feel like a Thrall. Like she didn't belong.

However, there was one lion in her life that gave her hope. Her uncle, Stigtyr. Although he was not nearly the coward she knew she was, he was softer. Not as much of a fighter as the pride expected him to be, he focused his time on learning the ins and outs of the pride's history and laws. Personally, Pehmeä saw no nobler fate for one not apt to fighting. And it was for that reason that she dreamed to be just like him. She found it inspiring that Stig was able to turn his passion for the pride into something unlike that of the other members. He made it all his own. This, Pehmeä thought, was the solution to all of her troubles. No better way to hush the naysayers than to become a bigger, stronger version of herself - even if she was only strengthening her brain.
Anything else you'd like me to know?

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:50 pm
Light Atago
I've got an entry!

Username: Ruler of Everything
Name: Værdig
Meaning and Language: 'Worthy' - Danish
For the male or female? Male
Prompt number(s): 3
Response:
He had been getting teased for a while now. For what, he couldn't imagine, but he chose to blame it on the color of his fur. In a pride focused on the dark and brooding, he stuck out like a sore thumb with his bright white coat. Honestly, he didn't know what to do about it. The teasing, it seemed, just wouldn't stop. So he decided to do the only thing he could. Værdig announced he was a seer.

For some reason, Værdig had found he had the sight. Randomly, without warning, his brain would be muddled with curious visions that he never could make out. Although it was annoying, he knew it was (technically) a gift of sorts, and it made him special. So when the other cubs began to tease him, leaving his ego bruised and battered, that was the only solution he'd had - to assert how special he was.

Unfortunately for him, cubs are not the kindest of beings. First, they were confused. Then, they laughed. Eventually, they started asking for proof. It made Værdig angry. 'Proof? How can they expect me to produce proof?' When he expressed such confusion, the laughter only got louder. It felt as if it was suffocating him. Thrown into a blind rage, Værdig's claws raked heavily across the nearest cub's face. Then, the laughter stopped. It became quiet as the young male came to, calming down, to see the heavy stream of blood coming from near the other's eye.

The nearer cubs looked horrified. Nervous. Impressed. Værdig glanced around, feeling the warmth of blood soaking into his right paw. The others began to back away, eyes wide, while the victim wailed out, unable to see, blinded by the blood. It was then that Værdig let out a toothy grin. 'That'll show them. I am a Stormborn. I am worthy.'
Anything else you'd like me to know? As implied by the response, he lives his life feeling inferior to others because of his appearance and seeks at every opportunity to prove them wrong. His ultimate goal would be to rise to the highest rank he could hold, not out of ambition, but simply as a way to prove his existence within the pride is justified.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:07 am
Light Atago
I've got an entry!

Username: Cajanic
Name: Egil
Meaning and Language: Nordic. Roughly means 'terror'
Prompt number(s): 1 with a dash of 3
Response:
There was something amazing about the mint, he just knew it.

His mother seemed to think it was important and was great to keep around the den, but she wouldn't let them near it. She said it wasn't for them, and they couldn't have any until they were older. But Egil knew. Egil was smart- he knew there was a reason his mom didn't want them getting at it! He knew it was the mint's fault that he and his siblings sometimes saw weird things! While the pride members would tell him it was all just wild dreaming, he knew it had to be more than that.

The mint gave them super powers. That had to be why everyone in the pride seemed so strong and ready for battle- it HAD to be why their home was such an amazing place. While his mother never told him that he was right, he had already figured it out all on his own. He didn't need to be told. Being around the mint from birth had given them even more amazing powers than the rest of the pride members! Because of their constant exposure to the stuff, they could see into the future! It seemed like a fantasy, but how else could it be explained? He and his other siblings could all see things from time to time, though they never seemed to make much sense, and no one else in the pride really seemed to understand! Not that he had met so far, anyway. Surely that meant the only logical conclusion was that the mint was magical.

Why would that be a weird or childish thought?

Naturally, coming to understand that mint was the root of super powers was a very exciting discovery for Egil, who wanted to see if he could get even more amazing abilities if he actually ate some of the mint. He had to be careful, but eventually he managed to sneak some away without his mother catching sight of him. And when he did, he discovered something else about the mint that he wouldn't have otherwise known- it was poisonous, too!

It seemed fine the first time he'd eaten it, but the second venture proved disastrous. After eating a small portion of mint, he found the taste was great but the effects were not. It made his mouth tingle, almost like it was going to go numb, and it felt like it was making his throat close! He had thought the mint might be transforming him into some kind of mighty monster, but nothing ever sprouted or mutated on his tiny body. Instead, he broke out into a rash under his fur and had a really bad tummy ache! So bad that he ended up having to tell his mom what had happened to see if she would be able to help him! What a horribly embarrassing experiment. The worst part? He hadn't gained any additional powers from the exercise. It lead him to believe that mint should not be eaten for powers, and that it was probably the smell that made them see things.

After the incident, he never wanted to touch mint again. Even the smell of it seemed to irritate his nose and throat from time to time, though it was never as severe as when he had eaten it. He chalked it up to having gotten too close to figuring out the mystery of the super powers.

He had made an enemy out of mint.
Anything else you'd like me to know? He is allergic to mint!  

Cajanic
Crew

Generous Unicorn

I Lady Kiya I

Obsessive Fairy

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:37 pm
Light Atago
I've got an entry!

Username: I Lady Kiya I
Name: Ásbjörn (Ancient Scandinavian, Icelandic)
Meaning and Language: Old Norse name derived from the elements áss "god" and björn "bear".
Prompt number(s): 1, 3, and 4
Response:

The land of where they lived was what he loved most, the cold brisk breeze every morning and just about all day. It was hardly noticeable to him and he would not want it any other way. Asbjorn wants to succeed in the pride and become a powerful reaver. Unlike his mother, he doesn't particularly care about mint, though it is a sent that meant home. Something that he unadmittingly will always long for when he's out on raids.

Asbjorn will struggle a bit with his seer powers, though he will try to embrace them as much as he could, for it is who he is and it is a gift from the gods. Of course, this might make him a bit insane as he grows older. But he shall always remain loyal to those he loves and calls brother.

Anything else you'd like me to know? He shall never leave the pride  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:40 pm
Closed! I'll get these judged by tomorrow night!  

Light Atago

Lupine Loiterer

Light Atago

Lupine Loiterer

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:44 pm
Alright guys, tough choices for both, but I have picked winners! Thank you all for entering! Drumrolls please~

For the male-
BastetAmun

For the female-
Ruler of Everything

The colorist for these two is Meep- I hope to get some family RP with them in the future! 8DDD Congrats!  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:44 pm
Ah! Thank you so much!  

BastetAmun

Feral Hunter

9,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Trick or Treat 100

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:21 am
Ahhhh, thank you! Can't wait to have her out and about in the pride. <3