Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:08 am
So I just realized this morning that my robotics class professor has this annoying habit of ending every single sentence with the word "right."

"Here, we've got the console window of the HMI that directs the user to the output gauges...right. You click on that tab and should find the application listed on the sidebar...right."

STAHP IT. emotion_0A0

He says it really subtly, hence why I didn't notice it until now... but now that I'm aware of it, I can't un-hear it anymore, haha.

Although, I'd admittedly rather listen to his "right"s than the guy I had for Calc 1 the first time. That man was one of the most annoying lecturers I've ever encountered -- not only did he have a chronic sniffling problem, but I swear he learned to speak from William Shatner because he consistently took these long, awkward pauses in the middle of sentences. *Shudders* gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:43 pm
I used to have this habit of saying "You know what?" constantly.  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:45 pm
LOL. Shatner.

Yeah, we had our first training day at the park, and one of the trainer guys has a habit of attaching "Cool." to the end of his sentences.

"Does anyone have any questions?" *pause* "Cool."
"Should we go on to the next portion?" *pause* "Cool."
"So that's how you do that, got it?" *pause* "Cool."  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:49 pm
Zphal
LOL. Shatner.

Yeah, we had our first training day at the park, and one of the trainer guys has a habit of attaching "Cool." to the end of his sentences.

"Does anyone have any questions?" *pause* "Cool."
"Should we go on to the next portion?" *pause* "Cool."
"So that's how you do that, got it?" *pause* "Cool."

XD  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:14 pm
I've noticed that I tend to say "Alright" quite a bit while doing transactions with customers, whether I'm in concessions or box office. I haven't been doing it as much now since I became aware of it... but still was interesting to notice.

I.E. "Would you like to upsize your popcorn or drink to a large today?" "Let's do a large for the popcorn." "Alright. *pause* What would you like to drink?" "Diet Coke." "Alright. *pause while starting soda fountain* Any butter on the popcorn?" "Extra." "Alright." *finishes with popcorn and soda* "Any candy for you today?" "No, thank you." "Alright. *pause* So, your total today is..."  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:31 pm
Prof. Moonie
I've noticed that I tend to say "Alright" quite a bit while doing transactions with customers, whether I'm in concessions or box office. I haven't been doing it as much now since I became aware of it... but still was interesting to notice.

I.E. "Would you like to upsize your popcorn or drink to a large today?" "Let's do a large for the popcorn." "Alright. *pause* What would you like to drink?" "Diet Coke." "Alright. *pause while starting soda fountain* Any butter on the popcorn?" "Extra." "Alright." *finishes with popcorn and soda* "Any candy for you today?" "No, thank you." "Alright. *pause* So, your total today is..."

That's a tough one, cuz yeah, you need to vocalize in some affirmative matter so they know you've understood their request, and there aren't super many ways to do that.  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:35 pm
The only thing I'm aware of that I say ridiculously often is "yeah," and that's usually because that's one of my verbal cues to let people know I'm still listening when they're telling a story. I try to trade it out with "mm-hmm" occasionally, but there are only so many different utterances I can make in that situation without sounding weird. xd

In written media, I have this unconscious obsession with the word "just." I have no idea when that started or why, but every time I look back at a post or email I've written somewhere, "just" pops up pretty much every other sentence, if not more. Right now, I'm hardcore resisting the urge to use it, since I'm conscious of it at the moment, haha. razz  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:36 pm
Zphal
Prof. Moonie

That's a tough one, cuz yeah, you need to vocalize in some affirmative matter so they know you've understood their request, and there aren't super many ways to do that.

And I'm an Introvert. We don't do small talk. So, it's sort of a "I-don't-know-how-to-do-this-small-talk-thing" response too. xd  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:32 pm
Prof. Moonie
Zphal
Prof. Moonie

And I'm an Introvert. We don't do small talk. So, it's sort of a "I-don't-know-how-to-do-this-small-talk-thing" response too. xd

Yeah, I think the only extra thing I'd end up doing would be going "That sounds good!" or "Mmm, nice choice!" in the cases where they make a decision with their concessions that I would make (such as extra butter on popcorn). Cuz I do that at the theme park like "What are you gonna ride next?" and when they answer I go "Yes, that's one of my faves!" and stuff. Try to get excited with them, y'know? biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:34 pm
Hiddochi wolf
The only thing I'm aware of that I say ridiculously often is "yeah," and that's usually just because that's one of my verbal cues to let people know I'm still listening when they're telling a story. I just try to trade it out with "mm-hmm" occasionally, but there are only so many different utterances I can make in that situation without just sounding weird. xd

In written media, I have this unconscious obsession with the word "just." I just have no idea when that started or why, but every time I look back at a post or email I've written somewhere, "just" pops up pretty much every other sentence, if not more. Right now, I'm hardcore resisting the urge to use it, since I'm conscious of it at the moment, haha. razz

eek  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:37 pm
Zphal
Hiddochi wolf
The only thing I'm aware of that I say ridiculously often is "yeah," and that's usually just because that's one of my verbal cues to let people know I'm still listening when they're telling a story. I just try to trade it out with "mm-hmm" occasionally, but there are only so many different utterances I can make in that situation without just sounding weird. xd

In written media, I have this unconscious obsession with the word "just." I just have no idea when that started or why, but every time I look back at a post or email I've written somewhere, "just" pops up pretty much every other sentence, if not more. Right now, I'm hardcore resisting the urge to use it, since I'm conscious of it at the moment, haha. razz

eek

Nailed it! xd

Now I'm just imagining you going through and editing all of my recent posts and further spamming the just-ness, LOL.

... *Glances back up at sentence above.*

s**t.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:08 pm
Hiddochi wolf
Zphal
Hiddochi wolf

eek

Nailed it! xd

Now I'm just imagining you going through and editing all of my recent posts and further spamming the just-ness, LOL.

s**t.

Looks as though I won't have to. twisted  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:49 pm
Zphal
Prof. Moonie
Zphal
Prof. Moonie

Yeah, I think the only extra thing I'd end up doing would be going "That sounds good!" or "Mmm, nice choice!" in the cases where they make a decision with their concessions that I would make (such as extra butter on popcorn). Cuz I do that at the theme park like "What are you gonna ride next?" and when they answer I go "Yes, that's one of my faves!" and stuff. Try to get excited with them, y'know? biggrin

Probably the only time I do responses like that is when someone asks about our Gourmet popcorn or some of our non-regular food choices (i.e. chicken wings, pizza, etc.). But that's only because they're actually asking about it and I can give an opinion.

However, for concessions, especially during the busier days, you often get customers who just want to get their items and get to their movie. Heck, half the time they're already trying to leave before they've even paid for their food. There's some customers we get during those times that get pretty nasty if you try to take up any more of their time with talk, even if it is just a few seconds. It's people like that that makes it hard to cover all of your required concession bases ((i.e. upsell, suggestive sell, loyalty card, etc.)). gonk

With box office, I think it's a little easier to be more conservative with guests because you're usually sharing your thoughts and opinions about certain films (if they've asked if we've seen said film or they're looking for a particular film)... or they have started the small talk/conservation. Usually customers like that are either the seniors who happened to be in the area for the day and decide to see a movie ((and half the time they don't know what they want to see or what is playing))... or they're a regular and asking how a certain film has been doing business wise for us. xd In those cases, I'm usually more comfortable with talking because it actually comes off as a conversation for me rather than mindless small talk. Plus I can tell people are actually listening to what I'm saying which is a big deal for me; I don't like wasting my time saying something when someone isn't even going to take the time to listen to what I have to say.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:59 pm
Hiddochi wolf
Zphal
Hiddochi wolf

eek

Nailed it! xd

s**t.

Haha... I was just reminded of a part of Misha Collins' panel from Chicon 2014 where he was talking about how he says "um" (and other filler words) a lot and was trying so hard to not do it.

User Image User Image
User Image User Image  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff