Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
LGBT representations in weird fiction

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you feel your sexuality and gender are depicted in the right manner?
  Heterosexual Male
  Heterosexual Female
  Bisexual Male
  Bisexual Female
  Gay Male
  Gay Female
  Transgender Male
  Transgender Female
  Pansexual
  Asexual
View Results

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:09 pm
I've always felt that science fiction, fantasy and horror, especially when coming together as weird fiction has been a great way of looking at issues in my life. I'd especially like to note that the last ten years has brought a lot more of it that focuses on them from a central characters view. Whether that's optional, like in Bioware and Obsidian made roleplaying games, or just who the character is like Cecil in Welcome to Night Vale. Even before that we had Willow in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
I can't claim I can touch on all areas of it by myself, though I plan to make a more substantial article when it comes a time for my zine, Fatal Gift.
So, please feel free to add your own points, examples or the like. I'd really like feedback.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:14 pm
Fiction, and media in general, can never and will never represent the entirety of any given person.

I typically find that fiction relies heavily on stereotypes, over generalizations, assumptions, and cliches. With that said, I recognize fiction for what it is and I don't mind it.

I get frustrated because it's rare for a sexually ambiguous male (orientation speaking) to be represented in most popular media.

However, I do find that there are leaps and strides made in niche and cult fiction, and I'm happy to see huge victories in fiction like with The Legend of Korra.

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:12 am
hey there is a well written trans character in dragon age and they have always had bisexuals and now they have pan and homosexuals in the new game. imo thats huge

yes having representation in the media seems like something small and meaningless but its a step, and its a big one. not to mention im sure its great for the younger lgbt people to see characters like them.

and flipping korra!!!!!! idk, i may be biased since that was my ship from season one but it really made me happy to see that on a kids cartoon

and that clarence show, the weird super clean kid has 2 moms  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:19 am
I'll chime in again to mention that the earliest part of this trend would probably have been in works by William S. Burroughs, the good old patron saint of sin. Whilst I can't say it was always positive for lesbian or trans characters, it was there, right in the open. Not for nothing did his Naked Lunch end book censorship in the US.
And yes, that character in Dragon Age Inquistion is actually wonderful. I like that they chose to go with an ftm trans, since it seems to get a lot less attention.  

Skreemer

Wild Prophet

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items