Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Meepfur
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:55 am
Before you get going with reading the rest of this post, I will begin with the~

Rules!
  • This thread is not for discussion or debate.
  • You may make ONE post in this thread, and only one.
  • In your one post, you may offer your opinion/input in a civil manner.
  • Please do not quote or respond to anyone else who has posted in this thread. While you are more than welcome to speak with each other about the proposed change (including in the main thread, but again, civilly), this thread is not the place for it.

So. As everyone is well aware, Gaia's economy is very, very different from what it was 10 years ago. SoA's prices, on the other hand, have stayed the same. With no small amount of trepidation, we would like to propose raising them to something more in line with the current economy. This is not a change we would just force on everyone, however, so we would like to explain ourselves and allow your input before we implement any changes.

As it stands, staff now makes next to nothing on customs, which is why you now see so few customs opened or taken; it is potentially a lot of effort for very little reward. Due to our unique system, however, custom prices also affect breedings: each breeding comes with two custom slots the owners are entitled to use/invite others to use, and so every time we take a breeding, we can end up with one or two 3-stage customs, which, again, are potentially a lot of effort for very little reward. Breeding customs make taking breedings into a bit of a gamble for us, and can actually be a source of stress for colorists. It can turn a breeding we'd otherwise be pretty comfortable with into 'What happens if x throwback from five generations ago turns up in the customs?' Not only do we have to do it, we get almost nothing for it.

We do not dislike breeding customs; as a matter of fact, we love using them just as much as everyone else does! They are awesome things to have, as are non-breeding customs. It would also be awesome to be paid a fair price for them. We have mused over the idea of discontinuing breeding customs, as the original reasons they were offered are no longer relevant (now that most minimum litter rolls are 2, and you can keep up to 4 non-custom offspring from a particular SoA), but that's not an option we're very fond of. Because, again, we like them, it's just that we also like compensation.

If prices are not raised, it is unlikely that the system will remain exactly as it is. One possibility discussed was the reduction in the availability of breeding customs via a longer waiting period between custom-ins, similar to what currently exists for hybrid custom-ins.

Whether or not prices are raised will eventually be put to a poll, but for now we are opening this thread for your input on the situation: it's cool, it's not, you guys are greedy jerks, whatever. You are free to offer whatever suggestions you like, although simple agree/disagree posts are perfectly fine as well. We're in the very early stages of this and trying to get a feel for what people would prefer and be comfortable with.

The very tentative (suggestions are welcome) prices we have come up with are as follows:

Quote:
Just ignore these and suggest your own.
Familiar Adult: 200m
Familiar Baby: 400m
Regular Adult: 2b
Regular Adol: 2.5b
Regular Cub: 3b
God Adult: 5b
God Adol: 7.5b
God Cub: 10b

Regardless of whether or not prices are raised, there will no longer be flatsale or base breeding fees, as they're little more than formalities, anyway.

Edit: For interesting trivia/reference/indication as to how very different things are now from when custom prices were first set, god prices were originally determined by an auction 10 years ago.

Edit again: For those getting upset, please remember that these are not set in stone, and we are asking you for suggestions. The entire point of this thread is that we want YOU to be comfortable (and that we would also like to be comfortable as well). There's no need to get up in arms about what we specified was very tentative.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:22 pm
100000000% support this, you guys are working for peanuts right now. As someone pointed out you can get enough for about forty God customs in a pink link now. Raising the prices will bring back that nostalgic feel, too, when customs and gods were worth more than some random item from Valentine's Day 4 years ago. Raise em! Go! Go!
-throws a party-  

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

Zee Oddwyn

Tenacious Bookworm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:28 pm
I support this price change. It makes no sense for the shop to wear blinders when it comes the inflation gold has seen on Gaia. The site itself has made changes to account for this! For instance, it's now possible to earn a large chunk of the 800k required for a God custom just by clicking the Daily chance machine!

Asking you to honor the original prices is much like asking an employee in the real world to accept $4/hr. today. Insulting. Your work is worth far more than that.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:43 pm
I have issues with it being in the billions.
Not everyone can make 1b + and aren't willing to sell everything they own to make that. I can understand 500m for customs maybe, but not 1b +. Not everyone has the ability to get gaia cash, and even with the prices of daily chance wouldn't be enough to help maintain good income. Back before the site inflated with prices, 350k was reasonable. It wasn't too difficult to make, then having it jump to 2b? xP

I'm not object to prices changing, and I agree they should. Just not as much as is projected there.  

I Lady Kiya I

Obsessive Fairy

bullterrierlove

Shirtless Spotter

10,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:44 pm

Personally, I disagree with the new price changes. I mean, I love your guy's work. Really, I do. But with the tentative prices, I wouldn't even be able to afford an adult familiar. I mean, I know these are customs. And you guys work your tail off doing them for the customers. And I totally respect that. You guys do deserve a higher payout than what you're currently receiving. Because right now, it's chump change. However; for users whose sole income is through daily chance(on average, I make 100K a day)/booty grab/other activities on the site, the prices are hard to reach. Unless, of course, you play the marketplace/sell art. Which neither I'm successful in (and, in the B/Cs that I've worked in, I haven't made over a bill, I believe). Gaia cash, unfortunately, is also not an option for me. My money has to go to other priorities.

I could always ask a friend to help pay for customs for me, however; that feels sleazy to me. They work hard for their gold, and I shouldn't be asking, or even spending, their hard earned gold. Not to mention, to me that's a large chunk of change. It would take me months to even afford an adult SoA.

That being said, I'd prefer it was lowered a bit, just for selfish reasons (so I can afford it), but I don't know what to suggest. Because y'all do work hard for what you make. And there are always freebies and breedings that I can participate in, if the new prices are enacted. uwu So there are plenty of other opportunities to get a pet xD And really, I'm here for the community above all else. Prices are just a minor thing. If I can't afford it, oh well. I just won't participate in the slots. Y'all deserve the money for the quality that you guys put out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:54 pm
I will start with - I am for raising prices. I remember mentioning it some time before inflation exploded(I think it was back when the Suggestions thread was still up), as 5k for a flatsale pet felt like peanuts even when 1mil was an AMAZING amount of gold to have, so it feels like this was TOO long in coming.

That said... The potential prices don't sit so well sad Yes, a lot of us have a LOT of gold now, but not THAT much. I'd say a good approach would first be tacking on a zero on each current price - 600k for a custom baby familiar, 400k for an adult familiar, 3.5mil for an adult custom lion... It's far less of a sticker shock than what's proposed. Otherwise it'd be like going from paying $1 for a banana, to suddenly $100 for a banana, when the supply and demand hasn't changed as drastically. Start small, add a zero... See how that feels for the colorists, that's my suggestion. If it still doesn't feel AS worth it, then add another zero, or 50k, or however much, but... BILLIONS for things just feels like way way too much, way too fast sad

I am, though, surprised by the dropping of the breeding price. Nothing more to say on that - Just kinda surprised by that move xD

Edit: I had a thought - Perhaps you guys should keep a breeding fee for gods and Ela? Given how much work goes into the litters, between edits for one and tattoos for the other. Maybe even the old(Really old) custom cub fee of 500k. It could go to the shop mule, or a charity mule, to be used for quests.  

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Eos Galvus

Shadowy Celebrant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:32 pm
My two cents!

I do think a price change is fair. Artists put a significant amount of work into SoA and deserve the equal amount of pay as most would. Minimum Wages they are a-changin'.

I do however feel the proposed changes are too high. SoA customs were quest-worthy prices for years and in the current economy, as well as the number of current staff with more art rights some adjustment may be a good idea.

Note I'm working with the concept 1B is equal to what 1M was way back in 2004 or 2005. Hard to earn without work.

Familiar Adult: 20m
Familiar Baby: 40m
Regular Adult: 750m
Regular Adol: 600m
Regular Cub: 500m

Edited, non-Inheritable Adult: 2b
Edited, non-inheritable Adol: 2.5b
Edited, non-inheritable cub: 3b

Wait what?

Before I touch on Gods, I'm noting this. The proposed prices would be fair if the juvenile stage were still available. At this time SoA is a 3-stage shop. A lot of people also do not have access to Gaiacash- an average pink link is the most expensive non-cash payout on Gaia currently with the average running 30-40m. Compared to current prices that's... Still really low given the economy.

We also have staff capable and willing to do edits that do not pass as part of the SoA. It would be great to PAY them for those edits and encourage them to offer them - enabling a step between a regular SoA's cost and a God's cost. Now on to Gods. I will note the biggest adjustments I made were to cub prices because 10b for a cub with no juvenile is a smidge too high in the logistics department. I'm not proposing a 5B cub- the gods are intended to be a nice treat, not a rule, although it would be nice to see gods given out and sold more, I understand pricing and availability concerns. Still, hopefully, this compensates.

God Adult: 5b
God Adol: 7b
God Cub: 9b

Something you didn't note was breeding prices either. That might also be good to look at; upping Flatsale prices, breeding prices themselves for both types, raffle prices, ETC. This can help offset custom prices and also encourage more types of paid events.

Flatsales: 100K for a new pet (Something everyone can afford but still a raise in price!)
Breedings: 150M (Rogue parent), 300M (Two-parent) for Full Sizes
Familiar Breedings: 25M (Rogue parent), 50M (Two parents)
Raffle Tickets: 100K a ticket; 10 ticket minimum purchase

Another option is to take current prices across the board and convert 'k' to 'm' (So 450K becomes 450M ETC) and any current Ms to B (So 1M becomes 1B), which is also a feasible option- prices under 100K before could add a 0 to the price to match as well.

Overall I'm totally down upping prices but maybe make minor adjustments and add options, as well as take stagecount into consideration. If you're interested in private I'm happy to help work price logistics or something, but overall I'm for it as long as prices are reasonable.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:43 pm
I am for raising prices but that is just so extreme, in my opinion. I could never afford them, personally, and I do have a couple mil. But that's it. Once it's gone Im not likely to get in the mils again unless I sell everything I own to get it back. (Thats giving my items some credit, because I cycle through the same things because I don't HAVE many items to sell to begin with.)

I know that gaia's economy is far from what it used to be, but I consider myself to be an average gaian, and I could maybe afford a familiar adult. I'm not as active as I once was, but I'd have to give up the idea of ever getting a custom, or non-breeding cub again.

I think the colorists do a lot of work. But I also think that they are preexisting lines, and customs shouldn't be unobtainable. I do agree with a price raise, but I just think to go that far is drastic.

I agree with gods being expensive, I think gods should be rarer. But the average lion/familiar really shouldn't be.  

Buffy_the_Bloody

Tipsy Bloodsucker

10,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Talencia

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:52 pm
Like so many others, I completely understand the desire and need to increase prices for our poor colorists. They do a wonderful job, do a lot of free events, and aren't being paid much at all in this economy for their hard work. I support changes that provide better for our colorists!

From a personal standpoint, though, the prices would take getting anything almost completely out of my ability to afford. Let me make it clear, though, that this was truthfully where I was at previous to the crazy Gaian economy crash. I have always been a poor Gaian, even way back when I could afford the extra money to buy stuff with real money to make Gaian money. Gold income has never been my strong suit. Friends were often kind and would help me get custom-ins and sometimes customs. It was mildly humiliating and at best uncomfortable. My point to sharing this is that, technically, these prices would simply put me back where I was originally. Which probably means it is a fair increase.

However, it's been very enjoyable to be able to afford custom-ins. To pay for breedings myself. To plan for pridal customs. To even have glimmering hopes of a second god. Currently I do not need someone rich to help provide for my pride events. I got this, and it feels good.

Thus I am torn. No, I don't really like how high the proposed prices are. Yes, I do want our colorists to get fair pay. Yes, I'd be open to a compromise on price. No, I don't want things to stay the same and our colorists become the poorest of the B/C employed.

I don't have any answers, I'm afraid, but I can tell you this. Regardless of what the prices do, I will be sticking around for rp, for plots, for character development. I love SoA and the people in it, and price hikes won't be what drives me away.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:29 pm
I 100% support this and have been thinking it for a while. You guys make nothing on what you used to and you work really hard. Prices need to change with the times. It will make it harder to get customs from a "customer" point of view, but I think that's a good point in many ways, it adds more value to them (this is just my opinion) <3

That being said, people who have not bought into Gaia Cash or didn't have items that inflated may not be able to afford those prices. I have saved up for a while for bribes,customs etc and occasionally gave in and bought some cash just to make it easier, but not everyone will, does or can, so I understand their viewpoint too. Dropping the breeding price is a surprising move, considering there can potentially be like... 9, full stage SoA in it xD, but its a kind move, too.

P.S: I would definitely pay extra for non-inheritable edits on adults, stage-pricing would be good?

P.P.S. An active charity pot for quests might be a good idea? Maybe other members of the community can donate to it or staff can give some free customs or.. I'm not sure? I think it just needs to be accessible to everyone in some way, whilst being fair to the staff too.  

Zosie

Fashionable Bear

Ritikine

Fashionable Risk-Taker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:32 pm
I am all for a price change, or really whatever the staff comes to decide is fair to them. They should all be compensated for the amazing work they all do, and they work so hard to bring us amazing pets. The economy is ridiculous now compared to what it was, and the prices have seriously lagged behind. So it seems like most things outside of stuff staff has to do for whatever their quota's are just aren't worth it? idk.

So all for price changes, but no real opinion on the proposed prices.
I currently could not afford anything listed, and are unsure how long it would take me to be able to, since I'm not as active as I used to be and haven't seen a pink link in a couple years. (Apparently some people get like 1-2 of these a day? wut? and there can be MILS IN IT?!) Buuut I also don't try for customs all that often anyways. /

Edit 1:
Since I notice this is a less mentioned topic in there? Custom-in's being removed as an option would be fine with me if it ends up that route instead (or as well as a price change?). I think the only thing I'd miss in this case really would be hybrid custom-ins, since it is the only way to get a hybrid customed. (and I actually do have a hybrid custom I'd love to get, it's just a bit trickier now with the custom-in rules. <3 )  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:33 pm
Let me start by saying I can understand why you're considering increasing the prices, what with the way inflation is going at these days.

I can also understand wanting to pay your loyal workers more.

HOWEVER, I have one major concern with the inflation of prices as they stand in the post:

The people who can afford prices up in the bills such as you have suggested are those that have the money to drop on GC gold gens and items. However, there are people like me. Who, the whole reason I currently even HAVE 2 bill is because of the fact that I sold some of my dearest items to save up some gold to maybe afford my god custom if I can ever manage to get it. You need to realize that, with slots barely opening as it is, and the most common way to attain a cub or custom being breedings of mortals, the amount of increase you're asking feels a little unfair to those of us who would have to try (and yes I say try) to earn that kind of gold doing daily tasks we may not have the time to do.

I travel for work, all over the US, and sometimes out of it. I work two jobs as well, not to mention starting College this year, this meaning that my time for getting on Gaia and doing those tasks that might earn me that kind of gold is limited to a few hours a day, if even that. I can't afford to waste my money on GC items to boost my gold, because I have bills to pay, and even if they're not my kids, mouths to feed. I have a full household to help support.

To the average consumer who can't afford these kinds of price increases, it seems almost unfair, and leaves us at a disadvantage. The first thing you're going to see, with this kind of disadvantage, is a drop in activity in shop. You're going to see people who try less and less for breedings, cubs, customs, and yes, even Gods, which are already slightly disheartening to try for. This is not meant as a slight on the shop, note, more as an observation from an outside perspective. The thing is that it feels like there are less and less openings, which is disheartening for the average consumer.

I love SoA. This shop has been my home for almost 5 years, and I always come back...but this kind of increase might be the type of thing that would drive people like me away.

THAT BEING SAID

The price increase could be a lot more simple. If you took the current prices:
Breeding Cost: Currently 30k
Increase to 30mill for Normal SoA
60 mill for Gods

Regular SoA:
Cub: 450K (Increase to 450mill)
Adolescent: 400K (400mill)
Adult: 350K (350mill)

Familiars:
Growing: 60k (60mill)
Adult: 40k (40mill)

God SoA:
Adult: 800K (800mil)
Adolescent/Perma-Adolescent: 900K (900mill)
Cub: 1000K (1 bill)

TheWishling

Feral Phantom

12,375 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Generous 100

Kitsune Mistress Nyoko

Shameless Elocutionist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:43 pm
Disclaimer: I do not claim to speak directly for anyone on staff at Soquili. All discussion below regarding them is a direct reflection on my personal experiences there while on staff, and some of the conversations had there that I am able to discuss in public.

First off, let me preface this by saying I love and respect you guys and what you do, and I mean absolutely no disrespect in regards to anything I'm about to say.

While I agree that SoA could use a price race, the propose prices that you have posted are way too expensive. The people making billions of gold on the Marketplace and are not your average customer. Not every person on Gaia has the time or experience to play the Marketplace, and the "shortcut" of buying and selling GC items is not available to everyone.

Those people are not your average customer. And to hold every customer to that expectation is ridiculously unfair. And I say this as someone who buys and sells GC items.

A good chunk of your shop relies solely on Daily Chance and selling Daily Chance items to make their gold. To give you an idea of just what kind of gold they can make, I have a mule that I only ever do Daily Chance on. I logged onto it consistently during the twelve days of Christmas to collect the boxes, so I could have both the human and paw versions. Every day, I did the daily chance, and sold junk items I got from it. In two weeks, I made a grand total of 46mil. Not even enough for a familiar, by your proposed prices.

Now, if we assume I make 20mil a week, it would take me ten weeks to save enough for an adult familiar - two and a half months. A simple adult SoA would take 100 weeks or just short of two years. I'm willing to bet that at that point, a customer would be more likely to move onto a less expensive shop - like Soquili, which has not raised its prices at all.

And speaking of Soquili, the conversation of a price raise is something that has come up in staff before and most of the staff members shot it down almost immediately specifically because they felt it was unfair to the majority of their shop. They understand and acknowledge that the inflation has most affected those who cannot buy GC, and their prices were already much more expensive than SoA's to start with.

Beyond that, the majority of the Soquili colorists I've spoken to don't work for the gold - they work for the ponies. They are paid primarily in Staff Credits, and the biggest change to their recent gold earnings was a slight raise in paid raffle tickets to make the lists more manageable and moving breeding prices over to be pay what you want. The pay what you want breedings have been a resounding success - most customers were vastly overpaying the colorists for breedings already, and it wasn't uncommon for a customer to volunteer to pay for all a colorist's breeding or customs slots only minutes after they opened.

But I'm getting off track. My point was that the suggested prices are completely unsustainable and unfair to customers who rely on the Daily Chance.

A better option might be a slight raise to the gold prices - maybe something more along the lines of what NovaCracker and Andranis have suggested - and a reevaluation of Staff Credit earnings and how they're handled. Don't forget that you guys get paid in pets as well as gold, which already puts you at a great advantage over the average customer. I understand that having gold is nice, but if you aren't opening customs and breedings solely because you feel like the gold payment isn't worth it, maybe you should take a long hard look at why you're working at the shop.

I thought the point was to make customers happy with pets and any additional payment was just a bonus?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:52 pm
I'm going to use my allotted one post in this thread to re-clarify that we are asking for suggestions, and that this change is something that isn't even going to happen if the majority opinion is against it. These aren't changes that we have suddenly sprung upon everyone: they are potential changes we are asking for feedback and suggestions on because we want everyone to be happy, or as happy as possible. That's why this thread is here.

Undermining us, picking at us, or questioning our motivations is uncalled for. If you have suggestions, make them. Please don't put us down.  

Meepfur
Vice Captain

Velveteen Angel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:05 pm
I am 100% for the raising of prices, because I understand that the colourists work so hard to bring us such gorgeous pets, and it's really unfair for them not to be compensated for it. (Especially if they are wanting to buy ANY item in this crazy economy, trying to pay their way to the new item they want by taking 15k breedings? Yeesh! That'd take forever... o_o )

I support the price changes, especially for gods. I think gods should be expensive in the economy, because they are a special event really! They're a huge bonus to get.

I am a little concerned that newbies will be discouraged because the prices are a lot higher than a lot of shops in the B/C: It seems like the B/C has been stuck in a stand-still despite the crazy gaia Economy. Perhaps there could be a re-occurrence of Blessings of Penna or quests could have a 'charity' portion of them, so people could raise funds from other threadbies or staff?

Also, what will happen with pridal customs? Personally I love them because owning prides is HUGELY fun for me, but paying 1bil each for an adult SoA that I don't get to keep is going to make running prides expensive haha. I'd still pay it though, because giveaways are fun; it just means less pridal events because I will need to save 5b+ to get pets for each meta. c: Perhaps there could be a 1/3 price for pridal customs instead, so it becomes 750m instead of 1b to get an adult SoA for a pride?

Still, I can understand the need to raise prices. I support them!

[OOC] Archived [OOC]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff