Arcus moved swiftly through the trees of the colony, towards the edge of the forest. He rarely left the safety of the colony’s forest but he had a special occasion. Or, well, not really ‘special’, more an ‘annoyance’ of an occasion. His father was nearing the colony, and that wasn’t going to end well. Arcus dropped from tree as the forest began to thin out and he moved swiftly, weaving through the trunks.

“Father,” he called out in a rather unfriendly tone as he caught sight of the pale creature that had spawned him many, many years ago. It wasn’t that he necessarily disliked his father, it was simply that they were at two very different places in their lives. Arcus was doing something with his, and Dysi was doing nothing.

“Ah Arcus! I didn’t realise you were here,” Dysi responded cheerfully, his pale coat immaculate and a flower crown resting upon his head in a stylish disarray. “Is this where you are living now?” Dysi had never really taken much of an interest in Arcus’ life, mostly because Arcus’ mother (a fling from many moons ago) had pretty much hidden Arcus’ existence from him and really, that was fair enough. Dysi wasn’t a fantastic father. He was a far better mother and Arcus’ mother had already got that down pat.

“You are approaching our borders and you are not welcome,” Arcus said, rather coldly and Dysi flinched. Ok. Maybe he deserved that.

“Why am I not welcome? You know I am not a threat,” Dysi pointed out and Arcus hesitated to explain. It was colony business but Dysi was right, he was hardly a threat.

“There has been an attack in the colony, we are trying to figure out who it was that hurt the daughter of one of our council member’s,” he explained rather coldly still. Arcus was usually quite cold, but Dysi brought out the colder side to him. “So we are wary of strangers.”

“Maybe I Could help,” Dysi offered, but ARcus shut him down quickly.
“Don’t you have some cubs you should be taking care of?” He pointed out bluntly and Dysi sighed.

“Arcus…when are you going to let it go?” Dysi tried to protest, inwardly quite frustrated. Why were all of his cubs getting angry at him recently? He did the best he could! There were some cubs he couldn’t be around because of family issues or, in Satomei’s case, not getting killed. They were all very difficult things to juggle. Why did no one understand that he was doing the best that he could in the circumstances?

“I don’t let go of things so easily, Father,” Arcus responded. “Some of us do not give up so easily.” A pointed comment, if there ever was one. Dysi groaned inwardly. Great. It was just going to be anger and pain this visit, like every other. Really, why did Arcus think Dysi wasn’t eager to visit him much now that he knew of him? He always left feeling lower than scum.

“Well you certainly get that from your mother!” Dysi retorted, but moved on quickly, not wanting to dwell on that particular issue. Arcus’ mother was…an interesting character. “How about you, son? Have you started a family yet?”
Arcus narrowed his gaze. “No. I am not in a position to do so yet, and I don’t feel like following in your paw-prints.”

This time Dysi groaned out loud. “Damn it Arcus, I am trying to make nice conversation. Do you need to bring everything back to me abandoning you? Yes I left. No I don’t regret it. You had your mother and I wasn’t ready to be a father to my sons. I couldn’t. You were far better off without me there and you damn well know it, so stop making me feel like the scum of the earth for doing what was, in that moment, the absolute best thing that I could do for you!”

Arcus reeled back at the sudden explosion that was Dysi finally reaching his limit. Dysi also looked shocked and he sighed. “I am sorry Arcus,” he said softly. “I am just tired…and I smelt your scent on the wind and I just wanted to see how you were doing. I know I did things wrong in the past but just know I am trying to make it better.” He smiled softly at him. “I know you can’t forgive me for leaving you and never being around as you grew up, but do you think we could at least have an adult conversation? You know, father and son?”

Arcus hesitated and sighed. “I apologise father. I didn’t mean to upset you so. We can talk….if you still want to.” He wasn’t really ‘keen’ to talk to his father, but he supposed if it would make Dysi happy then that was alright.
Dysi, however, just shrugged his shoulders. “Maybe we’re not ready to talk like that yet,” he offered a branch to Arcus, giving him a way out if he needed to take it. “I am sorry for the things that you blame me for, but I hope some day we can be father and son, and talk like we should be able to do?”

Arcus glanced back at the forest, eager to run back into its hiding branches and avoid his father once again but he stayed. “Someday we will,” he assured. Not today though, he added in his mind. Not today. He wasn’t ready to forgive Dysi, and he honestly wasn’t sure if he ever would, but for Dysi’s sake, he hoped he could.

“I hope you’re well,” Arcus added, and began to back away. “And that your cubs are healthy.” He could smell a female strongly on Dysi, so he assumed he had found some female to bed (or perhaps mate? Doubtful though).

“Thank you, Arcus,” Dysi responded softly. “I hope your pride finds the attacker and that you all stay safe. Please stay safe,” he couldn’t help but add.
“I will.” It was all so awkward, and he hesitated. “Goodbye father.” He turned before Dysi could respond, moving swiftly back into the cover of the trees, taking to the branches as soon as he could.

Dysi was left standing at the edge of the pride with a sorrowful look on his face. Maybe someday Arcus would forgive him… he was so distracted by his son that he didn’t consider why there was another scent lingering nearby that smelt familiar, completely unaware his daughter resided inside as well. For now, caught up in the issues of Arcus, Dysi moved away from the forest, a sadder leopard than when he had approached.
(WC: 1111)