Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Quaji
Crew

Noble Cub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:56 pm
User Image

It was wonderful. There was an active recruitment going on for more to fill out ranks in the North which meant that there would be new blood to train soon enough. Still, as great as that was, it meant there was more work to be done which meant late nights and early mornings. Not like he already didn't do that, but he probably end up more tired than he does now. The male lion walked through the central hub of the North, trying to relax before his evening training session with a few rogues that wanted to become guards. It wasn't nearly as impressive as the West's bazaar, and the sound of song did not fill the air as it did there. There was a longing for that house again in his eyes as his head turned to face its border, but the North was his home. It, along with the rest of the pride, needed protection and he had a duty he was proud to play.

Still, it was lonely. He was a captain. Many say him simply as some strict, impersonable stick in the mud. It made for boring days and boring conversations that were filled with nothing but work. One of the few lions who did not see him as such was actually a duke of the North, but that didn't help people's view of him.

"I wonder how dad's doing...?" Thrain mumbled to himself as he looked over the faces of the North that congregated to trade the sparse resources it had with traders from other houses.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:18 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Rumi had been running through the mountains. She probably startled a few guards with her antics, but running seemed to be the solution to solve her problems. Turns out...it wasn't. She was exhausted when she finally stumbled her way back into the main area of the North, feeling overwhelmed.

What was best for her? Should she stick to what she knew, or should she aim for something new? The face that she had a choice to make before her was more than she had ever considered before. She grew up expecting to be a hunter, and threw herself into the work. Challenges were the best way to keep her skills up, and it seemed like some of her fellow hunters just thought she was nuts.

Huo Wuya had said she should consider being a guard. Work up the ranks. See where life took her. Was that even possible?

So she stumbled along, not paying attention to anyone or anything around her. Sure, she heard voices, trades being made, guards looking for a little enjoyment while off duty, but it was hard to focus on anything else than her indecision.

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

Quaji
Crew

Noble Cub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:56 pm
It seemed neither of them were truly paying attention.

Despite looking around him, Thrain seemed to have neglect to actually looking in front of himself. It was a little too late for that as something bumped directly into his chest. Startling him out his people-watching, Thrain stumbled back, shaking his mane, obviously trying to recompose himself just in case he had somehow managed to bump in to the emperor himself. As he looked back, expecting to see someone he would recognize, he found himself accidentally staring.

He didn't recognize her. Nothing about her coat rang any sort of bell in the back of his head about who she was. Was she important? The Lord's mate perhaps? A princess from a far off land on a diplomatic mission? Or was the reason he did not know her because she ranked lower within the pride so he didn't concern himself with knowing her? For whatever reason, he s till apologized. After all, he was still a captain and he still had to keep up appearances.

"My apologies, I didn't see you there."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:23 pm
Rumi felt a soft 'thud' on her head as she ran into something. Soft could only be one thing...someone else! Her stomach dropped to the earth's core as she scooted back and looked up, a horrified look on her face.

"No no, I'm so sorry! Here I am, being so selfish and thinking about myself..and...and I ran into someone!" She looked up and him, and away, and back at him...who was he? She was only really familiar with one scount, a pawful of guards, and her fellow hunters. She worked to help feed the house, but most of the time she didn't know who was eating her kills. Knowing that they were going to hungry bellies was enough for her.

It may be foolish that she didn't know who he was, but her social circle didn't expand out very far.

She bowed to him, knowing that he had to be a higher rank than her. "I'm so very sorry."

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

Quaji
Crew

Noble Cub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:45 pm
"There is nothing selfish about thinking of one's self."

It was something that Shan had told him at least one time that Thrain could recall. Despite the hectic lifestyle that many lived, everyone needed to make time for themselves, lest they lose their sanity to whatever ails them. "Besides, we ran into eachother, so we are both at fault. No one is more to blame." Perhaps the duke's calm way of life, taking things in stride, was beginning to wear on him. Soon enough Thrain would probably be sipping tea in one of the North's hot springs. The imagery of that alone was amusing.

"Do you...have a name?" Regret fell over him as he played back the stupid question he just asked over again.

Of course she had a name.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:58 pm
Nothing selfish? She wondered on that, and almost dismissed what he had said. Didn't the house come first? She always assumed that, as it was so heavily implied as she was raised by a scattered group of lions. A lost little juvenile had been so easily influenced once this became her home, it was hard to accept any other form of thought.

"A name?" she asked, surprised to be asked that question. He probably meant to ask for it, but it did make her chuckle a bit, easing her embarrassment.

"It is Língchén." Her eyes wandered a bit more, still trying (and failing) to dismiss his words.

"I hate to say this, but I do not understand what you said just a moment ago. Aren't we to put the house before ourselves?" It brought back a twist in her stomach. Curse that Huo Wuya, for conflicting her so carelessly!

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

Quaji
Crew

Noble Cub

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:35 pm
Língchén. He would have to remember that name.

"Mine is Tie Shi." Thrain replied with a dip of his head, giving his own name in exchange for her's was polite, though truthfully he probably should have given his first. Particularly right after the two had collided into one another.

Her question though took his back slightly. He would have expected that kind of question from one of his soldiers, but she didn't seem like a soldier, but then again. The members of the Tianxia were fiercely devoted to their pride, so it wasn't so far-fetched. After pondering for a moment, Thrain managed to think of a sort of reply, many thanks to duke Shan for getting certain notions in his head.

"If we always put the house before ourselves, we would all be dead." How odd of a thing for him to say. Quickly, Thrain continued his thought. "The hunters would work to exhaustion and become ill. The guards would patrol until their paws bled daily. There would be no rest. We would all either die from starvation because our hunters could no longer hunt or simply all collapse from exhaustion. To benefit the North the greatest, one must look after themselves before tending to the needs of others. Because we care for ourselves does not mean we no longer loyal to the North, to the pride. It simply means you always want to give it your best. Which is what it deserves, is it not?"

Shan always stressed to relax, enjoy life, to not take things too fast and now it seemed the duke's philosophies were wearing on the captain. Somehow the words he just spoke didn't even seem like his own. They were too deep, too thoughtful.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:41 am
That was quite the lecture. To be honest, it was something she sort of needed to hear. Her ears swiveled around her head as she looked around, then at Thrain, then around again. Yes, this was someone a higher rank, with the way that he spoke.

"I never thought of anything other than bringing in prized food for the house. I like the challenge, but when a guard questioned whether being a hunter was the best use of my skills. I've been filled with uncertainty since."

She was quiet for a moment, shuffling her paws around...then decided that being so unsure wasn't helping her. With her body a bit more tense, she looked right at him.

"I was raised to be a hunter, and didn't question it. Now with the questions, I'm just unsure what my next step should be. Stay where I am? See if I can switch, and challenge myself more? Its a concept I'd never considered until now." Her tail twitched behind her, wanting to hear his reply, and then...not. She should make her own decisions without outside influence, but wanting to hear what may be best for the North chipped away at that instinct.

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

Quaji
Crew

Noble Cub

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:10 pm
He hadn't meant to go on for so long, talking that was. Somehow he forgot how much her talked if there was no one there to stop him. Typically that was Han or Shan, but they both had the authority to tell him to shut up. In this case, he outranked her, why would she stop him?

Almost anxiously, he shifted his weight from one paw to another. "Others may suggest what they see fit for you, but they only see part of you, though they may see parts you do not. Follow your own instinct. No one here will force you to become more than you want to be." She had a good mind though, and if she was already considering becoming a guard, maybe...

"Would you...be interested in sparring with me? It would let you test your skills and maybe seeing how you fare will help you reach a decision you are comfortable with." Truthfully, Thrain was interested in seeing if this hunter was right about if becoming a guard would be a better use of her talents. There would always be hunters, but even guards were in short supply these days. A new recruit would always be welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:02 pm
Rumi was trying to not feel too badly about asking him...isn't that was fellow pride members were supposed to do? She never would have asked anyone in the high class, no, but he was so...approachable.

"A-a spar?" That startled her, as it was something she hadn't expected. Her eyes grew wide for a moment, and then she quickly shifted into a contemplative look. That couldn't hurt...then she would really be able to tell if this was a feasible future or not.

"Yes....yes, I would be interested in a spar." She felt her heart thumping in her chest, excitement and thrill filling her as she felt like this might be a real step towards change. This was it!

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

Quaji
Crew

Noble Cub

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:54 pm
"Wonderful!" For a moment he let his normally stoic appearance fade to show his genuine enthusiasm at getting a chance to duel against her. It didn't last long though. Clearing his throat, the mask came back on, one that let him be the guardian that the North needed him to be. "I assume you know where the training grounds are. They aren't hard to find, any guard or soldier can direct you to them." Really it was just a rare flat, open space but it served its purpose, as did they all. "Tomorrow at sunset then?" The question was more of a suggestion which didn't leave much room for negotiation. It did seem a little romantic, but it was easier than meeting at high noon or some hour in the afternoon where it would be easy to leave one of them waiting for hours.

"If you'll excuse me though, I have others waiting on me. I hope to see you there, Língchén." Leaving her no time to truly reply, deny his time or anything he smiled, bowing his head to her and finally left meet his trainees.

If she really wanted to spar with him, she'd be there.

[IC] Tianxia Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games