Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Does this thread seem homophobic to you?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

0c o

Tipsy Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:12 am
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/word-games-and-others/which-of-the-2-aay-is-more-prone-to-homosexuality/t.72899577/

So I was cruising the Word Games subforum, and came across this thread. It really disgusted me because of the way it's worded. "Prone to homosexuality." I don't necessarily know what the OP intended the thread to be like (a bash on homosexuals overall, or a playful game), but I personally take offense. The fact that he used 'prone' as one of the words in question really irks me. Prone carries a negative connotation, as if those who are homosexual are ill or diseased/infected. You can't be prone to homosexuality, you just are gay/bi/whatnot. I tried getting the attention of some moderators, but I have yet to receive a reply.

What do you guys think about the matter? :

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:45 am
Not sure if the OP was being homophobic, but some of the replies are borderline hateful  

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

0c o

Tipsy Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:59 pm
Isabella Kiyoshi
Not sure if the OP was being homophobic, but some of the replies are borderline hateful

Exactly, and I can probably come up with some instances where a thread was shut down, not because of its original post, but because of the behavior it elicits from its participants/posters.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:08 pm
As the self-proclaimed comic relief character of the guild, I feel it is my responsibility to be the first one to say "I'm offensive and I find this to be gay".

In a more serious light, however, I can almost guarantee that the level of hate on that thread is enough to warrant a moderator stepping in. Entire guilds have been banned for advocating or participating in the discrimination of other members.  

Prussian Imperial Guard

Fashionable Lunatic

8,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200

Ojibun

Fluffy Bunny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:12 pm
0c o
Yea, i personally think the OP was being maybe a slight homophobic with what he said in the title :L
Btw chur siggy made me laugh.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:36 am
May not be the only one who did this, but I filed a report with the admins. They'll at least look into the matter in about -looks at imaginary watch- a week  

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

Alice Allusion

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 pm
I feel that thread is a tad homophobic.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:45 am
I dont like the word homophobic, phobia means scared, they aren't scared, they're just a** holes.  

Ants In Your Pants

Big Lover

16,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Purple Robot Queen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:51 am
As some others have said, I don't think the initial post was really a problem ("prone" just relates to frequency, it's not necessarily a slam) but any time a thread like this emerges online you can always count on people to show up and be dicks.

Also, I hate the term "homophobic". A phobia is a debilitating fear. A person with a phobia is the victim of a traumatic psychological issue. These people are not victims. They're not struck with a crippling fear that is beyond their control. They're hateful bigots who attack other people for sexual orientation: something that the people they attack can't control. I think "heterosexism" or something like that is more on point, because it's a type of behavior that belongs beside racism, not beside arachnophobia.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games