Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply [IC] Kitwana'antara Lands [IC]
[SPR] A strange proposal (Xefo, Isifo'intombi)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:57 am
User ImageOn some level Isifo still hoped that Lady Pestilence would decide to bless her one day, but so far she'd never shown any signs of the disease. It was very likely that she was immune, and as such she had a bit more freedom of movement than the ones who were sick or had recovered but carried the disease.

Not that she had much reason to use her freedom... Her work existed in the pride, for the most part. She'd never been called on to search for a match outside the pride, and there was no shortage of work for her with the members currently living in the pride. Isifo was living her childhood dream, helping make happy couples and healthy matches.

Today she was wandering in the borderlands between the Kitwana'antara and the unclaimed territory around them. She'd only met one scout so far, but they hadn't talked, just exchanged greetings.

I could leave now and no one would stop me, she mused, but it was just a silly thought. Isifo loved her home and her family. She would probably have to bury both her parents and siblings, but that was just life, wasn't it? The burden of those without Lady Pestilence's blessing.

---

User ImageXefo had left his lion companion behind and was scouting the land ahead of them. They should be close to the diseased lion pride the Firekin had contact with, so it was best to be careful. Not because they were hostile, but because any stupid mistake could mean Xatu would be stuck there.

Xefo could smell the slight hint of disease from his high vantage point. This pride had a distinct scent, and he wondered if there would be many vultures living here. He could certainly see the appeal. He doubted Xatu would like it much, however, so he kept looking for someone to talk to.

"Oi!" he called out to a black and white lioness below. She looked well fed and well groomed, a bit spoiled perhaps. If she wasn't born and raised in a pride he'd eat that thorny bush over there! "Good day," he croaked and landed on an overturned log. "What's this pride called?"  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:46 am
Isifo was surprised when the vulture landed since she hadn't seen him coming. Not very surprising perhaps, since she'd had her mind elsewhere. Since she had been brought up in the relative safety of a pride she'd never developed the 'eyes in the back' approach to walking around. The Master Warrior was always going on about that when she tried to train the civilians of the pride in basic self-defense. Isifo didn't know why they bothered. It'd been ages since those lions threatened to take the Goddess blessing and use it as a weapon.

"Good day," she called back, "You've come to Kitwana'antara."

She didn't bother warning the bird about their disease, since he wouldn't be affected by it.

---

Xefo rearranged his flight feathers and then bobbed his head as she confirmed what he already knew. She was one of the plague-lions, even if she looked awfully healthy. Maybe they weren't all sick, or maybe the sickness wasn't as bad as the rumors said.

"Any news in the Kitwana'antara?" he asked, imitating her pronunciation perfectly. "I'm Xefo of the Bonelands. I'm here with a lion of mine, but he's staying at a safer distance from your lands."

He'd let her guess if Xatu stayed away because of the disease or if he was just a cautious lion that didn't want to intrude on another pride's territory.  

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:22 am
"Oh," Isifo said, "He'd be welcome to visit, but there are some rules for visiting lions..."

Like 'Don't eat or drink anything unless you're told it's safe' and 'Don't lick or bite the locals'. The healers had figured out the ins and outs of transmitting the disease several generations ago and few people were infected by accident anymore. There were those that came from the outside and decided to stay, and then there where the cases where it couldn't be helped. Lions or lion hybrids too injured to survive without intensive care or those that provoked an attack. But the scouts where good at stopping both the curious and the hostile at the border, so few had to stay against their will.

"News... I don't know. Business as usual I guess," she said with a laugh, "I do my best to match up happy couples that will have healthy babies."

She wasn't entirely comfortable blabbing on about pride life to a stranger, but it seemed safe enough to talk about her own line of work. Time had passed since those strange lions came and wanted to use their blessing as a weapon, but still. The Master Warrior would have her hide if she wasn't careful.

---

Xefo didn't ask about the rules, but he might later if Xatu decided he wanted to visit after all. He was more interested in what she said next. Match up happy couples? Just when he thought lions couldn't get much weirder...

"You match up lions?" he asked and turned his head to study her with one eye, "You decide who mates?"  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:05 pm
The look on his face! She knew that her job didn't exist everywhere, but in their pride it was more or less necessary. For those diseased there were little time for trial and error, and with generations frequently cut short by the grey lady someone needed to keep an eye on the bigger picture. Close relatives breeding could and would take disastrous turns after a few generations. They had learned that the hard way. Earlier in the prides history there were attempts to breed immune siblings out of desperation, but the experiment hadn't ended well. She was glad she hadn't been around back then, because what she had learned in her training did not sound pretty. But sure, she decided who would mate...

"I guess I do, sort of," she said and laughed, "But I can never force a pairing and those involved have the final say of course."

The vulture still looked very confused so she made herself comfortable, and decided to give him the simple explanation.

"We need to keep track on who's related to who to get good strong cubs," she said, "And sick lions don't have a lot of time deciding who to mate with. For those unable or unwilling to decide for themselves I help find suitable matches. Sometimes I even have to go looking for rogues!"

A challenge was always fun, and since she had never been sick she had been allowed out to try to find potential mates for especially tricky family lines a couple of times. Her own was one such line since her grandfather Sliabh had been extremely prolific…

---

Xefo nodded as the lioness explained her line of work, but he wasn't completely sure he understood. One thing was certain at least, lions would never cease to think up strange customs that he could be amazed by. Maybe they had to make up for their lack of nesting rituals. It was good bonding, and it helped prepare for the eggs. More people should do it, in his opinion.

"Perhaps you could find someone for my lion," he said with a chuckle, "Would he need to stay in this place or could you find someone from outside for him?"

He was half joking, but in his opinion Xatu could probably use some female companionship. Perhaps he'd grow up a little... Grow some real feathers on his chest.  

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:04 pm
The vulture was actually a good listener, and Isifo enjoyed telling him about matchmaking. However, she wasn't prepared for his little joke. Or was he serious? Being offered a rogue male like this... Outsider blood was very valuable.

"What, so you decide who he mates with? You didn't tell me you were a matchmaker too," she said and laughed. A vulture matchmaker seemed very funny to her. She regained her composure and answered the vulture's question, "No, he would still be free to leave if he wanted, as long as he follows all safety procedures."

He didn't even have to come into the pride if she matched him with someone immune or a carrier... They'd just need a chaperone to make sure the pair didn't take off. It could be done, and it had been done before.

"Are you serious?" she asked, "Can I meet this lion?"

---

Xefo fluffed up his feathers as the lioness laughed at his joke, and then started sleeking them down and preening them into place. But it seemed she wasn't just joking around after all. The lioness looked genuinely interested in what Xatu had to offer, before even meeting him. Didn't they have any good males in this pride, was that it?

"Give me your name, lioness," he said, "I'll go talk to my lion, see what he thinks."

This could be a win-win situation. She wanted males for the females in the pride. Xatu couldn't have a mate at home, so he'd have to do any nesting away from the Bonelands. The vulture bobbed his head and looked very pleased with the possibilities.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:36 pm
"I never introduced myself," Isifo asked, horrified, "I'm very sorry! My name is Isifo'intombi, and I'm a matchmaker here in Kitwana'antara."

He'd probably understood the matchmaker part by now, but she still wanted to introduce herself properly. Goddess, this was embarrassing! How could she have forgotten to introduce herself. She felt a bit hot under her fur, and hoped the vulture wouldn't mind too much.

---

"Don't worry Isifo'intombi," Xefo said and bobbed his head deeply in what might pass for a bow for a vulture, "I will go to my lion and see what he thinks about this, and then I'll come find you again."

It shouldn't be a problem to find her again. The wing-like marking on her back would be very visible from above, so unless she stood under a tree he'd be able to spot her easily. With a final nod he took flight, flapping his wings until he could catch an updraft and slowly circle up to a comfortable elevation. It would be fun to see Xatu's face when he told him about this little arrangement. But hilarious reactions aside, he really wanted this to work. It would be good for his lion, he was sure.  

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

[IC] Kitwana'antara Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces