Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Pokémon Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's #1 Pokémon Guild. Come talk, trade, battle, or just hang out! 

Tags: Pokemon, Black White, HeartGold SoulSilver, ORAS, Nintendo 

Reply The Official Pokemon Guild
Different starters for each town?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Big Jupiter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:51 pm
Hypothetically in the Pokemon universe if you were to start your journey in a city other than the traditional starting town in the games, would you receive a starter Pokemon specific to whatever's around the area? Or they could have the region's starters shipped to each lab perhaps, assuming there would be a lab in each town. For instance if you were to start your journey in Pewter City would you be able to choose from a combination of something like Geodude, Zubat, Paras?

It's just something I've always wondered about. I'm sure it's never been officially addressed but I think it would make the lore more interesting for me. What starters can you think of for each city?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:03 am
Cerulean - Staryu, Goldeen, Shellder
Vermillion - Pikachu/Pichu, Voltorb, Electabuzz/Elekid

Maybe something like that? I could only see other towns having something to do with their leader or something to do with the city.

Like lavender town. Seeing as it dont have a gym, maybe Ghastly or Cubone.  

Hex Sableye

Newbie Grabber

10,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Jack-pot 100

Marsuru
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:46 pm
Hmmmmmm...

I'd assume there would be plenty of different ways for people to get their first pokémon. If a trainer wasn't just given one (i.e. they used the ol' bait and rock method of capturing), then they'd probably have to get whatever's in the area.

Otherwise, they could get their hands on pretty much anything. I mean, it's not like the starter pokémon are found in the wild near the player's hometown, so why would lab pokémon in other towns be ones found in that area?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:42 am
i think you get the starters for the region no matter the town, may be one of the reason the professors travel all over.  

BogiePop
Crew

Shameless Smoker

13,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200

TwilitOni

Tenacious Healer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:46 am
I believe they've implied once or twice within the games/anime that while it's not required to start your journey with a region's starters, most beginning trainers either travel to the regions professor to receive a starter or the professor sends them to you himself or via assistant.

In X/Y Prof. Sycamore's lab is all the way in Lumiose city and he sends Tierno to give you your starter. Prof. Juniper sends Bianca out with the starters in Black2/White2 since the starting town in that game(Aspertia City) is literally on the other side of the region from her lab in Nuvema Town.

Bulbapedia has some info on this subject actually

Apparently in the anime, beginner trainers can receive their chosen starter(of the region's three primary starters) at any Pokemon Center.

The Official Pokemon Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games