Wordcount: 1,061

User Image

"We could just go back the way we came in. I stopped knowing where we are a long time ago. It might be better for us to find the other end above ground. — Alake? Did you hear me?"

User Image

"I heard you. I'm positive we've taken at least two turns. If we go back, we'll only get lost. At least this way we know we're moving forward."

"Forward to what? It's pitch black in here. This could be a dead end for all we know."

"Then we'll start back that way when we hit a dead end. Until such time, we move forward."

"You don't have to talk to me like I'm a cub, you know. I bet you're not that much older than me. — What was that?"

"I didn't hear anything. It was just the rocks we're stepping on."

"Not that. What you mumbled. 'I don't act like it'?"

"Let's not argue in here, Ava."

"This brings to mind a certain situation I wanted to discuss with you."

"Can't it wait?"

"Until what? We find our way out of these freakishly tall, long, and wide tunnels? There's probably a secret society down here. Or it's a place to hide murdered lions' bones. It could collapse on us, too. We might not get out."

"Sarcastic dramatics are very mature."

"So is mumbling."

"Take the lead. My nose is starting to hurt from bumping into walls."

"Fine. Better stone than your a** again."

"Watch your mouth."

"Go left. Psh, no, your other left."

"That's right."

"There, finally. You ready to keep going?"

"Go ahead."

"So, really, what's the thing with you and Amira? She's —"

"I don't think our family affairs are really something you should be concerned about."

"She's my friend and she's raising seven cubs with no help from a mate or her mom. I'm afraid I am pretty concerned, like it or not."

"It's not any of your business."

"She's my friend, like I said, so I feel like it is."

"It's —"

"Watch your step up here. There's a hole in the ground. It's to the left."

"Which left?"

"The left. You know I had a mess of a family who raised me —"

"I can tell."

"Funny. I had a mess of a family who raised me, and I always wanted a family who was tight knit and... I don't know. Nurturing. I heard that you and Amira used to have that."

"Stop."

"Why? Striking to close to home?"

"No, I mean stop. Be quiet for a minute and listen."

"I don't hear anything."

"Stop talking, then listen."

"...What is that? Sounds like it's buzzing?"

"Hush."

"Fine."

"...Sounds like it's gone now, whatever it was."

"Mmhm."

"On we go... I heard you have two daughters. What's the other one? Talia?"

"It's Tabia, and yes. Why don't we talk about your family if you're so smitten with the idea."

"If you insist. Do you want to start with with my chronically lying father or my sister who thinks she reads minds?"

"Surprise me."

"There were four of us. Three females and one male. No one really knows what happened to my brother. He just kind of wandered off one day and we didn't see him again."

"You don't sound very concerned about that all things considered."

"Why would I be? As far as the world is concerned, that's just normal. I know you think Amira tarnished your perfect family values, but the truth is even with a rogue for their dad, her and those offspring of hers still have a paw up on the competition. They''re nearing hunting age and they're not trying to immediately run off to have cubs of their own. Unless that's what this one is doing..."

"Charming."

"I'm just kidding. He's still too young for that. I do wish if he was going to take off during hunting lessons he'd at least stay above ground."

"Maybe you should have kept a better eye on him."

"I was watching four at once. It happens when there's so many of them. And need I remind you I had to bring you into this tunnel rather than Amira because none of your own grandchildren wanted to stay alone with you. They don't even know who you are."

"That's enough, Ava."

"I'm not judging you, all right? We all make bad choices we regret. My twin sister and I were at each others throats since we were in the womb. If I could find her now, I'd let bygones be bygones. You can't be enjoying sulking around by yourself all the time."

"You really should stop speaking like you've got the world figured out. Are you sure your sister is the one who thinks she can read minds?"

"That's a different sister, for the record. Roka. Last time I saw her, she was getting cozy with a Goddess. Amira says you're pretty chatty with a few yourself."

"There's at least one Goddess living in this land."

"That's what I've heard. I haven't seen her yet and I plan to stay out of her why. I don't care how modest they act, nothing that lives forever can just... live normally with the rest of us."

"That's a lot of bigotry coming from the high and mighty."

"I'm talking about our kind. Not only our kind, but your own. She's your daughter. Konja's your son. You're missing out on the best times of your grandchildrens' lives. Sounds like the closest you've come to interacting with them is being recruited to find them in a tunnel."

"And to think, all we needed to make amends was the meddling advice of a stranger."

"I'm only a stranger because you disowned your kids. — Whoa, want to warn me about those sudden stops? You're the one who said we shouldn't fight down here. Surely you're too classy to resort to violence."

"Just shut your mouth until we get out of here. Switch me."

"Fine, go left. All right. Ready?"

"Yes. Go."

"I hear it again. That buzzing. Do bees live in caves?"

"This is a tunnel."

"Same thing. They don't live in tunnels either, right?"

"How would I know?"

"Stop for a second. I want to listen. I think — Wait, look! Up that way. Praise the sun, it's the light! Let's go find that grandson of yours and get everyone home before Konja gets back with the others."