Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Graduation Dilemma ; advice please

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:21 pm
Some background: I am high school senior "girl" and want to start dressing completely androgynous come freshman year of college. I already dress rather neutrally.

Graduation is coming up in a few weeks and my mom insists that I wear a dress, that no girls wear slacks under their graduation gowns, "even the masculine ones".

I however, want to wear a nice pair of slacks and a nice shirt.

She is hysterical, to say the least, but I don't feel like i want to start a new chapter of my life being somebody I'm not. Don't get me wrong, I am not trans, just want to embrace gender neutrality as I don't feel like I'm female.

Am I overreacting? Should I just wear the dress to please my family? I am one to stand solely on principle without regard to logic, so I am at a loss as to what to do here...

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

*cries*  
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:00 pm

surprised Don't cry!

I say go for it if you're most comfortable doing that instead.
If it doesn't cause too much of a stir for the family. It's literally only for a few hours. I don't think it'd mean much either way. I guess other than memories and all of the pictures you'll take.

People have done worst.

Khevyn

Witty Lover

8,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Millionaire 200

blue carnal love

Daring Galaxy

10,625 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Daring Investigator 50
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:40 pm
Do it. Wear the slacks and shirt. Forget what your family thinks and go for what you feel comfortable in. No one has the right to tell you what to wear when you're old enough to decide for yourself.  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:50 am
Tell your mom that it's your day, not hers. It's your decision what to wear and how to look during graduation. If a dress makes you uncomfortable, then just pick something else and pay no mind to what others say. You have to first make yourself happy, think about the others later (egoistic, I know, but sometimes it's the way to go).

Hope it goes well for you and don't worry too much, it's going to be fine smile  

Problematic Chinchilla

Dangerous Darling

TigerLilyChick

Devoted Lovergirl

20,475 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:11 pm
I know everyone is telling you to wear what you feel comfortable with, but you have to take into consideration what the school says you have to wear. With most high schools that I know of, girls wear dresses under their gowns. If your school said that females must wear dresses under their gowns, then you have to wear a dress under your gown.

Now if you were in college, girls can wear dresses or pants.  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:51 pm
Thank you guys. Appreciate the thoughts.  

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces