Major Backlog

She could barely keep her eyes open as she walked. Every night she had the same dream. Her stomach was swelled with cubs. Then there would be a flash forward with the cubs all older. There were five cubs total, four boys and one girl. They were all so beautiful, some with her purple, others with Haiba's browns.

The dreams were so real and she was sure that they were visions. Her visions had been more active since she joined the pride. She wasn't sure if it was the stress of the pride or the happiness of finally being with her family. Or even the stress her family had caused her.

She looked at the ground just thinking of them. There were six of them. All beautiful and handsome, strong and talented. None of them seemed cursed with her forgetfulness, she thought. Most of them still held a small grudge against her. Who would blame them though? She wished she could go back in time and fix the mistakes she made. She never met to hurt them. It just happened.

Her head tilted up when she arrived at her destination. Sol-Lucius' den. All of the cubs from her previous litter had little interest in her. Sol-Lucius, however, treated her as if she didn't even exist. While the others would at least acknowledge her, he would ignore her whenever she would speak to him. Telling him that she was pregnant would be the quickest, she thought. The others might have more to say, but she could rely on Sol to just push her aside.

With a sigh she walked into his den.

However she quickly turned around when she saw that he was alone. There were two other cheetahs in there. He was giving on kisses, while the other one danced. “I can come back another time.” She said. Before she could leave she could hear a soft chuckle.

“It's polite to at least announce yourself before coming into a den.” Sol said calmly. He pushed the entertainer away from him and stood up. “It's not like you to visit like this. Say what you need to then leave. I don't want you to come back and bother me. I don't want you walking in on something you know what I mean.”

Leenah's face flushed. She knew exactly what he meant. She turned to face him. His eyes matched those of Dhavlen. She thought she was in love with the cheetah, but realized he was not the male she wanted to raise her cubs.

“Can we have some privacy?” Leenah asked meekly, looking at the entertainers.

Sol walked toward her. “What you can say in front of me you can say in front of the entertainers. They won't blab I'm sure.” He said, glancing back at the entertainers. He had been known for his dislike for entertainers. However lately he had changed his views on them. They helped pass the time quicker. They were good for at least that.

Leenah stood up straight and looked at the entertainers who were watching with interest. “Sol, I am pregnant. I wanted to let you and your siblings know from me.” She said, looking back at him waiting for some reaction.

The first feeling he felt was anger. His mother was having another litter, no doubt she would ruin their lives just as much as she ruined his and his litter mates. However these cubs wouldn't end up like them, Sol was sure. Leenah didn't have anywhere to go. She would have to raise them herself and not abandon them. And the father, he must be part of the pride. Leenah hadn't left the pride and if she had gotten pregnant before coming she would be showing by now.

“Whose the father.” He asked with no change in his facial expression. His temper was short, but he could hide his feelings for the most part. “He is part of the pride isn't he.”

This wasn't going as she expected. By now she thought he would ask her to leave. “Haiba. Haiba is the father. He doesn't want to be involved though.” He was still a young cheetah with much in front of him. She couldn't blame him if he didn't want to help raise the cubs.

“Haiba.” He had never met the cheetah, but he knew of him. The cheetah was about his age. He gave a laugh. “Like em young don't you. Well I hope you don't mess this one up mom. Wouldn't want two litters to despise you now would you? I have a suggestion for you.”

He leaned toward her. “Do not let me see them ever. I swear if I see one of your spawns I will not be able to control myself. I will not feel any guilt for what I will do to them.” He spoke harshly in a hushed voice. “Do I make myself clear mother?”

She could feel herself tremble from his voice. This was not what she wanted. She could feel water swelling up in her eyes. “Very clear Sol.” Her ears tilted back and she backed away from him. Memories of Dhavlen returned to her, how he hated that she was pregnant with his cubs and how angry he was when she told him that she was leaving him.

The way Sol looked at her was the same as the way Dhavlen had. With hatred and distane.

Sol went back and stood next to the entertainers. “Have you already told the others?” Referring to his siblings.

“No you were the first.” She said holding back the tears. “I am sorry I disturbed you. It won't happen again.”

“Mother, your existence bothers me. Unless you go far away from here, you will always be a thorn in my paw. I have accepted that you will be living her. All I ask is that you do not come here again and tell you spawn to stay away from me. Make them fear me. Tell them stories about how horrible I am. I don't care. I just do not want to see them.” He said with a grin on his face. “I do not want those brats to see me as a brother, because I will never be that for them.”

“As for my siblings, you might want to think again before telling them. Most of us do not appreciate your presence in our lives.”

Leenah nodded before leaving. Sol-Lucius watched her as she left. His attention went back to his to the entertainers. “I am sorry about the interruption. I'll be sure to give you a tip for your trouble. Now continue before I get bored.”

(WC: 1,117)