Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Groups | Recruiting Cosplayers
Group Cosplay - Likes and Dislikes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:05 pm
I have never been in a group Cosplay but I do have a few questions about them:

1. If you have ever been in a Cosplay Group what do or did you like or dislike about them?
2. How do you start a Cosplay Group?
3. Did you ever have photoshoots taken of your group? I'm curious about Cosplay Group photoshoots since I will be doing a photoshoot with a group later this year. smile
4. What was your favorite Cosplay Group that you were a part of?
5. What do you think about Group Cosplays in general?

Feel free to answer any or all of the above questions.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:06 pm
Group Cosplays can be a lot of fun if you have the right group of people gathered together!!!

1. If you have ever been in a Cosplay Group what do or did you like or dislike about them?
I've been in a lot of Cosplay Groups. Some of them I started, some other's pulled me into, and yet others were completely impromptu. I think one of the biggest factors in a cosplay group is what type of people are together. I've been in groups where people were completely stressed out that the cosplays weren't "perfect" or that they weren't getting enough attention. The best groups I've been in have been with people who are just out to have a good time. So when getting a group together, make sure that the group is looking for the same outcome, be it attention, to hang out, or some other purpose.

I usually start a group by first calling up my cosplay buddies and asking if they're interested in pulling together a group cosplay. After I garner interest, we figure out who wants to do what. I've learned that it works best to let the cosplayers choose their characters. It's no fun having a character dictated! Also, remember that it's okay if two people want to be the same character.

Next we set a time when we want to get the cosplays done. I've found that it's good to check in with my group to see how the cosplays are coming along. I like to make group-chat formats on Facebook or another server so that everyone can talk and help each other out. It really gets us all pumped!

3. Did you ever have photoshoots taken of your group? I'm curious about Cosplay Group photoshoots since I will be doing a photoshoot with a group later this year. smilies/icon_smile.gif
I always try to organize group photoshoots when I get a group together! If it's a con event, we usually arrange a time together to run around or attend gatherings. We usually brainstorm the types of shots we want to get (action shots, couples shots, epic standing shots, etc). I try to utilize my environment so that each shoot is unique. With group shots, I try to get a secondary photographer, so that everyone can get into the picture.

During photoshoots, we all try to get into character and do whatever comes naturally. My photographers are really good at rolling with it, and if they see something good they'll tell the cosplayers to "freeze", and we'll work with the shot.

I have to choose one? I have quite a few... one of my first groups that I was apart of (and created) was for a really obscure series called Dragon Knights. I was pretty proud of that one, because at the time I was the only one familiar with the series, but I was able to get my friends to read it and pull together an awesome group!
User Image

The second one I'll mention happened at Fanime 2013. My friend and I attended the Fairy Tail Gathering, and afterwards a bunch of us were milling around because we didn't want it to be over, so my friend and I pulled together a last minute group shoot later that day! As we were running around the con prior to the shoot, we were getting a lot of attention, so we were able to pull in more and more cosplayers to join us at the gathering. It was a really big hit and TONS of fun!!!! I made a lot of friends there that I'm still in contact with!

(I unfortunately do not have any of the full shots, but enjoy one of our impromptu shots)
User Image

Group cosplays are TONS of fun, but make sure that everyone in the group is on the same page. In the same light, don't make just one person in charge of all the cosplays. This is a group effort, and it's more fun if everyone can get involved!

Have fun in your group this year! What series will you be doing? Be sure to post pictures!!!  

xinitia

Crew

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:26 pm
Dislikes: Not organized, drama, distance between members
Sometimes it's sporadic, sometimes it's planned out.
3. Did you ever have photoshoots taken of your group? I'm curious about Cosplay Group photoshoots since I will be doing a photoshoot with a group later this year.
Not often. However, I'm part of a "Kuroshitsuji" group for A-Kon 25 this year.
The "Rockman.EXE" one from back in 2006. Gawd I feel old and nostalgic.
Personally, just grab a partner and head for the hills. The more people that are involved, the drama level increases.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:01 pm
xinitia

Have fun in your group this year! What series will you be doing? Be sure to post pictures!!!

Xinitia I like all of the answers that you have given. Yes, having fun is certainly the best part. I have heard about people fusing about being the best which is sad.

I have the honor of being the photographer of a Group Cosplay. It's a group of five and they are cosplaying characters from the "Magi the magic Labyrinthine" series. It's based on Arabian Nights. I have to look up the series and come up with info on the characters and come up with poses for them. I have asked the group to do the same. I have already done one on one photoshoots but this will be my first Group Cosplay photoshoot. Most of the photos will be posted on my Deviant Art and Facebook pages. I will post a couple on Gaia as well.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:07 pm
Sifen Yamishi
Dislikes: Not organized, drama, distance between members
Sometimes it's sporadic, sometimes it's planned out.
3. Did you ever have photoshoots taken of your group? I'm curious about Cosplay Group photoshoots since I will be doing a photoshoot with a group later this year.
Not often. However, I'm part of a "Kuroshitsuji" group for A-Kon 25 this year.
The "Rockman.EXE" one from back in 2006. Gawd I feel old and nostalgic.
Personally, just grab a partner and head for the hills. The more people that are involved, the drama level increases.

Thanks Sifen for answering this question. Good luck with the photoshoot that you and your group will be in. I like your enthusiasm. Definitely the larger the group the more fun that you can have.  
Cosplay Groups | Recruiting Cosplayers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games