Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Couple Questions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Soviet Son

Businessman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:01 pm
Hello.

I am a straight male and I am completely acceptant of people who take on the homosexual lifestyle. I think you guys deal with a lot of prejudice bullshit that is solely based on your independent pursuit of happiness. That being said, I have a couple questions (some generic, some not so much) for anyone here who IS homosexual.

1. Were you born gay? Or did you first begin trying to live a heterosexual lifestyle before you found discomfort in it?

2. Is it possible to be Gay and religious when most religious institutions frown upon the idea of homosexuality? (Note: I am an agnostic who believes in re-incarnation, but I have no religious affiliations at all)

3. What social advantages do you find to being a gay man or woman? I'm sure it is easier to see an individuals true colors and open-mindedness, but this is simply an assumption.

4. In terms of dating, do you find the gay community and it's relationships better or worse than the stereotypes that come with heterosexual relationships? Often there are reports of domestic violence, frequent cheating, and other types of dysfunction that exist within a heterosexual relationship. I was wondering if these problems were as frequent within the gay community.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to answer these questions, as I would like to get inside the perspective of someone who lives a lifestyle that I do not. Thanks again!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:01 pm
To start, being heterosexual or homosexual is not a "lifestyle", it's a sexual orientation. I suspect you were simply seeking to use a term that you thought was polite, but I would strongly advise against that one in particular, because it's incredibly loaded. razz

Other than the fact that my partner is the same sex as me, my sexuality has nothing to do with my "lifestyle".

1) I suspect so, but I have no idea how I'd know for sure, given that I didn't realize I wasn't straight until my teens. I certainly have no choice in the matter as far as who I'm attracted to.

I have dated both men and women, but I knew who I was attracted to before I dated anyone.

2) Yes, not only is it possible, it's not even that uncommon. There are a number of guild-members here who are both queer and religious to some degree.
I have next to no knowledge about other religions, but to use Christianity as an example, there are a good many people, gay and straight alike, who do not believe that homosexuality is truly sinful as far as God is concerned; many of the supposed prohibitions in the Bible have been poorly translated, and are often taken entirely out of context.

3) Social advantages? I don't know. :s

4) Some people are assholes, it doesn't matter whether they're queer or straight. I don't think queer relationships are any more or less prone to those issues than any others. People are people.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:09 pm
1. I believe we are born the person we are and become the person we're meant to be. In short, I believe I was born as a homosexual, but as Taeryyn said, I don't consider it a lifestyle, rather an aspect of who I am and how I lead my life.

2. It is indeed possible to reconcile your faith and your sexual orientation. Your interpretation of God's words are your own. Religion is intended to supplement and guide your life, not dictate it.

3. Social advantages are negligible. I don't see any inherent advantage to being a homosexual, as I said it's an aspect of a person not a determining factor.

4. The LGBTQ community experiences just about everything the heterosexual community does, just perhaps in a different way. LGBTQ community members still discriminate against people within the very same community and any relationship oriented factors are typical to those within the heterosexual community. Notably, the only difference I'd say between the communities themselves is that the LGBTQ community experiences discrimination both external and internally.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:07 pm
i wouldnt really call it a lifestyle, i do the same things as straight people. i consider walking everyday to be a lifestyle, being bi isnt something i do, its just a tiny detail about who i am

1- im not really sure? i think i was always bi. i had never given it much thought at all until i was in middle school

2- of course. there are plenty of christians in the lgbt community

3- none at all. we arent better than straight people in any way

4- they can be just as common

just something to keep in mind, we arent all rainbows and unicorns. there are just as many assholes in the lgbt community as there are in any other group of people. we can be just as homophobic, racist, and generally horrible people as any straight person  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

I AM R U

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:27 am
Taeryyn
To start, being heterosexual or homosexual is not a "lifestyle", it's a sexual orientation. I suspect you were simply seeking to use a term that you thought was polite, but I would strongly advise against that one in particular, because it's incredibly loaded. razz

Other than the fact that my partner is the same sex as me, my sexuality has nothing to do with my "lifestyle".

Couldn't have put it better myself!  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff