User ImageUser Image

The moon was nearly full now and high in the sky. The pack was beginning to wake from their daytime sleeping, but not Nungal. She had been awake for hours already, preparing herself for the night ahead. She had been up, awake, scouting the packlands for the right herds to pick from for the coming festival: an old tradition that Baraza Alnilam seemed intent on bringing back from her father's time as a member of the Baraza. It had been lost overtime as fewer and fewer of the pack seemed to care or even wanted to participate in it. Still, according to her: "Her father still went out once a year with me and my and siblings to celebrate and remember." It was an interesting thought, being the only family out.

The pack was alive now as minutes had flown by with Nungal's mind lost in thought. Wild dogs were everywhere, preparing for the coming celebration. Word was that another pack would be attending but no one knew for certain. Another pack joining them in their celebration! How exciting!

As she moved, so did the pack it seem. There were murmurs in the air, paws and teeth moving as conversations flew around her. Wide-eyed, Nungal simply nudged herself between those in her way. Finally, after nearly running into another Howler and stepping on a pup that decided to run right beside her, she had made it outside of one of the communal dens. It was even so outside. There were materials for gifts and offerings the mouths of other wild dogs as they ran from one to another, giving pieces needed to those of all ranks to create their perfect item. Still, Nungal had nothing to give. She was still relatively new to the pack, having only been a member since middle adolescence. Some knew what the Mothers would prefer, or so they liked to think at least. She? A rogue, previous light-dweller? Not nearly as much.

Still, that would not stop her from trying. Her gift though would take more effort then some. There was even a chance she would fail and come back with nothing to show on the night that was...so close. Only a few days separated her from the night of the full moon and the festival as well.

"Nungal!" Came a new voice, shouting over those around it.

She could not help but turn her ears and her head along with it towards the sound. Who in the world was calling for her? A bright smile quickly replaced any look of confusion of her face as she saw who had yelled for her.

Pushing through the crowds was Endymion, freshly returned from his time as a Comet. Of course there was a little more pride to his step. Both he and Dyanna had returned together, but considering the two had left together, it wasn't all that surprising that would come back at the same time. He was smiling as well as he made his way over to Nungal. "Busy huh?" The starry-pelted wild dog asked as he laughed at such as a stupid question being asked while others moved around them. Of course the pair had chosen to stand in the way.

"What in the world are you doing back already? It seems like you only left yesterday! Also..." Nungal frowned as she lowered her head quickly to playfully headbutt the male in the shoulder. Her head raised just as quickly as she narrowed her eyes are him. "That's for not telling me you were back!"

"But I'm telling you now!" Came the protest as he nudged her with one of his paws. "Well I came back a week ago or so, but you know my mom. She wanted me to tell her all about my experience in the rogue lands and then Dyanna got home...so it started all over again, except she didn't spare any details." Endymion rolled his eyes as he spoke of his sister. The two of them got along well enough, but not they were not the closest of siblings. She would tell everyone everything if she was asked to now that she was older. Even as a pup. 'Maybe that's why mom had Karoma watch her...'

He shook his head, glancing over the blue lady in front of him. "You don't seem to have a gift yet. You've made it right? Can I see it?"

"What, no!" Of course she yelled that a little too loudly as a few passing pack members stopped momentarily to look at the two of them. Her ears went back as she lowered her head a little. Only the Endymion's laughter broke her from the embarrassment that had started to take over. "I mean no, you can't see it because I haven't made it." Nungal paused momentarily before continuing, "I'm not going to be making one actually. Well kind of, but not really. I have to go get it first. I was actually on my way to go do that before you yelled at me."

"I yelled for you, not at you." He corrected with a grin. "Anyways, what do you need? Some plant fibers? Berries? Oh, what about a crocodile tooth? Those aren't too hard to find if you can find an old kill of theirs..."

"None of those," The she-dog interrupted. "I need to go hunting actually. I need a specific fur that I intend to get from my contribution to the feast as a Howler. Though some teeth wouldn't be bad either...Hm..." Nungal sat herself down, right there, in the way as she began to think. The teeth would make a nice addition...

"Hey, hey Nungal. We can't sit here. There are too many people around." He said quietly and he nosed the side of her head to try and break her train of thought. "But hey, you could tell me about it while we're hunting. I'm a Howler not too, you know! We'll be hunting together sometimes. I still need to make my gift too though, so maybe you can help me later in return." Endymion never was a great at crafting anything, not even his words, but maybe Nungal could help him with that.

The nudge definitely did break her concentration as it jerked her out her mind again an back into reality, but it almost meant that some of her thoughts had just been lost to the void in her mind. "Huh...oh, you're a Howler too?! Well then, lets go hunt. I don't think you've done any since you got back, given what you said about your mom and sister basically holding you hostage since you did. I can help you learn!" Nungal jumped back onto her paws, nearly hitting someone that had been walking behind her. "Well come on then, lets go! There's really no time to waste now." Especially given how close it was to the festival. Without really making sure he was following, she started running off in the direction of the hunting grounds to the west.

Of course Endymion followed behind, just as he always seemed to be. She was pawful to deal with on a day to day basis, but she had been one of his only friends growing up and she had also taught him a lot about the rogue lands which had helped prepare him for his time as a Comet. Even some of the stories she had told him had helped him out immensely. Now he would return the favor by helping her with her gift.

[word count: 1259]