[ Lucani : open ] - custom contest!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Lucani

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:33 pm
User Image

Welcome to a custom contest, and also the first contest hosted by the Lucani.

Starts: 11PM CST, 2/1/2014
        Ends: 11PM CST, TBD (extended from 3/3/2014)

So you want into the pride but don't have anything to put in?
    Well have no fears, we're here to help you out with that! We here at the Lucani want everyone to enjoy their time in the pride and so we've put together a little giveaway for the community here in SoA. We're giving away a free, adult custom. We'll even toss in a custom familiar if it fits your character's story. Yes, we said story. While we want people to enjoy collecting pets in the shop, we also want to further progress the story we've developed for this pride of ours. This contest will not just be judged by how compelling your story is, but also the character design, how well you seem to grasp what we're trying to do with the pride and a number of other things. Onto more information!

So what species/lines can you pick from?
    Well you can pick from: Lion (all rogue lines), Leopard (updated/alt), and Cheetah (updated/alt). While hybrids are allowed, they cannot be customed outside of breedings so we can't offer that. Oh and hyenas and wild dogs aren't allowed right now.

So what are the rules for this?
    We're glad you asked! Just the basic things, following the shop and GAIA's rules, don't be a jerk to other people competing as well. There's also a few more this time though:
      • The SoA won through this event must stay within the Lucani unless one of two things happens: it disbands or never happens.
      • We reserve the right to not give away said free custom if we feel there were no appropriate entries.

So..in a nutshell, what's the pride's history?
    The Lucani is a female-oriented pride that resides within the Kalahari Desert. They live to survive and have adapted to fit their location. They are most known for their (now dying) language and their ability to train the dangerous snakes all around them to help them with guard duties. They are also known for having no male rulers, which is unlike traditional pride hierarchies. They are usually seen as primal and uncivilized by many outside of their own, but in fact they have a sophisticated hierarchy that divides work into various categories. They do not enjoy the luxuries that many prides have and have to live with what they have. Because of his strife, it is not uncommon to find an old member or a descendant of a Lucani that has moved north in search of a better life.

The pride used to be an entirely different pride that was completely male dominated and lionesses used to be basically worthless. One day, their sun goddess sent an avatar to represent her will within the pride and saved them after weeks of praying in the heat. The first freed was Mfuasi and those lionesses freed with her became the first members of the Lucani.

Mfuasi was terrified of being put back under male rule and ordered all males to be chased from their new lands or at worst; killed. Her paranoia turned to madness and she died from an illness that could easily be treated simply because she began to fear everyone in her pride. Luckily for the pride, Mfuasi had a daughter who had been born before their freedom who was about to succeed her. Under the daughter's rule, males were allowed back into the pride with the new rank of Erkek. Since then, the pride enjoyed prosperity and growth.

< insert several generation time skip here >

Until one fateful night, roughly a year ago (ICly), when a bordering pride attacked them. It was unknown who attacked them that night, but they do know that their line of succession had been lost that night. Brothers and sisters alike died that night and a majority of the pride scattered into the Kalahari. Otera and Ares were among those lost, as were both of Ares' brothers. Otrera had been the Kichwa standing instead of Ares; the rightful sun-touched. Both of Ares' brothers were from Mfuasi's line, but lacked her sun marking that has since been associated with their freedom.

As of now, the pride is rebuilding and has since allowed non-lion felines to join their ranks, including hybrids. There is no new Kichwa to take their place and while the Ndae are doing their best to keep the pride calm in their troubling times, the pride cannot help but feel like a tree without its roots.

What if I have questions!
    PM any questions you have this mule right here and we'll be happy to answer them! In truth, we really love seeing that little "X New Private Message(s)" box pop up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:42 pm
Information
Your SoA will be an adult and can be one of three species: lion, leopard or cheetah.

Your history, personality and the story you create will be completely up to you, but you must provide something when entering. None of the form is optional and must all be filled in to be eligible to enter.

You may post your form without it, but if you have not edited it in by the time this closes, you will be disqualified.

The Form
[quote="The Lucani"]Hey-o, look at my entry![/quote]
[size=11]
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]SoA's Name:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Species:[/b] < include the lines please or we'll CC them >
[b]Rank:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b] < visual reference or detailed description >
[b]Edits:[/b] < yes, your SoA may have edits - they will not be inheritable though - no items though >

[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]
[b]If not answered above, how did your character join the Lucani?:[/b]
[b]Would you like your character, should you win, to become part of the pride's inner plot?:[/b] < this will be an RP-heavy role, so please think carefully >

[ Exclude the familiar section if you are not trying for a familiar with your SoA. ]

[b]Familiar Name:[/b]
[b]Familiar Species:[/b] < and lines if bird >

[b]Familiar Personality:[/b]
[b]Familiar History:[/b][/size]

The Lucani

The Lucani

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:10 pm
And maybe one more for an entry list.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:28 am
The Lucani
Hey-o, look at my entry!

Username: CaliWolfe
SoA's Name: Taraji (anticipate in Swahili)
Species: Lion (alt) or Cheetah (either lines)

Appearance: ref
Edits: I'd like her to seem serious and be a little more fluffy. Also, I'd be nice if she could have some scars or bite marks from working with snakes. Oh, and claws! I'd like it if she could have some visible claws as well.

Personality: Taraji is surprisingly a approachable person. Her "snake eyes" cause her to be feared, but Taraji is actually a kind-hearted soul who would love nothing more than a nice big fluffy hug. She appears serious, having been raised by her snake to not reveal emotion. Her straightforward yes or no answers do not help her appear as childish as she actually is either. But right down to her core Taraji is happy and kind and selfless. If only she would smile a little bit more.
History: Originally part of the Caldur, few members actually know/remember this. A few days after Taraji learned to walk, she wandered north by mistake. She became lost, and utterly alone for several days, with her family convinced nature had killed her. It was then, lost, alone, and in the cold night descending over the sky that she ran into a snake. The snake (who was called Sena), poisonous, oddly befriended Taraji, perhaps taking pity on her being lost. The duo travelled together for a long time, getting to know one another, and becoming close friends. Nearly inseparable. The snake had also done the duty of teaching Taraji to speak, how to hunt for herself, and even how to dig water out from under the sand. However, a snake can only do so much, and although Taraji could... Speak, she could not speak well. To snakes she could speak perfectly, but then the snake finally returned her to the Caldur, Taraji didn't feel quite like she belonged anymore. She could not talk to her family, for they did not commune with snakes. They expected her to be submissive, but she was used to being free, and doing her own thing with Sena out in the desert. Trying to make it work for a few months, Taraji bid farewell to Sena although the snake always stayed near by. Eventually she couldn't take it anymore and she ran away, this time for good! With Sena by her side the duo once again set out into the desert. They happened upon the Lucani, and after a rather long and tiring attempt to explain they had no bad intentions, Taraji and Sena were allowed to stay. The Lucani were even so nice as to teach Taraji words. Actual words that lions used, not the snake language. Still, those words were few and Taraji did not feel the need to express all those words, she had Sena to talk to! The pride recognized her talent on taking care of the snake, and promoted her to being a Nyoka. Understanding her duties, Taraji now takes care of the pride's snakes and happily calls them all by name.

If not answered above, how did your character join the Lucani?: I think I pretty much answered that already.
Would you like your character, should you win, to become part of the pride's inner plot?: considering her history with the Caldur, it would certainly be interesting. So yes, I would.

Familiar Name: Sena
Familiar Species: Snake (poisonous)

Familiar Personality: Sena is straightforward and no monkey business. She is patient, but not very kind, and prefers teaching discipline to misbehaving miscreants!
Familiar History: Prior to meeting Taraji, she slithered through the desert while trying to survive. She had met another snake and birthed a litter of her own, but because of the harsh environment they died. The father was heartbroken and ran away from Sena, blaming her for their children's death. Going off on her own, rather sad at this point she ran into a little cub with eyes that resembled her own! The cub was utterly hopeless and sobbing like a baby, she needed a good disciplined parent to put her back in line. She then helped the cub and raised her as if she was her own. This cub being Taraji, she taught her all she needed to know. When Taraji left the Culdur pride Sena was more than happy to accompany her "daughter" once more.

CaliWolfe

Shy Prophet

AstoriaFallen

AstoriaFallen

Winter Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:55 pm
since there has only been on entry so far can I still join? even though the closing date was 2 weeks ago?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:46 pm
AstoriaFallen
since there has only been on entry so far can I still join? even though the closing date was 2 weeks ago?
Yep. <3 I'm actually thinking of extending this, just because I've been horrible at getting this posted. :c So you've got time~  

The Lucani

AstoriaFallen

AstoriaFallen

Winter Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:17 am
The Lucani
Hey-o, look at my entry!

Username: AstoriaFallen
SoA's Name: KhAvar (Splendor, light, brightness; The place where the sun rises)
Species: Lion Rouge New

Appearance: color scheme
[will try and get a reference drawn up] She's the color of the sky on a moonless night with bangs and a tail the color of the rising sun (dark orange and rich deep gold, darker than her markings). Markings, the same color as her mane, adorn her front legs in a design that almost appears as if the sun is rising on her legs and fades away into the dark pelt at her shoulders. Gold bands circle the base and tip of her tail and she has a golden orange mask that adorns her eyes in a very graceful and filigree type manner. (im going to try and draw a reference. if anything she's going to have golden orange filigree type designs that accent her eyes). Her eyes are the color of gold and copper mixed together. Her back legs have bands that circle her ankles (same color as other markings). [Feel free to edit her a little bit if you think of something that might look better than how I described it.]
Edits: Her head fur being a little longer and a little fluffy and definitely some claws <3 Perhaps a scar or two on her hind quarters. Her expression would be that of a smirk, perhaps narrowed eyes too?

Personality: She's bitter at times and has a somewhat cold personality. This was mainly due to her siblings and mother dying at such a young age and sucking all the joy out of her heart. She's tough and isn't afraid to bite of more than she can chew. She's a fighter and doesn't back down once provoked. Deep down she's really just hurt and needs someone to show her the light, but that will take a lot of work as well as someone getting close enough to her to allow that to happen. Which is less than likely since she doesn't let anyone get close to her emotionally, minus Nasgul. He's the exception.
History: (She was the sole daughter to one of the members that fled.) She was more than aware of the history surrounding the Lucani. Her mother had lived and survived through it, only to die alone in the desert, leaving her alone at an early age. Her mother had been pregnant at the time of the attack and had given birth to three cubs, one of which was still born. She and her brother had survived, however fate was not so kind. He was killed when he was bitten by a younger snake whose venom was much more potent than those of the older vipers. There wasn't anything she could do as she watched his succumb to the poison, frothing at the mouth as his breathing labored. She learned early on to not love. Mainly because those you loved died and it took a part of you with them. Her mother wasn't going to make it much longer either and when she passed the young cub was left alone to fend for herself. She didn't know when it would be safe to head back to the lands that her mother had once called home so she dared not go back. As she grew she became a skilled hunter and forager. She had also obtained a scar or two from a hyena that wanted to steal her kill. She had bested it, but had still gotten a good smack to the hind quarters. One evening she came across a young snake that had it's tail trapped under some rocks that had slid loose from a small mound and she successfully freed the poisonous reptile. It appeared as though the snake claimed her as it's savor and therefor provider because once she started to leave it followed her and no matter what she did it would always come back. Finally she gave up and took the time to learn and soon she realized that Nasgul, as she named him was quite handy to have around. She was also quite handy for catching him food. The two seemed suited for each other since she was quite cold at times and he was the opposite. He was her good side that she didn't have. After months had passed she wondered if the Lucani was safe and she made her way there with Nasgul in toe to see if her mothers homeland could be salvaged.

If not answered above, how did your character join the Lucani?:
Would you like your character, should you win, to become part of the pride's inner plot?: YES! I love RP <3

Familiar Name: Nasgul
Familiar Species: Snake

Familiar Personality: He's a charmer and is almost the complete opposite of Avar. He is protective and will do his best to safeguard her, as she does him. He prides himself in being able to get her to show her "soft" side that she denies having. It's there and he's still planning on making her see that it's okay to care and that it's supposed to hurt when you lose those you love. He's got a teaching sort of agenda about him at times and overall he's a very pleasant reptile to be around.
Familiar History:
Nasgul has no idea about where or who he came from. The one thing he remembers with clarity was that one day he got stuck when some rocks came lose and this young dark lioness saved him and he's been with her ever since.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:19 pm
would this design be alright for me to use in my entry: http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr81/lost_paradise_2007/SoA/lion_reference.png  

dbz2010

Obsessive Prophet

13,400 Points
  • Battle: Level Up 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Cats vs Dogs 100

The Lucani

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:35 pm
dbz2010
would this design be alright for me to use in my entry: http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr81/lost_paradise_2007/SoA/lion_reference.png
Looks fine to me!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:47 pm
awesome. now time to finish up the form so that i can post it before the deadline  

dbz2010

Obsessive Prophet

13,400 Points
  • Battle: Level Up 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
[OOC] Events [OOC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items