View Results

Eye_seE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:34 am
What do you all think about

The bible being the actual word of god.

or

The bible being inspired by god.

or

The bible being written by people who witnessed the acts of god.

???  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:27 pm
Personally, I believe that the original Bible (as it was dictated to it's writers in Koine Greek and ancient Hebrew) is and was the pure, unadultered word of God. However, through the myriad of translations, as well as the changing cultures, certain parts of the Bible can only be fully understood by looking at the words of the original language and their cultural context.  

ioioouiouiouio

Sinner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:26 pm
Whereas I take the opposite view, that the Bible has no more bearing on reality (and is far less interesting) than, say, Dune.

But not the new ones, the good ones. The new ones bite.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:05 am
Cometh The Inquisitor
Personally, I believe that the original Bible (as it was dictated to it's writers in Koine Greek and ancient Hebrew) is and was the pure, unadultered word of God.

Even the parts where Paul states that he's giving his own opinion on something that the Lord hasn't been explicit about?

Now about virgins: I have no command from the Lord, but I give a judgment as one who by the Lord's mercy is trustworthy. Because of the present crisis, I think that it is good for you to remain as you are. -- 1 Corinthians 7

At best, that's divine inspiration (he does say that the Lord's mercy has made him 'trustworthy'). To say that it's God's Word is to contradict the bible, and I'm sure that you don't want to go there.

Sinner
But not the new ones, the good ones. The new ones bite.

Curse you, Brian Herbert! Curse you!  

Tarrou

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:25 pm
Tangled Up In Blue

Even the parts where Paul states that he's giving his own opinion on something that the Lord hasn't been explicit about?

Now about virgins: I have no command from the Lord, but I give a judgment as one who by the Lord's mercy is trustworthy. Because of the present crisis, I think that it is good for you to remain as you are. -- 1 Corinthians 7

At best, that's divine inspiration (he does say that the Lord's mercy has made him 'trustworthy'). To say that it's God's Word is to contradict the bible, and I'm sure that you don't want to go there.

Okay, I amend my statement. The Bible is the Word of God except for the parts where it explicitly states that it is not.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:05 am
Cometh The Inquisitor
Okay, I amend my statement. The Bible is the Word of God except for the parts where it explicitly states that it is not.

Good man.  

Tarrou

nikochik450

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:31 pm
Tangled Up In Blue

What verse is that?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:38 pm
I believe the actual inspired Word of God. He used earthly men to write this and inspired them through the work of the Holy Ghost in their hearts.

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness"
II Timothy 3:16

"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."' II Peter 1:21  

nikochik450

Tarrou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:48 pm
nikochik450
What verse is that?

That would be 1 Corinthians 7:25.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:26 pm
Tangled Up In Blue
Cometh The Inquisitor
Personally, I believe that the original Bible (as it was dictated to it's writers in Koine Greek and ancient Hebrew) is and was the pure, unadultered word of God.

Basically what you are saying is that even if there is one statement in the Bible that doesn't come from God. The Bible is not valued as the Word of God. You might as well bicker at the Jews for contradicting if thats your conclusion.

There can be no doubt that the Bible itself claims that every word, in every part of the Bible, is inspired by God (1 Corinthians 2:12-13; 2 Timothy 3:16-17). This view of the Scriptures is often referred to as "verbal plenary" inspiration. What that means is that the inspiration extends to the very words themselves (verbal inspiration), not just concepts or ideas; and that the inspiration extends to all parts of Scripture and all subject matters of Scripture (plenary inspiration). There are some people who believe that only parts of the Bible are inspired, or only the thoughts or concepts that deal with religion are inspired, but these views of inspiration fall short of what the Bible itself claims. Full verbal plenary inspiration is an essential characteristic of the Word of God. God inspired all Scripture and that it is profitable to us. It is not just the parts of the Bible that deal with religious doctrines that are inspired, but each and every part from Genesis to Revelation is the very Word of God.

Another verse that deals with the inspiration of the Scriptures is 2 Peter 1:21. This verse tells us that "prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit." This verse helps us to understand that although men wrote the Scriptures, the words they wrote were the very words of God. Even though God used men with their distinctive personalities and writing styles, God divinely inspired the very words they wrote.

You cant overwrite theology with logic in Christianity.  

Jedediah Smith

Tarrou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:42 pm
Jedediah Smith
You cant overwrite theology with logic in Christianity.

Allow me to make sure I understand you properly: You're saying that God inspired Paul to write that he had received no specific information from the Lord on the subject of virginity, and that he was merely giving a 'trustworthy' opinion on the matter, when in fact Paul's 'opinion' was actually the inspired Word of God and, in fact, a direct, although disguised, statement of God's will. Seems unnecessarily complicated. Why wouldn't God have simply given Paul a direct command and spared us the confusion.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:59 am
We know some parts of the bible was written down by what our Father told the writers, while some part where writen by ones that saw the work of our Father.  

rockmanx

chickenlipsRfun2eat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:38 am

The OT is the God-Breathed.
The NT is the People written.

But then when you read the bible,
wether it be the OT or NT, as long as you do understand it and
do apply it to life, that is what I call the Word Of God.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:16 am
I think the whole Bible is God talking to the people and they are writing what he said. That is why it is soooo Important to read the Bible everyday so you can be close to God and hear what he might say to you.  

Jenniferlynn

Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces