Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Light Atago

Lupine Loiterer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:59 pm
User Image

Curse that Njal! That had been a pretty constant stream of thought in this lioness' mind ever since the Bretast Vindar. At the time she had not realized what the change would mean... She only watched a match where one lion beat another. Her truest loyalty had always been to her own muscle, but now she had realized that politics could be quite important. A quick stop had been put on her goal, but she would not stop. No, just pause and train harder in preparation. She would put herself outside during storms many times, to become even more accustomed to it. The chill of the sea's air no longer bothered her, it gave her great pride. She could think of many lions and lionesses who could not tolerate these temperatures- they would whine and moan and beg for her to lend them her fur cloak.

She would tell them to shut their traps and toughen up. Perhaps give them a piece of her tail tuft to keep them warm. A nice slap in the face. That was her style.

She did not often openly complain about her situation by her own standards, but it was ever in the forefront of her mind. Today she stood in the higher elevations by the cliffs, feeling the wind buffeting her fur, pondering how she should train herself today in preparation for someday becoming a reaver... There was something about the harsh sea that gave her mind the peace to think clearly enough to come up with something to do every day.

((EDIT: I forgot to roll, will do in the next one. Sorry for that!))

Princess_Feylin

Princess_Feylin rolled 1 100-sided dice: 54 Total: 54 (1-100)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:53 am
User ImageDis was not thinking of training or Njal or politics. She was thinking of her den and how she would like to rearrange the treasure accumulated there to make it look more appealing. Every so often she went through a nest-building phase, but it never progressed farther than rearranging her den and finding a male to satisfy certain other impulses. She was always very careful to see a priestess after such trysts to ensure she didn't end up with unwanted spawn.

The way the wind was picking up by the cliffs made her think that the first thing she ought to do was hang a heavy pelt over the entrance to her den to keep that biting wind from blowing into her den and chilling her to the bone. She would have to secure it, too, she mused as she fought the gusts to gain altitude, lowering her head against the wind and flattening her ears to her skull to keep them from freezing. Her eyes, too, were narrowed against ocean spray and flying particles, so her visibility was nigh nonexistent as she climbed.

Born into the pride, old family or not, Dis was cold, and she was letting the wind know what she thought of it, too: "Gods-cursed, ball-licking ice gale. Stormlords, could you not send this hellish weather toward our enemies?"

Light Atago
I apologize for vanishing yesterday. Don't worry about rolling. I'm pretty sure that flea thing will be winding down soon anyway. (Though I should probably check the date on the announcement).

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

Light Atago

Lupine Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:25 am
Inari's ear perked towards the source of the muttering that started to materialize from the sound of the gale in her ears, her head turning soon after hear ear. She found herself looking at a lioness. This far into the lands, she naturally knew her to be a pridemember, but she wasn't sure who this was. She thought she might have seen her before though... She recognized the faces of most of her pridemates by now, whether or not she knew them personally.

She did not know this one in particular, though. She had not heard all of the mutterings, but she had caught the last sentence. "That would sure be something," she called in greeting to the lioness, "a battle in such a storm. Or perhaps the storm striking those bloody pirates, with us tight on its heels!" Could you imagine the looks on the faces of the foes? The Stormborn seeming to herd a storm into battle for them, what fun that would be. She hoped to someday be a part of such an event. It had been too long...

She wasn't sure if the lioness knew her, but she supposed since Inari wasn't sure of the brown lioness's name, her fellow Stormborn didn't know hers. "The name's Inari, a Freeborn" she said solidly over the breeze. The last bit was probably assumed in the way she held herself, but it couldn't hurt to include in an introduction.

Princess_Feylin
No prob, it happens. :3 And alright!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:40 am
Dis turned to look with horror at a lioness she had not even realized was there. Her failure to observe the lioness and the inattentiveness that caused it was the source of her horror, rather than the lioness's suggestion about a battle in the storm. She could have walked herself right off the cliff! Wouldn't that have been an ignominious way to die? Well, maybe it wouldn't be as bad as dying in bed, but that was iffy. Casting oneself off a cliff rather than succumb to wounds or illness or old age was one thing. Walking off a cliff because you didn't know where the edge was...that was somewhat less epic.

"Good to know you, Inari. I'm Dis, a reaver." She raised her voice to be heard over the winds and the crashing surf below, but she wasn't sure how much of it got through. She sincerely doubted that her name did. Very short words tended to be problematic when they were unfamiliar and buried in sentences.

"It's a good day to die, wouldn't you say?" She squinted toward the edge of the cliff and her fur fluffed up a little bit more as thunder rolled in the distance over the water. Wonderful. She was going to be a little lionessicle by the time she reached home, particularly if she lingered to chat with this possibly suicidal freeborn. Who had asked her a question, hadn't she? Dis thought back...

"I can't say I'd mind a battle that went that easily. It would certainly be one for the skalds and lawspeakers."

Light Atago
Look! I can make prompt tags, too!

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

Light Atago

Lupine Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:00 am
Inari listened to what the Stormborn had to say, taking a few steps closer to her to hear better of the winds. They were starting to pick up, and the thunder in the distance meant... A storm was on the way. Inari had only really come out for the winds, not a storm, but that was lower on her personal priority list. She really needed work on her priorities. "A great day to die!" she responded in both greeting and agreeance. She did not hope to die in a storm, but rather in battle. But she too unknowingly shared similar thoughts as Dis- better than having died after a useless life. At least some could say she was daft enough to brave a storm for no good reason- better than having nothing to remember you by.

"Didn't catch your name, but did I hear you right? You're a reaver?" Inari did not often show admiration, she tended to show a gruff condescension or a rowdy form of respect. Admiration on her showed through her voice and a hint of it in her eyes. "You go viking?" She continued, eyes darting a bit as her mind raced. She spoke with many, but it was not everyday she had an opportunity that she had the chance to speak with someone who held the position she someday hoped to hold herself. "Where all have you been? You've probably been in some awesome battles... How did you do it?" The most emphasis was placed on this last question, the one she wanted answered the most. She had a guess that perhaps this lioness had achieved her rank prior to the last Breytast Vindar, but she would only have a chance to know if she asked. She paid no heed to the rolling clouds in the not-so-distant distance, though she was not oblivious to them. She became vaguely aware that she had started shivering, but she needed answers, she felt.

Princess_Feylin
XDDD I feel very accomplished when I make quick responses.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:08 am
"Dis," the lioness tried again, although she suspected it would make little difference. Short names were useful in battle, but there were times when they were less helpful. After a long enough pause to separate her name from what she would say next she continued, "That's right."

As Inari drew closer, Dis began to shift subtly away. It wasn't that she didn't want to be near Inari, but she was sort of hoping that she could lead the other lioness out of the elements and into some sort of shelter so that they wouldn't be having this conversation when the rain hit. No matter where they were in the pride they would probably have to shout - the winds really did howl during storms, and the thunder and crashing waves never made things quieter - but they could at least be dry and shouting.

"Lots of places. But not lately. Njal." At the warlord's name she rolled her eyes. "I was lucky to earn my position before he earned his."

Light Atago
So do I. Like I ought to win some sort of ribbon or sticker.

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

Light Atago

Lupine Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:28 am
The lioness' name seemed to be "Ssss," though Inari truly questioned whether that was the case, or if that was at the very end of her name and that was all that made it through the wind. She would ask again later, somehow. Ssss seemed like a weird name to her. Inari followed to keep leaning in, finding that she was unconsciously moving bit by bit away from the cliffs. "I see. That's unfortunate," she said in response to the lioness not viking lately, a small hint of fire in her voice. "Do you feel absolutely stir crazy here then?" She questioned whether or not she should share her own personal ambitions with the lioness. On the one paw, she was a Reaver, and the way her body language spoke of Njal just now made Inari feel she could be trusted. On the other, it was possible that her life could be made more difficult if that information reached the wrong set of ears. Maybe she would lead up to it in this conversation if it seemed right... She was pretty sure the reaver could be trusted, but it couldn't hurt to give it a little more time.

"Do you do some training to keep yourself sharp?" The words You know, for when we're more free again, were left hanging in the air. It was at this point that a loud crack of thunder broke, and Inari's attention finally turned to the sky. "I guess we'd better find some shelter!" she called over the storm, finally caving and seeing if Dis shared the thought she had been oblivious to.

Princess_Feylin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:41 am
It took Dis a moment to respond as she tried to sort out the sounds she heard Inari making and match them to words that would make sense in the context of their conversation. When she finally decided she had been asked if it was crazy to be talking here, she answered, "Absolutely." Then she moved a little more in the direction of home.

She caught the next bit about training, but completely lost anything after that particular word. Hopefully it wasn't important. But, in response to whether she trained, she nodded. It seemed more practical than trying to speak the affirmative, since a nod could hardly be misheard.

"Good idea," she agreed when finally Inari realized that the weather was going to take a sudden turn for the utter s**t in a matter of minutes, based on the wind and the thunder. It was a fast-moving storm that would probably be over in short order, but vicious while it passed through. "Do you live nearby?"

Light Atago
Haha! Thank you.

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

Light Atago

Lupine Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:11 am
Inari looked skyward for a moment to gauge the speed of the storm. She turned back to Dis, "Not near enough to make it to my den for sure... If we bolted we might make it before the storm hits, but it'll be a close call. Are you closer?" She asked over the wind. Looking back at it, you could tell that it was pouring under those clouds- they dragged themselves down to earth as the loosened their load. That would be some pelting rain when it hit.

She realized that they could talk wherever they decided to land, so she would hold her questions. In the meanwhile, the back of her head had so many questions, and a few daydreams. It would be so fun to go viking, and really, all things considered, Inari thought that this lioness would make a great ally in the future. Someday things would be normal again- the pride would be free for any able body to go out and "earn" some winnings from the savannahs. She often had her thoughts dwell on that, looking forward to going out with a team and beating some low-lifes into submission while the victors took the spoils. Yes, a fine day that would be.

The forefront of her mind, though, was trying to come up with possibilities. She had been here long enough to know the surrounding terrain, she should be able to come up with a backup cave, or rocks in the form of a lean-to under which they could hide if Dis' place was further than hers, and they needed something more immediate. Perhaps there was something along the way? A couple of lean-tos and a tall rock were all that came to mind. One offered protection to the side, the other only to above, but neither to both... There must be a crevice somewhere, if all else failed!

Princess_Feylin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:28 am
Dis nodded. "Less than two minutes' walk from here. Shall we?"

Without waiting for a reply, Dis began trotting toward her den, occasionally glancing over her shoulder at the rain drawing nearer. The occasional thunder was deafening, but she was not unaccustomed to it. Certainly not like some of the unfortunate outlanders she had known who tended to cower as if the gods were coming for them. Everyone knew that the Stormborn were the children of the gods. It wasn't bloody likely the gods would be coming for them.

Up the path, a quick hop onto a protruding rock, off to the left, and then she was in her den, where she turned around and stuck her head out to help Inari figure out where to go, in case she hadn't been following too closely. To help, sort of, she also called, "In here!"

After calling out to Inari Dis ducked out of the way and began hastily to clear space. Her den was dark and hardly large, since she lived alone and had no plans to begin a family, but there was space for two without having to climb over one another. Even with all her accumulated stuff. Which she hadn't gotten a chance to rearrange before having guests. Dammit. Oh well.

Light Atago

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

Light Atago

Lupine Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:46 pm
While her mind wandered, the storm and Dis both moved further from the shoreline and deeper inland. Inari's paws followed, but her mind was truly still on their conversation. So it wouldn't be surprising to most lions that one would need to be paying attention when the lioness you're following makes a turn. Inari, however, took a moment, screeching to a stop as soon as she realized she missed Dis' turn. She turned around and scanned everywhere before hearing her call. Luckily, she hadn't been spaced out for too long, apparently.

She was glad not to have missed it by much. And was she glad to be at Dis' and not her own den! Clutter was no stranger to her; in fact, she personally had never seen what all the fuss was for arranging things. She felt perfectly at home. Though, you could tell she was amazed by the sheer volume of treasures Dis had. It was at this point that Inari decided beyond all doubt: this lioness was living her dream.

"Your den is amazing," she said, eyes drinking in one last sip of what a reaver's den looked like before turning back to the brown lioness. "What's your favorite thing in here?" She asked, hoping for an item with a glorious story attached.

Princess Feylin
I'm sorry for the wait- I am a terrible person. D8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:04 pm
"Thank you."

Dis looked around at her cluttered den and grinned. She tried to make it a modest grin, but mostly it was just pleased. She liked her den the way it was, mostly. Oh, it wasn't perfect, but it was certainly full of interesting things that she had either fought or traded for, and she was proud of them. The fact that she had taken to rearranging them spoke less of dissatisfaction with the things themselves than the fact she had little else to do with her time.

"I suppose my favorite thing in here would be my batwing cloak. I had to hunt down so many bats to make it. But it was a fun project." She'd spent two summers hunting down all the bats, and most of the things she'd acquired from vikings had gone to paying the crafter who had made the cloak for those two years, but it had been worth it. "I can dig it out if you like."

She'd need it soon anyway, if they were coming into the stormy season.
Jovi of Shadows
No worries.

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

Light Atago

Lupine Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:02 pm
"A bat wing cloak?" Inari asked, curiosity written shamelessly across her face. The green lioness had never been one to hide emotions, or even attempt it. Hunting bats itself sounded like an easy task- jump and snatch when they flew low. But doing so without damaging their wings, that seemed like it took a great degree of control, precision. In Inari's mind, Dis was already a role model; someone to learn from and copy what elements she could integrate into herself.

"That must have been a very touchy job, keeping the wings in good shape. You must be very precise in your strikes," she said, of course turning her thoughts back to how one would use the skills in a fight. Inari's precision wasn't bad, but she always feared it wasn't good enough. She always aimed for a general, not specific area. Perhaps that was a sloppy mistake on her part, she would keep it in mind for her next training sessions.

"I'd love to see it," she said, a smirk coming to her muzzle. "It must look amazing."

Princess_Feylin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:16 am
"Let me fetch it."

Dis preened internally. She was not used to people being interested in or impressed by her viking stories. Mostly she was regarded with disapproval or insulted when she spoke of her raiding history. It was glorious to have someone listen to her without judging her harshly for going into the family business.

"It started off as a challenge, really," Dis explained as she rummaged. "My brothers said they'd take me viking with them if I could catch ten bats without damaging their wings. I suspect they just enjoyed watching me hop around trying to catch the bats, but I did it anyway, and then I had all these dead bats, which are really bad eating."

"Aha!" The skeleton she had used to display it had collapsed, as it often did because it was held together with sap for the most part. She hoped none of the sap had gotten on the cloak. "Here we go."

She drew the cloak out and laid it on the ground in front of Inari, inspecting it critically for evidence of sap. There had to be a better way to keep that skeleton together. She'd take it up with a crafter when the weather improved, if she remembered.

Jovi of Shadows
I'm sorry it took me so long to reply to this. Life's been a bit mad lately.

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

Light Atago

Lupine Loiterer

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:18 am
Inari chuckled at the story. She had not had brothers, only a prissy half-sister with whom she was not impressed. She wished in a way she had had a brother to spar with and beat up, but alas. "Must have been entertaining to watch for them, but it must have been difficult for you, not damaging the wings," Inari said. She could not imagine how hard it would be to catch bats that way- she would definitely snag the wings and rip them.

They were put together elegantly with that slight shine bat wings had naturally. It was an edgy looking cloak, its wearer would look a bit more threatening, she thought, than just in pure fur. The look on her face said all she would need to- it was awesome, but she spoke up just the same. "This is amazing! Definitely worth the effort."

These were the sorts of things Reavers got to have and easily keep, she thought as she considered the treasures in Dis' den. She had to get there herself…

Outside the rain was letting up, finally. Inari didn't want to intrude on the lioness more than she already had and overstay her welcome. "Seems like the weather's letting up. I don't want to be a bother- I appreciate the hospitality," she said honestly to Dis. Perhaps she had made a friend? Either way, with a nod, Inari took off from Dis' place, keeping in mind to keep up with her in the future.

Princess_Feylin
fin

[IC] Myrsky Syntynyt Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces