Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pokemon's Gambit Order

Back to Guilds

Prove your hidden skills. Hide the opposition and attack in the weak. Bring in the Gambit. 

Tags: Pokemon, Active, Trading, Trainer, Competitive Battle 

Reply The Gambit Corner
Ideas for pokebuilds

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mohenjo Kiritomi

Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:40 pm
So we all build teams in our minds before going out and battling, but how about HOW those pokemon are built? After all, this game is highly customizable- Smogon didn't invent the builds, they just recorded them.

Lately, I've been playtesting a couple nontraditional ideas for pokes, both high-tier and lower. Thought we all could benefit from brainstorming together.

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Protean
Naive (252 Spd, 252 Atk, 8 SpA)
Water Shuriken
Shadow Sneak
Dark Pulse/Night Slash
U-Turn

This guy is not only a solid revenge killer, but outright destroys priority-dependant pokes. This guy is THE Talonflame assassin. Not even Gale Wings can touch him, which is very important. You go for the speed for the speed tie- if the Talonflame is at all behind you, you win. Talonflame has 71 base defense, and you chew through that easily. Each hit can crit.

However, this guy also shuts down Archeops/Aerodactyl- anyone who is very, very squishy. He even can put some fear into an Aegislash, used right. Shadow Sneak allows him to assassinate ghosts and psychics that would otherwise outspeed him.

Night Slash/Dark Pulse are for some strong dark damage, but I'm debating running Extrasensory instead, because Ghost already wipes out the things Dark does. Even so, Dark Pulse/Night Slash are pretty good damage that hit a large portion of OU/UU.

U-Turn gives amazing coverage and helps the Ninja get back home in one piece.

Heliolisk @ Red Card (definitely thinking of swapping this for Air Balloon)
Dry Skin, Timid (252 spe, 252 SpA, 8 HP)
Thunderbolt
Glare
Focus Blast
Surf

While I thought about Specs first, I fell in love with the 'Lisk's speed comboed with the madness that is Glare. Glare's biggest flaw is that it often comes too late, but here, Glare even overtakes T-Wave/Nuzzle in usefulness for one reason: It hits everything (that isn't named Espeon or Xatu). Speed + Paralyzing power? Sounds like a formula for a monster.
T-bolt, no need for explanation there- but this guy REALLY wrecks a rain team. If Sand Veil weren't banned, I'd want this guy on a sand team forever. He's too good.
Glare- you've heard it, but I love this move. It's so powerful. 100% accuracy. Cripples speed-dependent pokes, and isn't stopped by typing. Goobai Garchomp. Gooooobai Excadrill.
Focus Blast- With a mammoth Sp.Attack stat, the Lisk can absolutely burst things down with this- with a crit even potentially OHKOing a physically defensive Ferrothorn. 2HKO is a lot more common though. Even so, this thing chews through a LOT.
Surf- The coverage move that makes swapping a ground type in a nightmare. Lisk laughs at counterswaps in contempt. CONTEMPT.

Alternatively, on a Sun Team, this guy is a monster. He WILL murder everything, but will die a little every turn.

I'm always open to thoughts and opinions. owo  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:21 pm
I've made a few builds for gen 6, I don't even know what the standard sets are at this point LOL. I'm actually a bit underwhelmed with the potential of most of the 6 gen pokemon so the team I made only had 4 from Kalos.

Klefki@Lightclay
Impish
Prankster
252HP/252Def/4SDef
Reflect
Light Screen
Thunder Wave
Spikes

Basically a lead set, though it can set up on any clean switch. Dual screens to boost survivability for my team. T-wave to cripple speed sweepers, though toxic can work just as well to cripple Walls, and Spikes to increase OHKO/2HKO opportunities as well as discourage switches. Prankster guarantees at least one move getting off, usually Reflect or Light Screen depending on the opponents lead pokemon. With it's typing it's got a plethora of opportunities to switch in. The only problem with this set is that you lose a lot of momentum initially. But just about any other set that klefki can pull off someone can pull off better.

Aegislash@Leftovers
Brave (0 speed IV)
Stance Change
4HP/252Atk/4Def
King's Shield
Sacred Sword
Shadow Ball
Iron Head

A somewhat standard set. I think this set works better than the SD or Autotomize sets. With this set you switch in on anything physical and cripple it with King's Shield. The three attacking moves hit everything for at least neutral IIRC. Shadow Ball is better than shadow sneak IMO because it takes care of opposing Aegislashes without the threat of dropping it's own attack stat. You want as low a speed possible to always be in shield form when taking an attack. Alternating between KS and an attack move gives 2 turns of Lefties recovery. And also drains PP acting as psuedo-pressure.

On a side note, I've paired this with hydreigon offensively creating a great offensive core I've dubbed "Hydraslash" Hydreigon resists fire, and is immune to ground barring mold breaker, while Aegislash is immune to fighting and resists both ice and dragon and double resists bug.

Hawlucha@Focus Sash
Adamant/Jolly
Unburden
4HP/252Atk/252Spe
Swords Dance
Acrobat
Hi-Jump Kick
Poison Jab

A clean switch guarantees swords dance and it's frailty should get focus sash to be used activating unburden, effectively giving Hawlucha +2 in speed and attack. Acrobat becomes a base 110 STAB attack after Focus sash is burned off. HJK for secondary stab and Poison Jab to hit Fairy types that may be a threat. Nothing too innovative here, just a standard offensive sweeper, but I know a lot of people aren't too thrilled with the potential of this pokemon so I thought I'd give it a try and see for myself how effective it can be.

I've also made a somewhat standard Protean Greninja, but went special running Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Grass Knot and U-turn. A little more invested into attack to give U-Turn some bite, and Life orb to balance out the power drop.  

L05t 50ul
Crew

Mohenjo Kiritomi

Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:44 pm
Looking at your Klefki, I like what you have for the most part, but maybe you'd like to consider Foul Play over Spikes? I know hazards are awesome (love my rocks), but a Magnet pulled/Arena Trapped Klefki is death fodder.

Your Aegislash gives me some ideas for my own. I was gonna go for a more physical one- I'm dying to get Shadow Sneak though. I need priority desperately. That might be me just needing to get a Greninja on the team, though. Otherwise, yeah, that looks devastating.

Hawlucha- I love that bird. A lot. Surprised you don't run Flying Press though. Double STAB? Yeah, it gets ignored by ghosts, but so does HJK, and in most scenarios, it's just a damage multiplier. Poison Jab, though. Good call.

Life Orb's not a bad idea. I like it.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:23 pm
Mohenjo Kiritomi

Battled a random with klefki, aegislash, hydreigon, hawlucha, greninja and reuniclus, first time won 3-0, I wasn't used to the synergy and prediction of the team so I lost a couple of my pokemon due to stupid mistakes, he wanted to battle again (I'm assuming to get my FS) and was doing a lot better, I was winning 5-1 before he rage quit XD.  

L05t 50ul
Crew

Mohenjo Kiritomi

Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:51 pm
L05t 50ul
Mohenjo Kiritomi

Battled a random with klefki, aegislash, hydreigon, hawlucha, greninja and reuniclus, first time won 3-0, I wasn't used to the synergy and prediction of the team so I lost a couple of my pokemon due to stupid mistakes, he wanted to battle again (I'm assuming to get my FS) and was doing a lot better, I was winning 5-1 before he rage quit XD.

I love it when that happens.
Made someone ragequit with my Tentacruel. Thinking I need to rename her to "Air Man" because he just couldn't beat her.  
The Gambit Corner

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games