7,000 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:39 am
Deathgod of Legend
TheTicketMan
If I decide to buy pokemon at all it would be X for two reasons

1. Audibly, Pokemon X sounds cool. Pokemon Y just sounds awkward.
2. If they're making the reference I think they are, then I definitely want Pokemon X because I am attracted to those of the XX Chromosome set ;D as opposed to those attracted to XY

While X and Y seem likely... Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire never had anything to do with rubies or sapphires...
It's just to distinguish the two and if they follow suit, we may see a Pokemon Z.

Yes the titles to distinguish the two games, but they also point out what the pokemon on the cover make reference to(hence the names).
Red(Fire Red), Blue, and Leaf Green: Charizard isn't red, but the color red is generally associated with fire. Blastoise IS blue, and that color is generally associated with water. Venusaur is green, as are most plants.
Yellow: Pikachu, nuff said.
Crystal: Suicune has crystal-like designs on it, and is an ice type(ice can take a crystal form).
Ruby, Saphire, and Emerald: Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza are those colors(or pretty close for those that argue they aren't)
Diamond and Pearl: Palkia and Dialga have stones on their bodies very similar to the title reference.
Black and White: way too obvious to describe.
X and Y: yes, the legendy pokemon do bear a resemblance to the letters. I personally guessed the joke reference of the chromosomes. But it could just as easily be a simple alphabet reference.
Yes I did leave a few out, those were the ones that I didn't understand.

TL;DR?: In a nutshell, yes they did...  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:20 am
It's X and Y as in XYZ, or the 3 axes of movement.

But the legendaries themselves are based on norse mythology. Specifically Yggdrasil, or the tree of life.

The letters do match all their body shapes, though. It's loaded with "meaning."  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:21 am
Xerneas represents eternity and Yveltal represents destruction which also correlates with male and female chromosomes.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:05 pm
i still bet they'll do a Z version, a lot of new stuff has been added and im sure they probably had more but couldn't do it all.

i hope if they ever think of doing 3 games for one gen though they'll do it right and put them all out on the same day.  

Xilo The Odd

DeathlyGreed

King Cat

12,725 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:15 pm
Xilo The Odd
i still bet they'll do a Z version, a lot of new stuff has been added and im sure they probably had more but couldn't do it all.

i hope if they ever think of doing 3 games for one gen though they'll do it right and put them all out on the same day.

With what? The "bonus kick a** edition"?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:33 pm
There's no guarantee that they had more. There was never a grey version. Maybe they're just trying to get it right the first time from now on. I personally only want to have to buy one version of each game, so I hope so.

Also I don't really get how X and Y are referencing XX and XY chromosomes exactly. I can't find any sex-related connections beyond the letters themselves, aside from the fact that "Xerneas" is an anagram of "Serena" (female trainer's default name) with an X added. Still, the male character's default name is Calem, so that doesn't seem important.  

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:37 pm
Black and white 2 were about kyurem, which kinda made them the grey version people anticipated. They reused the assets from earlier, like any other third game would have.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:57 pm
TheTicketMan
Deathgod of Legend
TheTicketMan

2. If they're making the reference I think they are, then I definitely want Pokemon X because I am attracted to those of the XX Chromosome set ;D as opposed to those attracted to XY

While X and Y seem likely... Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire never had anything to do with rubies or sapphires...
It's just to distinguish the two and if they follow suit, we may see a Pokemon Z.

Yes the titles to distinguish the two games, but they also point out what the pokemon on the cover make reference to(hence the names).
Red(Fire Red), Blue, and Leaf Green: Charizard isn't red, but the color red is generally associated with fire. Blastoise IS blue, and that color is generally associated with water. Venusaur is green, as are most plants.
Crystal: Suicune has crystal-like designs on it, and is an ice type(ice can take a crystal form).
Ruby, Saphire, and Emerald: Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza are those colors(or pretty close for those that argue they aren't)
Diamond and Pearl: Palkia and Dialga have stones on their bodies very similar to the title reference.
X and Y: yes, the legendy pokemon do bear a resemblance to the letters. I personally guessed the joke reference of the chromosomes. But it could just as easily be a simple alphabet reference.

Holy s**t. Really? The titles resembled the colors of Pokemon? s**t... I don't supposed these titles refer to the fact that Yveltal looks like a Y and the other looks like an X but wait... Just like Ruby and Sapphire had nothing to do with Rubies or Sapphires do you think maybe X and Y have nothing to do with chromosomes, but rather the shape in parallel to colors?
You're ********' dense.

But. Fish says it's reference to Norse mythology which I can agree with, Yggdrasil is the world tree, in reference to the X legendary, Vidofnir is a bird that sits atop the world tree, not necessarily a bringer of destruction but it could reference Yvetal and Niddhoggr is a wyrm that gnaws on the roots of the world tree, the Z legendary.
They do look somewhat alike in appearance however there is no Ratatosk, which was a squirrel that was rumored to run up and down Yggdrasil being the go-between for Vidofnir and Niddhoggr.

But uh... I seriously don't see any chromosome reference other than "X" and "Y" but those could mean anything.  

DeathlyGreed

King Cat

12,725 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:59 pm
i m not feesh  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:08 pm
[Kegan]
i m not feesh

Whoever said it could refer to Norse mythology.
That actually sounds like something I could accept.
X, Yggdrasil's branches. (Yggdrasil)
Y, Vidofnir
Z, Niddhoggr, I mean, it really does kinda look like a wyrm.  

DeathlyGreed

King Cat

12,725 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:14 pm
Xerneas could represent the tree, but I figured it represented the stags that eat from its branches.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:23 pm
[Kegan]
Xerneas could represent the tree, but I figured it represented the stags that eat from its branches.

That's true but Xerneas in-game purpose is like, life and junk.  

DeathlyGreed

King Cat

12,725 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TheTicketMan

Friendly Businessman

7,000 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:16 am
Deathgod of Legend
TheTicketMan
Deathgod of Legend
TheTicketMan

Holy s**t. Really? The titles resembled the colors of Pokemon? s**t... I don't supposed these titles refer to the fact that Yveltal looks like a Y and the other looks like an X but wait... Just like Ruby and Sapphire had nothing to do with Rubies or Sapphires do you think maybe X and Y have nothing to do with chromosomes, but rather the shape in parallel to colors?
You're ********' dense.

But. Fish says it's reference to Norse mythology which I can agree with, Yggdrasil is the world tree, in reference to the X legendary, Vidofnir is a bird that sits atop the world tree, not necessarily a bringer of destruction but it could reference Yvetal and Niddhoggr is a wyrm that gnaws on the roots of the world tree, the Z legendary.
They do look somewhat alike in appearance however there is no Ratatosk, which was a squirrel that was rumored to run up and down Yggdrasil being the go-between for Vidofnir and Niddhoggr.

But uh... I seriously don't see any chromosome reference other than "X" and "Y" but those could mean anything.

You call me dense and then agree with me? Lol alrighty then.
to clarify for you: by the mere fact that the colors do match those of the stones automatically makes them have "something to do" with them. No, rubies and saphires were not a part of the series. It is because they do not relate DIRECTLY, it is a REFERENCE(hence, "something to do" with them). If I were to go by your thought process about it, then of course NONE of the pokemon titles have anything to do at all with the pokemon in any way. When I mentioned the X and Y chromosome reference I also stated that it was a "joke" reference, which was my perspective of some chuckle-worthy humor. It's anyone's game on what the X and Y titles are officially supposed to be directly related to. But as far as I can remember, no one ever spelled out what it's supposed to be. They just leave it up to your imagination.

Two major notes here:
1. I never insulted you once in my previous post, but of course due to your quickness to insult me unprovoked I doubt that will bear any significance in your mind. My guess is, it's one of those "he'll never see me in real life" comfort things that causes most to become hostile for no reason on the internet.
2. I know nothing about Norse Mythology, have never had to access information on it, and am not really concerned about looking it up because it isn't something I'm interested in or need to know. But it is interesting though.

So, are we going to continue this conversation like men or do you have more unnecessary insults to throw at me?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:38 am
Here, throw dis: 💩  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

old jazzy

Amorous Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:48 am
[Kegan]
Black and white 2 were about kyurem, which kinda made them the grey version people anticipated. They reused the assets from earlier, like any other third game would have.

True, but they were meant as sequels and had a different story and everything. It wasn't just the exact same game with a couple little changes that don't make it worth getting again, in my opinion.

Oh god I hope they don't make a new game about freaking Zygarde. That would probably be pretty lame.

also THEY ARE COPYING SMT BY REFERENCING NORSE MYTHOLOGY!!111!  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff