[PRP] Refuge (Nyota/Unyezi)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Excited Apathy

Obsessive Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:03 pm
User ImageNyota'shuti's steps dragged as she walked away from the scene of the...coronation. Great Lion, but it tasted bitter to let Shangyue be crowned, but the cold hard truth was that she couldn't stop him alone. At least she didn't have to watch it. At least, she assumed she didn't. Nobody had forced her to go back yet, so she kept walking. Not back to her den, though. Not yet.

She had someone she needed to talk to, first.

And so it was that she stood in the entrance to the den she knew her parents inhabited, exhaustion and heartsickness written into everything from the very way she stood to the look in her eyes. Blood covered her paws, still oozed sluggishly from the wounds Halili had left on her back, and had begun to dry into a crust on her face. She hurt in more ways than one, and she wanted her mom and dad.

"Dad?" The word came out a hoarse, barely-audible croak, and the lioness paused to cough before speaking again. This time, her voice sounded little better--but it could be heard, at least. "Mom? Dad?"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:26 pm
User Image

Unyezi didn't trust himself to attend Shangyue's coronation, though his decision to stay behind had resulted in a small argument. But he stayed behind to wait out the night, brooding on his oversight that had allowed this to happen, mourning his lost sister, friend and niece. His den was close to the royal dens, as all slave dens were, and so to the ceremony but the commotion of the small rebellion had not reached his ears. Lost in thought, he didn't notice the slow, audible approach of his daughter-- but her voice got his attention immediately. Something was wrong.

"Nyota?" he called back, getting to his feet and coming out of the den to be greeted by a horrific sight. Though he loved all of his children, his daughters each had a special place in his heart, though for varying reasons. Now Nyota was the only one left, it seemed to amplify his concern for her. And here she was, injured, covered in blood, looking exhausted. He couldn't have spoken if he tried, all he could do was sit back down and wait for some kind of explanation.

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

Excited Apathy

Obsessive Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:11 pm
Nyota's eyes--oh, those tired eyes--sought out her father's. By some small miracle, Halili's claws had missed them both. The lioness could almost regret that, for it hurt terribly to see the shock on her father's face at her present state. She slumped, leaning against the entrance to the den as though it were the only thing holding her up. Maybe it was. She didn't know. She swallowed hard.

"I...Meshach and Andama tried to...rally the pride...against Shangyue." She paused every few words, having difficulty piecing them, or her thoughts, together. Her eyes flicked away, staring off at nothing as she let out a long breath. "It didn't...go well."

With a small burst of energy, she growled. "They--all of them but Uchanjaa--they just watched."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:40 pm
Stunned silence was the only response, it took a great deal of time to process what was before him and what the explanation was. He was mildly surprised that anybody had tried to rise up at this point, though truthfully he had been expecting something.. perhaps that was part of why he couldn't bear to attend the ceremony tonight, it would not have ended well for him. The pride's apparent indifference was similar, surprising but not. He sighed, frowning at Nyota as she looked ready to topple over.

"Are you alright?" he said finally, his voice shaky. It was best to focus on her physical well-being for now, he looked her up and down and wished he knew more about healing and plants, wished there was a way to erase the pain and the scars and the blood..

Had anybody else been killed? He was afraid to ask.

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

Excited Apathy

Obsessive Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:35 pm
Okay?

No, she wasn't okay. Her life had been shaken yet another time, and the pride she'd lived her entire life in was turning into something she wasn't sure she recognized. Before tonight, she would have sworn up and down that there were far more brave lions than she had seen tonight. Instead...she closed her eyes, refusing to finish the thought. She wasn't about to give up on her pride, her home, just yet.

"Orion...Halili...they fought us." Her voice was tight, strained. "And others he...duped. They...subdued...Uchanjaa and I. ...Meshach and Andama fled." Her gaze sharpened. "And now he's...crowning himself like it never happened."

Her hind legs finally gave up the fight to hold herself up, and she sat heavily. "Like we were...an annoyance."

And nothing more.

"He's wrong." Her eyes sought Unyezi's again, and this time there was iron in them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:47 pm
Unyezi took a deep breath almost immediately after asking his question, seeing her answer in her eyes. His eyes widened ever so slightly when she implicated Orion and Halili in the attack. Orion had come to him early, been deeply affected by all of this, there was no way he was truly on Shangyue's side. He already knew he was a royal guard but neither had been brave enough to discuss it yet.

"I'm certain that Orion and Halili did not intend to cause harm, I'm surprised to hear Orion was fighting at all," he said, though his tone was lacking the confidence he truly had in his grandson. His voice sounded almost hollow. He opened his mouth to continue but he flinched and fell silent when Nyota finally collapsed into a sitting position.

"You're right," he said finally, ever frowning, "But he's the king and he's exploited the one group with something to gain from taking an active interest in who has the crown. You have to be more careful than this."

It seemed he wasn't going to be able to help but scold her, however mildly. Everything else was bad enough, Nyota carelessly putting herself in danger wasn't acceptable. To her credit, she chose a worthy cause.

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

Excited Apathy

Obsessive Hoarder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:20 am
"Halili did this," Nyota hissed before she could help herself, bringing a paw up to the wounds on her face. With her recent expressions breaking open the crust in places, they had begun seeping blood again. She forced her eyes closed, made herself take a deep breath and rein herself in. A pained expression flickered across her face as Unyezi reminded her that Shangyue was the king. As if I could forget.

She sat in silence for a moment, searching for thoughts that kept slipping away into the recesses of her weary mind. "Careful," she repeated, saying the word as though it were foreign to her. Slowly, she lowered herself to the ground before her forelegs got a chance to abandon her as well. A heavy sigh followed. "I hope...joining the guards...the real ones...counts."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:43 pm
Nyota had to know she was not talking to the right lion to get a rise out of in this, it was past time for overreacting in a way that might protect her from harm and now staying calm and thoughtful was all that would help and he could see that. He hated thinking that Halili was the one responsible for these injuries and he made a mental note to stop avoiding Orion and talk about what happened.. but there were more urgent issues than turning against your own family.

He wanted to stop staring at her injuries but it was impossible. It was apparent that even one move different could have changed the consequences greatly, the fact her face was so marked up was the clearest sign of that.

Then she implied she now intended to join the guards and Unyezi started. Normally he might have thought this was a good thing but all things considered right now, it just didn't seem right.

"That is a good way to make it easy for them to keep an eye on you," he said, frowning, "Though it could help make wandering around seem les suspicious, too, I guess. Just.. be careful."

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

Excited Apathy

Obsessive Hoarder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:34 pm
Nyota's muzzle twisted in a grimace before she winced as it pulled at the cuts. "As if I can avoid...being watched after tonight. I...intend to...know how to fight." For the next time, she left unsaid. There would be a next time. There had to be. "If his...tools...stay out of my way...let him think what he wants."

Another sigh, as she rested her head on her paws. "I just...I'm tired of losing family, dad." Her voice was raw with pain, and she had to pause for several moments before she continued. "I hate...that he's turned the pride...against itself. It has to stop."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:47 am
What she didn't say now didn't matter, her meaning was clear in what she did say and Unyezi could only see it ending badly at this point. He didn't have it in him to argue with her, though, he knew her well enough to know he was only going to make things worse. She would definitely be under surveillance but there were ways to make it easier and she didn't seem to care at all.

"Wait and see what happens," he said sadly, his voice carefully decreasing in volume as if he suddenly remembered they could be overheard, "We may yet have some peace now that Shangyue has what he wants. We may have time."

Meshach and Andama didn't act immediately but that seemed to be motivated only by the need to wait for a moment of ceremonial significance. If they had acted alone, relying on the pride rallying with them, they did not give themselves time to plan, only time to wait for the moment with the most potential impact. Through all the grief and pain Shangyue was causing, if they could just take their time.. perhaps they would have a chance.

Ecavi

Crew

Magical Apprentice

[IC] Mwezi'Johari Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas