Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply [IC] Myrsky Syntynyt Lands [IC]
[PRP] New sources (Bifrost, Uchafu Maua)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:06 pm
User ImageIt might look as if Bifrost was just loitering in the area where the thralls brought in fresh kills, but he was actually working. It was part of his job to stay updated with the latest gossip, and thralls were an excellent source of the latest news. He searched the crowd for Udongo, one of his better sources, but apparently she'd been claimed by a freeborn and didn't come here as often anymore. Bifrost had heard that a female freeborn had claimed her, but the other thralls hadn't been able to give much more information than that. Some said that the other female was related to Udongo while others had more imaginative theories as to why she'd been claimed. It was a pity, whatever the reason... He'd need to find a new reliable source of gossip eventually.

He hummed a tune, going over the song he had prepared for the next homecoming. It was a pretty generic song about the brave Warlord and his dutiful wife. He needed to figure out a way to make it sound better. Many of the bards would sing Njal's praise, and he wanted his song to stand out. Unfortunately he did better with rude and disrespectful songs... But now was not the time to test the Warlord's sense of humor.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:28 pm
User Image

Uchafu did her best to keep her head down. She wasn't terribly poorly treated - she behaved, did as she was bid, and didn't try to flee from her life as a thrall. Of course it hadn't been anything like what she'd wanted her life to end up like, but that was that. A rather beastly lion had come across her while 'reaving' and claimed her for his own. He'd dragged her back here, then immediately forgotten her, it seemed. Such a pity. She'd had to learn the hard way what the rules were, and mean as he was, his face had been the only one she'd known.

She was busily cleaning the common thrall area when Bifrost wandered by. His humming made her ears perk up, but she didn't dare raise her eyes. Stinging slaps had been the harsh reminders not to dare that with some of the pride's more firm-pawed members. Still...she would discreetly enjoy his tune while he lingered near and she did her chores. She even dared to smile the tiniest bit - how could someone who hummed such a nice song be anything but nice as well?

Annchen

ShinosBee

Nerd

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:28 pm
ShinosBee

Bifrost kept humming his tune, trying to see if he could make the music more interesting. The words in the song wouldn't be, at this rate. Perhaps he should sing about the fight when the Warlord won his title again. It had been a while since last Breytast Vindar, so he couldn't decide if it would be refreshing to bring it up again, or if it would sound as if he was running out of ideas. He ended his humming with a little huff and looked around for Udongo again. She wasn't there, but a new thrall was tidying up in the area.

"You there," he called, "Blue eyed thrall. Get over here for a while."

Newly joined freeborn were sometimes confused about the concept of thralls and how to tell them from other freeborn, but Bifrost had never understood that confusion. It was so easy to tell! A thrall looked like a thrall, period. The defiant ones looked like cocky thralls, and not like freeborn. And even the shyest freeborn looked like a freeborn to him. Perhaps he was just way better than average at reading people, but he had never heard other born-in Stormborn complain about being confused either.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:45 pm
Annchen

Uchafu cringed when the humming ended and a snap demand for her attention came from the blue lion instead. She hastily abandoned what she was doing to trot meekly to his side. Someone might berate her later for leaving the stony porch half swept, but he might discipline her now if she dawdled in responding. She knew that well enough.

"Y-yes sir? Do you need something?" Her voice wavered but then was strong. Loud enough to be heard at least, and no mumble. Some freeborn didn't like having to ask twice (or listen twice for that matter) but she was careful not to raise her gaze. Being audible was different from being willful. As much as she did not like this life...it was better than the alternative of a swift drop and a sudden stop from the pride's seaside cliffs.

ShinosBee

Nerd

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:00 am
ShinosBee

"I don't think I've met you before," he said, "What's your name, thrall?"

Bifrost took pride in knowing many names, and despite the somewhat disposable nature of thralls he'd never regretted learning ones name. It wasn't very taxing for him to remember one more name, and it could build trust and open up unforeseen opportunities. A good memory was a valuable asset to a bard, and a nosy disposition even more so. The blue pelted bard was genuinely curious and liked talking to others, thralls included, but some Stormborn would never understand that...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:32 pm
Annchen

"...Uchafu, sir," She stammered out after a moment. Usually things were simply demanded of her, and those things weren't her name. You didn't need to know a thrall's name to get their attention. She had grown quite used to being called 'get over here', 'hey, you', 'brown one', and even just 'thrall'. Few bothered to learn who she was, because to them she wasn't really a person. It did make her feel a bit better about the blue fellow eying her now, but she was still reserved. "And I don't think so either." That she would have remembered went unsaid.

After a beat or two of silence in which he made no demands of her she began to fidget. She didn't want to be caught slacking, but if he was keeping her here for some reason would it really be called that? She wanted no trouble, simply to keep her head down and her paws busy. "Uhm. Was there...a way I could help you?" She asked again, all uncertainty and (forced) eagerness to please.

ShinosBee

Nerd

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 am
ShinosBee

"Uchafu," he said, "Does it have any special meaning?"

It was interesting to hear the strange meanings foreign names could have. There were so many different languages and dialects out there... Bifrost had a good grasp on the old Stormborn language, obviously, and he took pride in speaking common well too. Words were tools and weapons to be used, and he loved to add to his arsenal.

"You're helping me right now," he said and smiled, "I need a muse to talk to from time to time, to keep my mind sharp..."

She must have met some of the more heavy pawed Stormborn recently, or she might just be naturally timid. Many thralls were, after all. If they had been strong and assertive they would not have been taken. And if someone, somehow was taken as a thrall despite decent warrior instincts there were always the Breytast Vindar. Worthy ones could always be freed.

"I'm Bifrost the bard," he added as an afterthought, "I'm named for the bridge in the sky."  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:08 pm
Annchen

The thrall cringed a bit at his question. "Dirt," She half mumbled under her breath. Her full name meant Dirt Flower, or Brown Flower, or Flower-of-the-Earth, but just Dirt seemed appropriate for her now. Not all, but some of the lions here seemed to think of her as such. It was true most of her interaction had been with reavers, the more firm-pawed and quick to discipline.

Not a bard though. They made songs, right? Dimly she thought that maybe someone who made songs, made people happy and helped celebrate things...that person couldn't be too bad right? Maybe. He hadn't done anything cruel yet though, and she blinked wide eyes up at him. A sky-bridge? "I've never heard of a bridge in the sky," She offered meekly, glancing up. The only thing remotely bridge-like she'd seen was a rainbow. Was that it? Hmm...he did have an oddly multi-color tail...

She flinched and looked back at him, relieved to find him not angry with her wandering train of thought. "So you just want me to...talk to you? That's it?" She could do that. "What about...?" Maybe he was naturally charming, or maybe it was just as he compared to the other lions around the pride, but the more she considered the bard the less likely to harm her he seemed. "I...I think I can do that. I can try at least." It was certainly better than cleaning dens.

ShinosBee

Nerd

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:10 am
ShinosBee

"Interesting," he said, "In old Stormborn you might have been named Jord like my great grandmother."

She might also have been named "Smuts", since the common word dirt could actually be translated to several different words. But why not go for the more poetic version? Bifrost saw no need to keep a personal thrall, but if he ever decided to get one he'd name it something nice. Unless it already had a pleasant sounding name of course. No need to fix something that wasn't broken.

"It's the bridge the Gods use for traveling to the mortal realm," he explained, "You can see it shimmering among the stars on clear nights, and sometimes after rain."

It had always been one of his favorite tales, the one about his name and the bridge in the sky. He wouldn't say it was the only reason he decided to become a bard, but it was certainly one of the puzzle pieces.

"Good," he said and smiled at her, "You see, thralls see and hear other things than freeborn lions do. The change of perspective is refreshing."  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:05 am
Annchen

Oh...that was..different. Usually being named (partially) 'dirt' wasn't something that really made the brown lioness...happy. There wasn't much nice about being called dirt if you asked her. Okay so her full name DID mean 'flower from the dirt' which was a bit better, but still. His small compliment - or really, simply his lack of disdain - warmed her towards him greatly. She batted her lids at him as he explained his own name. "The God's bridge?" She'd never known rainbows or the dancing lights were the same thing, or that either was a magical bridge! It was ever so much more nice sounding than 'dirt'.

"Oh, I don't know about that," She demurred. "I...I try to keep my head down. Out of trouble." But she wanted to be of use to this god-bridge lion...he was so nice to her! "I can try though. Uh, was there anything you wanted to know about? I mean, that a thrall might know about?" She looked around helplessly for a moment or two before spotting a nice little shady nook amongst some nearby outcroppings of stone. She darted towards them (while trying to still look meek, and not at all like she was fleeing) and quickly batted away a few fallen leaves and some twigs, making a flat clean space for the male to sit or curl on if he wanted. They could chat, and he could be comfortable.

After all, while she was busy with him, no one else could bother her. And she'd much rather that than deal with anyone else!

ShinosBee

Nerd

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:16 pm
ShinosBee
Should we end it here or would you like to get another post in? Sorry about the delay! Bifrost is at 5 RPs with this one if you're still interested in our plot.

Bifrost liked what he was hearing. He'd most likely get better gossip from a thrall that knew to keep her head down. Freeborn knew not to blab around the rebellious and bothersome thralls, but they tended to relax around the meeker ones. The shy respectful ones, now those were the ones that would be forgotten when discussing juicy details.

"Let's just talk for now," he said and sprawled on the space she had so thoughtfully cleaned for him. Bifrost appreciated it since he really disliked getting dirt and twigs stuck to his fur. "Get to know each other."

He smiled at the female. It didn't hurt that she wasn't bad looking, for a thrall anyway. He'd enjoy getting to know her and gaining her trust. Sooner or later he was sure it would pay off. You never knew where inspiration could come from.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:09 am
Annchen
((Sorry, hey! Yeah I'm still for this plot if you are. Here's a good stop spot, it's enough posts, and I can try to hustle out the last RP Maua needs ASAP!))

ShinosBee

Nerd

[IC] Myrsky Syntynyt Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces