Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
A question about rituals/circles/altars -- I think?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:39 am
I have a question about (casting)circles.

Are there any alternatives that can be used for the elements? For example you use something else than candles and incense?

This is mainly because I have two cats. And it happened to me before that when I was busy with candles or other stuff that my cats get curious BIG TIME. (did I mention they get hyper and super playful too? I tried playing with them before I get started to the point they got tired. Didn't work) Last time one of them almost had his tail caught on fire, or they knock things over with their paws. And ever since I'm kind of afraid to use candles around them. And I don't want to lock them up either.

Also, my space is really small here, and it makes me feel like I'm having trouble breathing. (or maybe I'm using the wrong smell?) Right now during the summer it won't be a problem because I can open the windows. But during the winter it's just way too cold to open windows. gonk

And does anyone happen to have an example or an article on how to set up altars? ninja -- I searched the entire guild, I didn't see anything altar related, but I might have missed it!
Do your altars always have to be around? or can you just put them away too and use them again when needed?

Yea, I think that's about it!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:22 am
Its not uncommon for people to set up and use temporary shines and altars. And you don't always have to use candles or incense. My mom for some reason didn't trust me with them. So for a while I wasn't able to use them and there were no issues.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:19 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Its not uncommon for people to set up and use temporary shines and altars. And you don't always have to use candles or incense. My mom for some reason didn't trust me with them. So for a while I wasn't able to use them and there were no issues.

Was there something else she used instead of candles?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:03 pm
Dianda Panda
X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Was there something else she used instead of candles?

I think there was a bit of confusion. My mom doesn't do magic or is Pagan.

One of the questions you should ask yourself when it comes to something like this is why is this important? In my practice I technically don't need the candles. I use them though for my oil warmer. And the oil warmer is for offerings.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:36 am
For a long time, I kept all my things tucked away and just took them out when I needed them. Now, I have several areas in my house set up as shrines or altars, and both ways have worked fine for me.

There are lots of things you can use besides candles/incense for a circle. They actually make some pretty nice electric candles now, some look very much like regular candles, but run on batteries, so no fire to tempt kitties. You can also use symbols for each of the elements. You can pick different stones that represent each of the elements for you, things from nature, or even glass pieces with symbols painted on them.

If you want something for scent, you can float herbs in hot water, or use a scented air spray.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:44 am
Dianda Panda
Do your altars always have to be around? or can you just put them away too and use them again when needed?

I don't have enough space to have constant shrines or altars so once I'm finished using everything I usually just pack it all away into the cabinet I made. In a way, the cabinet itself is like a mini shrine as well as a storage space.
In my dorm at uni we're not allowed candles or incense, so I use electric candles and instead of incense I just put a few drops of essential oils into a bowl of warm water - the smell is much more delicate and not overpowering that way.  

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Nostalgic Scrapbooker 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:51 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Oh, My bad! I'm sorry! gonk

kyndryana3

I have electric candles. Never thought I'd could use those too. Thanks for the options!

iKillCaustic--uKillMe

Thanks for the tips! 4laugh  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:09 pm
Dianda Panda
Oh, My bad! I'm sorry! gonk

No its ok. It happens  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:03 am
I'm lucky - my cats have never been interested in being in my ritual space, and don't play with my tools or other things. But some cats are very drawn to rituals, and it's nigh impossible to keep them away without shutting them out. If you can't work on an elevated surface, at standing height, and don't want to keep them out, you're better off moving away from sources of open flame.

Electricity is part of fire, so electric candles can work. Oil warmers of any kind work in place of incense, and I found that a room spray also works well. When I lived at home still my house was scent and smoke free, so I used to just move the air with a feather.

There are lots of things you can use to represent the elements, and if you practice a method of circle casting that doesn't specifically require certain materials to purify the circle, it won't matter much.
Altar set-up and circle casting all depend on what tradition or path you're working from, and what the circle is for. It's very hard to tell you how to set up your altar without knowing what paradigm you work from, and shrines are terribly personal things that defy instructions.

Altars and shrines are different from one another, but people often use the terms interchangeably. Many people have what they call ‘altars’, when in fact what they have is a shrine they perform ritual at.

An altar is a working space - it may have a few things on it, but it’s usually used as a staging area more than anything. An altar is just a workspace. It usually serves as a place to rest all the working tools and other objects a ritual or spell needs, and as an open space to actually work in. When they are not in use they are typically mostly bare - some people may leave tools on the altar, but others choose to put them away when they are finished.

A shrine is a space that honours a particular being or concept, and holds all sorts of objects dedicated to whatever the shrine is in honour of. Usually there's a space for making offerings (maybe a dish or cup for food and drink, an incense burner), candles of whatever colour is favoured, images of the deity, and a collection of objects they like or consider sacred. Unlike an altar, a shrine is more of a meeting space, or a guest room. You're setting up a place where a spirit or Deity or energy can be comfortable and welcome in your home, and where you can make offerings or communicate directly with them. They can be simple or complex, and usually do not feature the open area an altar does. Shrines tend to need more 'care and feeding' - as in you need to keep them tidy and clean, and interact with them on a daily basis.

It’s not a hard and fast thing. Some altars are left in readiness for use by having tools and other things in place. Some shrines are simple, and relatively bare. Both can be portable, although in most cases shrines are fixed in location and content, and altars are more transient, set up only when needed and then taken down. Many people's altars are also shrines, in that they don't have space to keep the two separate. It's really up to the individual to decide what they need.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:13 am
Morgandria

There are lots of things you can use to represent the elements, and if you practice a method of circle casting that doesn't specifically require certain materials to purify the circle, it won't matter much.
Altar set-up and circle casting all depend on what tradition or path you're working from, and what the circle is for. It's very hard to tell you how to set up your altar without knowing what paradigm you work from, and shrines are terribly personal things that defy instructions.

I have no idea which path would 'fit' me the best. sweatdrop

Quote:
A shrine is a space that honours a particular being or concept, and holds all sorts of objects dedicated to whatever the shrine is in honour of. Usually there's a space for making offerings (maybe a dish or cup for food and drink, an incense burner), candles of whatever colour is favoured, images of the deity, and a collection of objects they like or consider sacred. Unlike an altar, a shrine is more of a meeting space, or a guest room. You're setting up a place where a spirit or Deity or energy can be comfortable and welcome in your home, and where you can make offerings or communicate directly with them. They can be simple or complex, and usually do not feature the open area an altar does. Shrines tend to need more 'care and feeding' - as in you need to keep them tidy and clean, and interact with them on a daily basis.

My parents in law (they are Chinese) have a shrine set up in their living room. Where they burn candles and insence and leave daily offerings like food. (oranges or other fruits). Together with a statue and a picture of the deity.

Thank you for the information.
Very appreciated!  

pompoennetje

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:20 am
Dianda Panda

If you're not on a specific path and are working from an eclectic point of view, you can pretty much set up your altar the way that makes the most sense to you. Put on it the things you need for your workings, and whatever decor appeals to you and inspires your rites. Solitary eclectic neo-paganism is pretty easy, in that way. You're the only one that can decide what's necessary for you.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:22 am
Morgandria
Dianda Panda

If you're not on a specific path and are working from an eclectic point of view, you can pretty much set up your altar the way that makes the most sense to you. Put on it the things you need for your workings, and whatever decor appeals to you and inspires your rites. Solitary eclectic neo-paganism is pretty easy, in that way. You're the only one that can decide what's necessary for you.

Solitary eclectic neo-paganism? Not that's a mouth full!
Thanks for the tip! Maybe I'll look some more into this eclectic neo-paganism later today. 3nodding  

pompoennetje

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Nostalgic Scrapbooker 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:25 am
Dianda Panda
iKillCaustic--uKillMe

Thanks for the tips! 4laugh

You're very welcome. smile  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games