Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
Livemocha People?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MrJamesXOXO

Lonely Prophet

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:54 am
Is there anyone who is a member of Livemocha here?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:37 pm
I am. I've had one since it was a newer site. I haven't used it in a while, though. All these creepy Iranian guys in their 30s kept bothering me.  

buggsie blue

MrJamesXOXO

Lonely Prophet

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:43 pm
buggsie blue
I am. I've had one since it was a newer site. I haven't used it in a while, though. All these creepy Iranian guys in their 30s kept bothering me.

cool. Although, for me people who are in their 20's or 40's and its kinda diverse. but mostly from Asia smile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:52 pm
I think it was because I was so young that the creeps came. I'll have to get on again and see if the creeps are still there.  

buggsie blue

Blade Lorenz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:20 pm
I'm was on livemocha. In fact, it's one of my most recommended language-learning sites. However, I am anything but active. Haven't been there for years. What put me off first was that when I moved to Germany and tried to continue my beginner German, the site picked up my German IP and then the whole site was in German, including the the explanation of the next step in the course. I sent them an e-mail, and they told me they couldn't do anything about it - it's a "server thing" (of course, I understand that, and had mentioned it in the e-mail and actually telling them they ought to "fix" that).. Since then, I haven't been back, but I do recommend the site.

In the meantime, I do speak German very well (ich kann sehr gut Deutsch - wirklich! Nach acht Jahren hoffe ich - after eight years, I'd hope so) and now that that little issue is over, I do recommend the site. I'm only not using it, now, 'cause the language I'm now learning - my third - isn't available yet.

(Hope they've decided to fix that problem.)  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:34 am
Blade Lorenz

I actually agree with you there are a LOT of languages livemocha should add to it's already growing number of e-learning materials. I for one have a hard time sharing my thoughts in my own language because there is no course regarding my own mother tongue. I usually just enable English as proficient since I am able to understand it although English is my second subject.  

MrJamesXOXO

Lonely Prophet

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items