User Image User Image User Image

It still felt a little weird being back in the pride, but not in a horrible kind of way. She was... kind of happy. Happy that their home seemed to have improved so much. Sure, there were still nobles rooted in the old ways, but that didn't mean much to her. That didn't mean she wasn't going stay. The king, from what she had heard, was a kind male who loved to look after his people. Though he wasn't very used to being a king, he had made some advances towards making a pride lions of all colors could enjoy together. She had to appreciate that. If it meant a noble could be with a groundling, and neither would have to feel like they were going to be killed for it, than it was a good day indeed. She could feel like she could be happy again, which was something she hadn't felt in a long time. Living in the rogue lands had helped them be together, sure, but it had never felt like a real home.

This pride was where she belonged.

Sighing softly, she moved with her love to explore the pride, which seemed somehow healthier and brighter than it had the first time around. Maybe she was just seeing what she wanted to see, but she was happy the pride hadn't fallen into chaos thanks to the former king.

Ninniach smiled at her, giving her a lick on the cheek. She wiggled, instinctively looking around. "don't worry," he told her lightly, "it's not going to get us killed now. Maybe a couple funny looks here and there, but it's not the worst thing in the world, right?"

"I guess not," she laughed, "we got funny looks just because you're so big and I'm so small. This is normal. I'm just... a little nervous, that's all."

"You don't have to be nervous," said a voice from behind them, "I would hate for any of my subjects to feel nervous, especially those who are returning home after so long." Both lion and lioness looked behind them, surprised to see the ruler himself watching them with a warm smile.

"Y-you're King Bwana! Sir! It's an honor..." Ninniach gasped, offering the younger lion a respectful bow. Hathel followed suit, and Bwana responded with a happy nod of his head. Smiling, he motioned for them to get up, before sitting himself down comfortably in the grass. The weather was fair, and a light sprinkle had left the area very comfortable for warm butts to sit in. Nothing like a light dew.

Bwana continued to smile, waiting for them to sit and get comfortable before he offered further conversation. "It is good to see former members of the pride returning. I heard you were here once before, when my father was in charge. I wish to apologize for his mistakes- for making you feel like you needed to flee." He looked a little sad, like he really did take his father's mistakes as his own, and wanted to make up for them. Hathel sighed softly, shaking her head.

"You aren't responsible for your father's actions," she told him lightly, "and you've done so much for the pride with him out of the picture. It's an honor to be back here, with everything looking as it does now, my lord."

"Yes," Ninniach agreed brightly, his tail wrapping around his paws as he felt himself start to relax, "the pride looks great now! You should be very proud."

"I am," replied the male, "it is great to see this place in a better state. But I still feel like my father should not have been allowed to go as far as he did. I ran away, I admit it, and now that I'm wise enough to see my mistakes, I only hope I can continue to make up for them. In any case, I'm glad my leadership has at least brought two returning members back to their home." He smiled happily, and Ninniach and Hathel both felt a surge of emotion run through them.

"It's really nice," said Hathel, "to see a king so eager to make his subjects happy. I'm very honored to be here, with someone like you as our leader. You are indeed the kind of king we had heard about on our way here."

"oh?" Laughed Bwana, "rumors about me?"

Ninniach laughed, nodding along with the conversation. "Yes, but nothing you need to be worried about. We had heard the new king was the son of the former ruler, and that he had returned after some absence from the pride. We had also heard that he was changing some of the rules within the pride, and making it a more welcoming place than it used to be. That was what brought us from our hiding place, and made us both eager to return here to see the changed for ourselves. Thankfully, it seems what we heard was the truth: this pride is different now, and you are not your father in any measure."

Bwana was contented to hear that- it seemed like he needed the encouragement. Ninniach wasn't too surprised. It was probably difficult to speak to all the pride members, and they likely didn't often have casual conversations with the leader like the one they were having right at that moment. He was probably too busy with other things to get a lot of compliments on his work. Sometimes, it was probably nice to hear that he was doing at least an okay job.

He probably had his worries.

Stretching, Hathel flopped against Ninniach, in a show of emotion while the king was present that Ninniach had not been expecting. He looked very surprised, and almost a little concerned. But when he looked at bwana, he found the male was not looking at them with any kind of disgust or shock. All he could see was another pride member who was seeing two lions in love. maybe he should have been expecting that- they had just been talking about things being different. This was just further proof.

"You two are very happy, I see. That makes me happy, too." Bwana was a kind king, Ninniach could see that. Hathel seemed aware of it to, considering how friendly she was being despite having been so nervous earlier. Now no one was really upset at that moment, though. they were all quite happy just talking to one another.

"you know, I never thought I would be having a conversation with the king of the pride so easily. I always thought royalty was more... you know... anti social."

Bwana laughed. "That comes from my father," he laughed lightly, "he wasn't much for talking with the pride members. I, however, like it. I like being able to feel like one of the crowd sometimes, you know? It helps me really see what's going on, so I can try and deal with things in the best way possible. Plus, I get to make some friends, so I can't be mad about that, now can I?"

"Not at all," laughed Hathel, "it's very sweet that you would do that. But don't you have council that would be able to do that as well? They would be able to go and tell you what's going on when they return."

"You think I should have a council?" Asked Bwana, "i do have advisors, but..."

"why do you think he shouldn't be doing it himself?" Questioned Ninniach, arching an eyebrow.

"Well... it's not safe, that's all. Not everyone is as happy about these changes as we are, right? So maybe someone would try and attack him while he's out on his own. I don't know... I thought it might be a little too dangerous, that's all." She blushed faintly under her fur, shifting awkwardly.

Bwana laughed. "Well, I appreciate the concern, but even if it is dangerous, I think i'm willing to risk it, just because I want to be closer to the public. I hope you'll allow me to bother you again sometime."

"Of course!" said the female lightly, "you're welcome to talk to use any time! Hopefully you'll be able to visit... when the cubs come." She looked a little sheepish, her eyes turning from a surprised Bwana to an equally surprised Ninniach.

"You... you're...?!" She nodded at his stuttering words, laughing softly before reaching up to give him a comforting nuzzle.

"this is wonderful!" Laughed the king, "congratulations to the both of you! I can't wait to see the cubs when they're brought into this world! I hope the Suka'Fumo will be good to them, too!" He was thrilled to know there would be new life in the Suka'Fumo. It felt like it had been ages since he had seen new children running around. "I should let you two talk, then, shouldn't I? It was very good meeting you both. If you need absolutely anything, please don't hesitate to ask me!" With that, he left them to discuss the cubs together, since it seemed poor Ninniach had just a few questions.

(1515 words)