In the quiet of the soft evening light with only the sound of crashing waves against sand a pair of lionesses lay among the waves. Should any spying eyes see the pair even a sober lion would think they were seeing double as these two lionesses were identical in almost every way. They lay side by side facing the forest with all their body in the water when the tide came to its highest. The pair were motionless in the surf almost as if they were statues carved from rock and left to erode in the surf. However this was not so as both lionesses moved just ever so slightly so their movements were almost undetectable in the slowly fading light.

Jasiri was scanning the forest line for any possible movement. She really preferred not being spied on by lions of the pride but when laying in the surf out in the open like they were it was always a possibility for them to be seen. Who wouldn’t want to check out a pair of lionesses who looked exactly alike anyhow? Sometimes she really hated how much attention it drew even when it was unwanted. Though there were other times that she wished her sister was more willing to get in on the games she played with the male crew members. It really seemed to rile them up more when they thought they would get lucky with twins. Sadly wouldn’t you know that her sister fell in love with a female and there would be little chance of her getting her sister to have any fun flirting with the crew along with her. Someday she would convince her to join her with a male just for fun or other purposes if that was the only way she could convince her. “So how is the whole thing with you and that one lioness going? You told me you really liked her and she really liked you.”

Imara turned her head very slightly so she could glare at her sister. “Shhh! Someone might hear you Jasiri. No one can know about it or she might get in trouble with her father.” Imara said and she quickly glanced around the beach to see if anyone was near. The beach was completely deserted where they were. The two of them had gone very far down the beach almost completely out of the pride so they could have some peace and quiet without any other individuals peaking at them. Still Imara felt like they were being watched and talking about her thing with Arrows made her extremely nervous. She was really starting to care for Arrows and she didn’t want her love to get in trouble because of her.

Jasiri couldn’t help but laugh at her sisters comment and when her sister growled at her she explained. “There is no way anyone nearby could hear what we are saying over these waves. They would have to hide in the trees to watch us without us knowing and way up there they couldn’t hear a single word we say. Don’t worry about it.” Jasiri said as she flicked her tail up sending a small rain of water over their backs. “I’m surprised really that you were able to find someone interested in being with you so quickly. Most of the males are all hit it and quit it kind of guys. I’m certainly not complaining though cause I don’t want anyone getting attached.”

Imara snorted at her sisters comment of someone getting attached and just shook her head. “If someone tried to get attached to you they’d just end up with a lot of scars. This place is so perfect for the life style you want to lead Jasiri. I’m sad to see you live without love but I understand why you don’t want to give your heart to just anyone. I wouldn’t cross love off completely though. Maybe one of those hit it and quit it guys will turn out to be the perfect guy for you.”

Jasiri shrugged at Imara’s words and turned her gaze out to the ocean. She hated the topic of love with a passion. The only reason she ever brought up her sisters love life is because it wasn’t the normal kind of love and she enjoyed trying to tease her sister if she could. “Well we’ll just see what happens. Whoever I fall in love with will really have to prove himself. Won’t go down very easily.”

Imara smiled at her sister and nudged her shoulder. “Oh I know you won’t. I’m going to celebrate when that guy comes along though. You know I’ll be on his team working my magic.”

Jasiri turned to look at her sister and glared. “You better not be working any magic. That’s called interfering and I will know if you do. You had better not even think about it.”

“Oh I’ll think on it all I want and be all up in your business so much.” Imara laughed and quickly jumped up as her sister lunged for her. She took off running down the beach laughing the whole way while her sister cursed her.

Jasiri snarled and ran as fast as she could after her sister. She was angry at the thought of her sister meddling in her business but the longer she had to run the more fun it became and by the time they were half way back to the caverns the chase was more of a game. “I’m going to get you Imara! You will be begging me not to meddle in my business when I get ahold of you!”

Imara’s legs burned as she ran in the impeding sand. Even after having resided in the pride for a while now she still had a hard time running along in the sand. However the longer she traveled around on the beach of her new home the easier it was becoming for her. The main cavern of the pride were coming up ahead and she could see her destination. She was so close she could almost touch it but before she could reach it her body was slammed to the ground.

Jasiri laughed as she landed on her sister with a thump. “I told you I would catch you.” She told her with a grin and a lick to the face. Slowly she rose off her sister and started towards the caverns. “Come on let’s go see if they need any help since we’re here.” She said and together the pair walked into the caverns to offer their help.

Word count: 1,098