Aesir
She was back again. Aesir still hadn't really been able to see the lioness who had decided it was her duty to care for him, nor figured out what it was she wanted from him in exchange for her care. She smelled good and her fur was soft, despite being frequently damp. Her voice was pleasant to listen to, even if he missed the growling Stormborn accent, and more than that the Stormborn tongue. He didn't think he would ever have occasion to speak that again. Just one more thing he had lost.

"Helping needy drunks, too?" he asked her as he heard and smelled her approach. He could smell fermented fruits and since she certainly hadn't brought him any, he had to assume the scent came from earlier in her day.

He had already figured out that he was perilously close to pirate territory, but the thought didn't distress him overmuch. If he met a pirate he would kill it. Or maybe the pirate would kill him, but he had doubts about that, even in his present condition. Pirates were thieves, not fighters, and that made a huge difference in combat.

Kat
She had done her best to care for him, but this time she had brought her ointments and stray leaves that would help heal the infection around his eye. She hoped it work, as the poor lad was probably in a good deal of pain, even if he'd loathe to admit it.

"A little too needy, if you ask me." She said of Jakk. She knew that Aesir probably smelled him on her. She had wanted that meeting to be as brief as possible, and she was glad that a firm paw across Jakk's face had been enough to dissuade him from conversing with her any further.

"I brought some things for you." She said. Before she had returned, she had fished once more to bring food for the male. She hated serving him, but she supposed that wasn't quite what she was doing. She dropped the satchel around her neck, pulling out the fish, the leaves, and then the ointment.

"I think it should help."

Aesir
"And you don't like your men needy. Just a little bit helpless, right?" he joked, laughing in a way that didn't really sound very jovial. His sense of humor was a bit bruised and damaged, too, following his lost battle, and so his attempts to make jokes often fell short and came across as bitter rather than wry.

He sniffed the air again although it was hardly necessary. "Fish. Very nice." He actually didn't mean that sarcastically. Aesir had always liked fish. He liked fishing, too, for that matter. He wondered if he would be able to do that still once the infection cleared up. There was something very satisfying about snagging a fish on his claws, throwing it onto the shore, and wrestling it into submission while it writhed and slapped at him with its tail and tried to jab him with spines that materialized out of nowhere.

"Oh and more ointments. What joy." He knew that she probably expected to be thankeed but in the Stormborn healers weren't typically thanked. They did their jobs and received goods or services in exchange. Thanks were unnecessary.

Kat
"I have a feeling even you aren't helpless." She said with a grin, though she knew he couldn't see it. Even injured, she had a feeling he was dangerous. He couldn't see, and could run into a few trees if he wasn't careful.. But he was far from helpless, of that she was sure.

"I thought you might be hungry." She said, and sat down where she was beside him. She put the fish in front of him, her paw touching his as she placed it down. Sure she was healing him, but she was also trying to seduce him. She did want cubs from him after all.

She placed her paw in the ointment, using her free paw to turn his head towards her. "This will take a second, then you can eat." She assured, and delicately placed the ointment around the infected eye. Then she grabbed a leaf, one that had healing traits from what she had learned, and placed it over his eye.

She didn't expect a thanks, nor did she particularly want one. What she wanted, had far different motivations. "Hey the ointment is going to be what saves that eye." She said with a chuckle, releasing his head so he could get to the fish.

Aesir
"Your paw is on the fish," he pointed out. He wasn't oblivious to her overtures, but he also wasn't sure why she was bothering.

For one thing, he wasn't use to anybody in his present state. He couldn't hunt or fight, and those were two of the things he was best at. He could, of course, service a lioness, and he had gotten the impression from her that was what she wanted from him anyway, and he recalled tacitly agreeing to that. Why she was bothering with a seduction was a bit beyond him.

"Notice I'm holding still," Aesir replied. He couldn't say he'd noticed much difference between the effectiveness of this lioness's medications and those his erstwhile mate had applied, but at least something was being done, and that was a little reassuring.

It was actually very difficult for him to hold still and let somebody he couldn't see mess around with the only eye he had left. He had already given his left eye up as lost. That was healing perfectly well, actually, although it still hurt like the Stormlords' shitting out lightning.

Kat
She was wondering if maybe seducing him wasn't particularly needed. It was her nature, and it was hard not to do, to be honest. When he pointed out that her paw was on the fish, she rolled her eyes with a grin. Though she was going to play it off best she could.

"Yes, that's how I handed it to you." She smiled, and placed the shell that contained the ointment back in the satchel she had brought. She could tell that it was working though, his eye didn't look as bad today as it had previously.

"Your eye is looking a little better." She said, turning to look at him. She was unaware he had a mate, and quite honestly she didn't care. Her mate didn't concern her, she had no intentions on making this male her consort. She wanted one thing from him, and she was positive he would keep his word about it. Such a strong male.. She knew he'd sire strong cubs.

Aesir
He twisted his mouth into something resembling a smile or a grin. He wasn't terrifically good at those lately, either, although in the past he had been a lion who could grin and look like a dangerous, charming warrior. Now he mostly just tended to look dangerous.

"I wouldn't know," he told her. "I can't see it." Another joke, also not very good.

He tolerated the sticky smelly ointment without fussing for the most part, even though after a few hours he was tempted to rub it all off. The only thing stopping him from doing that, really, was how much it would hurt to rub the infected slashes.

"You don't have to do this," he said. There was an implied question in the statement. He wanted to know why she was doing this.

Kat
She chuckled. He was almost intolerable, but she couldn't help but like him. Maybe not like.. LIKE him, but she certainly enjoyed his company.

"Then I guess you'd best take my word for it, huh?" She asked, and she stilled. She would have taken a moment to touch him, but she was almost sure that he would just call her out for doing it. So she refrained, though her every instinct told her to.

"Of course I don't have to do it. Consider it a good deed I felt like doing." She wondered if she should tell him she was a mermaid. Would it change the way he allowed her to care for him? Someting told her he wouldn't be afraid of dealing with a mermaid.

Aesir
"I suppose I will," he agreed.

"So tell me...and don't spare my feelings...am I..." He paused for too long, giving her time to wonder if he was going to ask something like whether he would ever be able to see again, or some other question that a weaker lion would ask.

"Am I pretty?" He couldn't open his eyes wide or bat them or anything, but his tone for those last three words mimicked that of a young girl fairly well, despite being naturally rough and growly. He couldn't do it for very long, but he'd managed just long enough to serve his purposes. Then he laughed.

"Do you want some of this fish, or have you already eaten?"

Kat
When he agreed, she nodded but then he started to ask her a question. She listened intently, and she thought he was about to ask something serious. She was prepared to answer him if he asked if he'd see again. Odds were, he would be blind, and she knew it. She was sure he knew it to. And then he finished.

She blinked for a moment, and then busted out laughing. Her laughter was light, almost melodic. She hadn't been prepared for that, but she was thankful for him lightening the mood a little.

"I've already eaten." She answered, but then cleared her throat. "So tell me.. Where do you come from?" She asked. She wasnt even sure he would tell her, but she hadn't really learned what had happened to him.

"If you tell me, I'll tell you who I am." Oh great, now who sounded like a young girl?

Aesir
Aesir was pleased that he'd managed to make her laugh. It wasn't as if he was unaware of how his sense of humor had suffered. He just couldn't seem to fix it. This time, though, he'd gotten it right, and that pleased him.

"More for me then," he observed and without any concern for how polite or impolite it might be to eat while someone else was talking to him he began to devour the fish, which had the added bonus of granting him some time to think before answering that question. It wasn't the first time she had asked it, or some variation on it. He didn't know why he was so resistant to answering her.

"I came from a pride on the sea some distance from here. It wold be difficult to say which direction since, well, I can't really even use the sun as an indicator." The fact was, Aesir had a pretty good idea of where he was in relation to the Stormborn and he was well aware of the risk of being here. He hoped Morri would not look for him in this direction. She was fierce, but not really a fighter. If something happened to her because he had left her alone, Aesir would be very angry.

"It's rockier there, and much colder. The water is rougher and a week rarely passes without a storm. In the mornings frost sometimes covers the ground and you can walk up to the ice melts and drink the coldest, clearest water in the world. It is a good place." There. That sort of answered her question without actually telling her too much about who he was personally.

Kat
She was all for him enjoying his meal to himself. When he began to rip into them, she could tell she had made the right decision bringing him something. He had been hungry, and she knew he appreciated it, whether he said it or not.

"Oh. Interesting indeed. I come from a pride on the sea as well. Though I'd wager it's far different than your own." She wouldn't tell him of the island or of the location of her pride. But she supposed she could give him as much as she had.

"But from the sound of it, much further than I was thinking. It never gets cold here, at least, not where Im from. It's always warm and inviting. The evenings are brisk and lovely." In fact, she loved the evenings. It was the only time she ever came to the Mainland.

"It seems like you loved your home. Such a shame you ended up like this." She said with a tsk. Not that he had failed, no. But someone had turned on him, and that was a shame.

Aesir
Honestly, Aesir wasn't much impressed by the pride she described. Warm and inviting and on the sea would probably translate to humidity, and it was obviously close to pirate lands, which just made property values plummet in Aesir's book, although he didn't mention that.

"It's the way things go where I'm from," Aesir said with a shrug.

He was angry with himself for losing the fight, but he wasn't truly angry at Njal for winning. He was angry at him for exiling or enthralling his kin, but that was Njal's right. He could have killed them all if he had wished to do so, and that would have been his right also. Aesir wasn't grateful to Njal for not killing his cubs and grandcubs, but he didn't doubt that his offspring could look out for themselves regardless of their circumstances.

He didn't really have much in the way of conversation to offer. Things didn't really change a great deal for him while he lazed about convalescing. He was learning to maneuver better without sight to guide him and exploring the area around where he had been brought, but none of that seemed worth mentioning. He was content to be silent for lack of anything to say.

Kat
She could see him getting weary, or perhaps it was her conversation that was making him slump the way he was. He just looked tired, and she was willing to leave him if he needed it. She had done what she was required, and he didn't really require her to sit and carry on conversation.

"You will be healed soon, and able to travel where it is you want to go." She assured him, and smiled a bit. She was nervous bringing up the idea of cub siring. Nervous? Her? Well that didn't happen quite often. She was surprised she knew the feeling.

"I have a bit of an alterior motive, really." She said. She had to tell him, what if she had males? She wasn't sure if he would be upset about it.. But she certainly hadn't wanted to tell him.

"I am a Mermaid." She offered finally, and then cleared her throat. "As such, duties are required of me."

Aesir
Aesir refrained from mentioning that he could travel now, if he felt like it, he just wouldn't make very fast progress. He probably still wouldn't move very quickly once he was healed, since he suspected he would be learning to navigate blind, but he would still be traveling. He didn't have to be contentious just because he was bored and blind and tired of being both things. He just grunted an acknowledgment and went back to eating fish, letting her say whatever it was she wanted to say.

He listened while she went on falteringly about her ulterior motive. He didn't know why she had such a hard time admitting it. He had suspected as much from the beginning. Of course he didn't tell her that. He wasn't sure if that would make it easier or harder for her to spit out what she had to tell him, so he was just silent and waited while she went on about being a mermaid and having duties.

"Do the duties require you to heal, or is there a payment you mean to exact from me relating to your being a mermaid?" he asked at last. She was taking too long to reach the point. Patience was not one of his virtues unless he was executing an attack.

Kat
Finally she decided to just come out with it. What good was it doing to beat around the bush anyway? Nothing. So why was she doing it? She had no idea. She had never really been nervous of anyone in her life. And these weren't butterflies, but what if she had spent all that time, for nothing? Healing him only to tell Syrena that she wouldnt be bringing in cubs in the next few months..

"The duties require me to bear a litter." She said finally, and her eyes met his, though he couldnt see it. "And if I do not, I have failed. So you see." She said, and cleared her throat. "I need you to help me with my duty." Normally she didn't have to ask, the action just..happened after a few nips and nuzzles.

Aesir
"Ah." That was a new one. Still, Aesir wasn't a lion to turn down free sex with no strings. As long as there truly were no strings. He had an honorable death to find, and strings could get him entangled in matters which would delay his preferred end.

"What will become of the cubs I sire on you?" he asked. After all, most of the time when he covered a lion it was more about his pleasure than producing offspring. Since this mating would be solely about spawn Aesir felt he had a right to know what would happen to these particular fruits of his loins. He didn't want them to fall into piratical clutches through poor mothering or something on the mermaid's part.

Kat
His one word made her curious as to whether or not this was going to be okay with him. She wasn't even sure if he had suspected what she might ask, but he was smart so it wouldn't have surprised her if he had.

"The females will live out their lives among the Mermaids. The males.. Well." She normally dropped the pridal cubs off at the Pirate lands. But that was due to them just not wanting males around. So she supposed she could make an exception.

"Males usually are sent to live among the Pirates. But since Im the one that delivers the males in the night.. I suppose I could drop them where you see fit." She said flatly. Truth was, she tried not to think about her male cubs. She already had two, and if she thought too hard she missed them.

Aesir
Aesir scowled but did not snarl at the thought of his blood being given to pirates.

"I will not have my sons raised as pirates," he informed her firmly. "But for that, I am willing to assist you in completing your duty to your pride."

In truth, other than the distasteful idea of members of his blood associating with pirates, he was more comfortable with accepting her healing now that he knew for certain this was not a one-sided exchange, and that he was not the recipient of charity. He had a role to fulfill and he was willing to do so. An exchange of services, just like at home. Although he'd never before had a healer ask him to be repaid for their work in this way.

He wondered if he should also mention that he didn't wish for any of his daughters to breed or associate with pirates, but he knew that was not an easy restriction to enforce. Daughters did what they would do and forbidding them to do a thing just made them more determined to try it. Besides, if the mermaid was half as smart as he thought she was she would figure out for herself that if he didn't want his sons raised as pirates, he probably didn't want his daughters breeding with them.

Kat
Keeping the boys out of the pirates, would be far easier than keeping the girls from breeding with them. She probably would have informed him that the males were his to do with as he pleased, and the girls he would have to just trust that she raise appropriately. The females were of no concern to him. But she wouldn't tell him that. No, that was his offspring too. She wanted him to help, and if that's what it took. Then she would keep quiet.

"We will have to discuss where Im to take the boys once they are able to walk. " She asid to him, but she smiled. She was going to be a mother again, or at least, she hoped so. She'd have explaining to do otherwise.

"But I will agree to keep them from the Pirates. My boys are already there, and Im not sure it would do them any favors to see others that look like their mother as well." She smiled sadly, and for that she was thankful he was unable to see her.

Aesir
He had already had the experience of raising a litter of cubs while another illegitimate litter grew up in the pride that he acknowledged as his also. It had been a balancing act that left neither mother particularly happy with him and had not made the cubs themselves particularly fond of each other, with the exception of Kazul and Odd. He could understand her concerns on that front.

"It sounds as if we have an agreement," Aesir said. "Let me know when you want me to do my part."