Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Rainbow Bridge
My New Friends, Gone Already(Long and detailed. Sad)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MacKoons the Raccoon

Timid Cat

10,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Timid 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:33 pm
(this is a long story)

Recently moved in with my step father. He has a nice farm house,which came with a number of new friends for me. Two dogs and 15 cats/adolescents/kittens. I love cats so I was so excited! I was even more so when I found out that one of the 4 adults was pregnant.

We had four adults, three adolescents(teens?), and seven 4-5 week old kittens. I went and named EACH one. We referred to the kittens as "teeny-boppers." There was one lavender point kitten(Siamese looking like it's mother) and FIVE turtle shell. No, my math isn't off, when we finished moving in, we did a head count and only counted the 6 lil' babies. Never fund the little guy after that. My step dad says it was a white kitten.

Soon after we moved in we found out that another adult was pregnant. We have 2 lavender points (sisters or mother-daughter) a turtle shell, and a sweet old Maine Coon(?). She's reaching her final days, no teeth, he gums bleed and yet she goes on. Always following me around the farm. With a lot of energy, if I might add.

We also have the 2 dogs, a puppy who we swear is part frog. I've never seen a dog jump so much!! (or bark for that matter). And then we have Honey. A sweet girl, an old lap(-mix?). Sweetest dog I've ever met.

The only animals allowed in our house are the ones we brought from home, my cat Braveheart and my brothers cat Smokey. Both are tabby-cats, Brave is orange and 'Mokey is grey. Then we have Pandora. Appropriately named, she can be rather ('scuz the language) bitchy, she is no-ones cat. No let me re-phrase that, she is no-HUMANS cat. She love 'Mokey though. She hates being petted, which is shame because she is a beautiful Maine Coon, Silkiest fur I've ever felt. Shame. Then we have Winne(Whinnie). Old girl turning 15. She has arthritis, neurological problems, and some fatty-tissue tumors. Before THIS comes up, she is in NO pain, she ISN'T suffering, she has her meds. When she does start to show us signs that she's ready,we'll let her go. Even our vet thinks she still has a bit, so please no comments in regards to that.

On to my new friends.

My little buddies, all six of them, were doing great. Running around despite their young age, even eating the cat food we set out for the others! The cutest little things, afraid of nothing and always curious. Maybe that's where it started, their curiosity getting the better of them. One night one tried to sneak in the house as we were closing the door... He got caught in the closing door. R-right on his neck. He twitched and he bucked until his movements slowed. I put him on the ground and ran to get my mother... When we returned we saw that he was still breathing... there was still hope.. Not much though. I sat with him all day, and damn was it a hot day, until he sat up. I began crying for the >input big number< time that day. I stayed still until he got up and walked a few steps. He was off balance and would fall over, but he was trying. He eventually made to his mother, at around 9. At night. I went to bed. When I woke up he was fine, his back was hunched and he was slow, but alive..

All the kittens had caught Conjunctavitice(spell?) from one another. Not fatal thank-fully.

Momma had her babies. 3+ little things. But she rejected them. Had them and left. We only found the 3. We knew she had more because you could see the lumps in her belly, feel them move. We let her be and the next morning she was thin again. But still, we could only find the 3. The nights have been getting longer and colder. I was shocked the new-borns lasted the night with out their mother. But they didn't make it through the day. Another of the cats came and fed them a little but over the next, cold, night they passed. never found the others..

By this time we were down to only 3 of the teeny-boppers. The others couldn't last the night, but the runt was still running about, slower than the others. The morning after we lost the newborns had passed I found one of the kittens.. Still not the runt. I cried. WHY THE HELL DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING????!! It's not fair! They did nothing to deserve this. After this we had the 2 kittens, the runt and the one white baby.

The runt passed away three days ago.. asleep next to his mother.

The next day one of the adolescents disappeared. My BEST little friend, a pitch black Bom-Bay. He had a few white hairs on his chest. I named him Bagara, like from the Jungle Book. He was so panther like, fast, sneaky, sleek, spent most of the day asleep in the highest tree. And was a compete sweety, he'd sleep on your lap if you were outside, always happy to get belly rubs, cuddly, Just the best cat one could want. I love that cat..

Down to only one baby kitten now. He's doing fine, getting fat. Running with the two adolescents.

Today

Woke up and my step father told me there were two little white kitties out side. I told him he was full of s**t and went to look. Only saw the one. Came back inside and did some stuff. My step dad and my mother went outside to clean the septic tank. We have an OLD farm house. My mother came inside and told me that there were TWO little babies outside. I went and looked. Sure as s**t, there WAS another kitten!! white like the other! My first thought was that it was the lost kitten, but it can't have been.. It's twice the size of the other kitten!! TWICE! It's fat also, not like cute, big-bellied kitten fat, but chubby-cheeks fat. And is the cutest thing ever! Doesn't like people. He seems to be the kitten of the one other adult cat.

As I was writhing this, my mother and step father found Bagara.. While they were cleaning the septic.. He fell in... The smartest, fastest cat on this farm... fell into the septic tank... It wouldn't have happened if my step father had kept the damn thing closed, but NO! He needs it open for easy access.

I ******** hate this place now. Hell! To top all THAT off, somethings wrong with Brave. No clue what happened, spider bite maybe? His nose is scabbed over, with some flesh missing. It leaks a clear odorless liquid. He's getting better. not much, but he's getting there.

All of this happened in the past THREE weeks!!

FML

RIP Bagara, Skitch, Miracle, Zippy, Bukaneer, Blast, the new-borns, the lost kitten, and the other, never found, new-borns.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:32 pm
eek Whoah ... So sorry to hear about all the losses. But such is the life of the average "barn cat". Barn cats are usually needed to roam around the outbuildings to help keep the rodent/pest populations low. The average outdoor cat lives 3-5 years, if they're lucky. But barn cats have other hazards to deal with on a farm, especially with predators and the sort, so they will more than likely pay for their freedom with much shorter lifespans.

I really cannot speak from experience, as I've personally never lived out in the country or on a farm. But I did have an Aunt and Uncle who used to live on farm land belonging to her family's dairy farm, and I used to stay overnight at their place from time to time when I was younger. I don't mean to be crude here, but many barn cats will come and go over time, so I suggest that you try to not become too overly attached to them. Just do your best to understand their purpose, how to care for them and give them the attention they may desire. neutral

Eileen50

Distinct Trainer

Rainbow Bridge

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces