Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:33 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Fupa had worked her tail off shortly after the war. Thankfully there were two other bone setters, or the white female would probably have died from exhaustion. Thankfully no one had died in her paws, but there were quite a few that would never experience life quite the same. Shuffling around in ranks, those that may have once been proud guards were now merely pup sitters, or scavengers. They would do enough to keep their place within the pack, but they would probably never leave the safety of the graveyard again.

Fupa herself never left unless she had to gather up a few supplies. She was wandering through the piles of bones now, picking through some of the piles to look for some straight, if broken, bones. She had gone through her collection when making splints, and with the lull in injures, intended on replenishing that pile that rested within her own little skull-den.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:39 pm
User Image

So..."graveyard" apparently meant "place where dead things rot". All in all, a strange enough place for any creature to make its home, but Marion supposed that, as hyenas were scavengers, it made a gruesome kind of sense. Still, this was a place unlike any other she'd ever seen or passed through. Adults made their dens in the massive skulls left behind by elephants, pups ran along vertebrae and hid behind ribs...it was adorably grotesque.

And everywhere she looked there were signs of a struggle in the not-too-distant past. Many who had been injured and now went through life with lasting disabilities. Many scars that had only just lost that angry red look. Many with the dull eyes of those who had seen too much death, lost too many close to them.

The markings some had by birth certainly didn't help, the red hyena decided, looking at one female who was mostly white...save for her hind feet and two marks that tracked like tears down her cheek. Marion had been alarmed at first sight, for the other's markings were the same red as blood.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:50 pm
With one broken, but still useable, feamer bone in her jaw, she used her dusty forepaws to push through another pile. "Hrrrrg," she mumbled to herself, feeling a little saliva drip from the corners of her mouth. Not the most pleasant feeling, but work was work. Her pups were now adults. They had their own duties to do, and could no longer follow her and offer what little help a young pup could.

She dropped the bone when she saw another that looked promising, doing her best to not let any of the bones slip away and create a little avalanche.

She was successful...for the most part. A spare bone rolled off the pile, down, down...and as Fupa glanced up, towards a stranger hyena.

"Oops."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:52 pm
She watched the bone roll toward her and set a paw on top of the broken old thing to keep it from rolling further. She wasn't entirely certain why an adult would be collecting and piling the splinters like a pup, but there had to be some sort of explanation.

"I take it this is yours?" Marion offered neutrally.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:59 pm
"Sorry," Fupa said as she trotted towards the stranger. It was a little refreshing to see another female, since she had only really been running into males lately.

"No, it just slipped out of the pile while I was looking for some bones to use as splints," she said, realizing that she had left her two good bones back there. Well...she could get them once she was done speaking with this stranger hyena.

"Are you new here? I just...usually come across most of the pack members when they get injured," she said with a slight flush across her face. It wasn't nice to assume, but Fupa couldn't help herself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:01 pm
Splints? She knew what those were. Pieces of wood that kept broken limbs aligned so that they healed straight. But these hyenas used bones? Well, not a bad idea, living in this place. Splinters and shards of bone were everywhere, here. It was an interesting concept.

"I met Masuko and she gave me leave to stay three days," the red hyena replied, amusement twisting her lips slightly. The Alpha was a force to be recokened with, yes, but that didn't stop her from seeming a bit...overenthusiastic when she was out of sight.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:16 pm
Fupa's ears twitched up at that. "Oh, the Alpha? Interesting...she doesn't do that often. Probably because you're..." Fupa almost said female, but instead figured that it was because they were so weakened from the past war.

"Um, well, we're a little short on paws and strength right now," she rushed to say. Which was the bitter truth, to be honest. "We took heavy losses...and we're just barely getting by while the majority of those injured heal." It aws getting better, and some of the youngsters had grown up enough to go hunting off in their own little packs. Otherwise many of them would have gone too hungry by now.

"Do you...like it?"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:20 pm
Her ears twitched slightly as Marion caught the other hyena's near slip. Masuko didn't often allow strangers to stay, even temporarily? It was true that this pack was smaller than it could be, from what she'd seen, but she couldn't help wonder what it was the white hyena had been about to say instead.

"I've seen many who will be maimed for the rest of their lives," she replied quietly, thinking back on those unfortunate ones. Blinking, she refocused to answer the question.

"It's different from everything I've ever seen," the red hyena related slowly. "But I've still got two days to decide whether I like it or not."  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:28 pm
Fupa's red eyes glanced downwards. "Yes," she said quietly. "The lions are not kind, and though I did the best I could, I'm not the best healer out there." She had gotten better after joining the pack, but she wasn't as well trained as she knew others must be, somewhere out in the rogue lands. It was better than nothing, but it still frustrated her.

She glanced back upwards, a soft smile on her face. "Two days is a long time to see things. The biggest downfall to this place is water. Otherwise it is comfortable."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:32 pm
Hmmm. If she had to hazard a guess, Marion would guess that the injuries were the result of some conflict with lions. Lions that Masuko couldn't stand. She couldn't quite gauge the white hyena's opinion, but assumed that this one didn't feel quite as strongly as the Alpha.

She was also modest, admitting that she was not the best healer around. There were stories there, Marion was sure, about those this hyena had been unable to save.

The red hyena "hemmed" as the other pointed out a good and bad point each for the elephant graveyard. "Comfortable" wasn't quite the word she'd use, and water was a telling factor. These were reasons to pass on by after the next two days were done.

Huh. It seemed as if she was hoping for reasons to stay. Curious. What was it about this place, this pack then?  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:54 pm
Fupa's head tilted to the side, her front bangs brushing against her eyes. It was interesting that the red hyena hadn't said anything, but she was clearly indicating that she was thinking about things. Fupa didn't think that she had really offered anything to think about, but Fupa wasn't known for her smarts. She was sweet, did the best she could when healing...but no one would come to her to fix a problem.

"Do you have any other questions?" Fupa asked, a little intent on getting back to work before a bone collector swooped up and swiped her two bones.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:57 pm
Marion watched the other hyena move around, collecting her bones. They were interesting choices and she could see the use of them as splints. Personally, she liked objects that were less...straight and plain. But she only observed such items, etching them in her memory as she passed on by.

"Why are you so protective of those bone splinters?" The question was out before the red hyena even realized she meant to speak. It was not the question she'd intended to ask.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:02 pm
"Oh!" This wasn't a question she had been expecting. "Well....we have bone collectors. They gather up the best ones, and sometimes they trade with passing rogues for food or information." Her nose twitched at that, trying to not laugh.

"You'd be surprised how many strangers like to wear bones, as if it makes them seem scarier. I try to gather the less appealing ones to use as splints, but sometimes they take from my pile. It gets a little competitive."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:06 pm
There were people who...lived off collecting bones? Marion presumed they weren't limited to that material, but the very concept was...well, eye-opening. It certainly wasn't a trade a rogue could pull off, when simply carrying yourself was all you could manage in the harsher places of the world. It was, in short, something the red hyena would love to do, if only she had the chance.

She nodded in understanding of what the white hyena had said. "It's occurred to me, I've been asking you questions and none that important. What's your name? I'm Marion."

Probably best to be friendlier if she was going to be neighbor and competition to this female. There was no more doubt. She was here to stay. And collect whatever odd objects caught her fancy.  

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

Safaia

Crew

Trickster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:09 pm
Fupa didn't really see anyone as competition. It was just...tiring to go out if someone swiped one from her pile. Thankfully her mate was pretty good about keeping an eye on their pile when he was home.

"Oh! I'm Fupa, its nice to meet you, Marion. I hope you find other answers you need...they all become important in the end!" Otherwise how would you know how to survive in a place like this? It wasn't easy trying to figure it out on your own.

[IC] Mava'Bunda Lands [IC]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff