Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Etrua Region

Back to Guilds

This is a Pokémon RP guild with heavy influences from the game. 

Tags: Pokemon, Role Playing, Etrua, Region, Writing 

Reply Welcome to the Etrua Region
So guys it's been pretty dead lately Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kenocka

Invisible Survivor

9,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:20 pm
Well this all seems promising. I feel useless without being able to add more ideas to the mix. Er... any rules we wanna come up with or is it just regular battles?  
Tsuki the Fated Wind generated a random number between 1 and 649 ... 432!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:49 pm
Or do something like this? Don't guilds tell when somebody deletes a post anyways?

Edit: Purugly  

Tsuki the Fated Wind

Predestined Winner

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Explorer 100

Kenocka

Invisible Survivor

9,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:09 pm
Tsuki the Lunar Wind
Or do something like this? Don't guilds tell when somebody deletes a post anyways?

No they don't say anything about when someone deletes a post. And yes that could work but we'd have to do re-rolls for legendary pokes.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:20 pm
Kenocka
Tsuki the Lunar Wind

No they don't say anything about when someone deletes a post. And yes that could work but we'd have to do re-rolls for legendary pokes.

Go to the Moderator Panel, then Crew Commands, and then click View Logs. It works in another guild where I'm a crew member.  

Tsuki the Fated Wind

Predestined Winner

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Explorer 100

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:32 pm
Akai Shi-Koret
VincentValintine LimitBrk
Akai Shi-Koret
Akai Shi-Koret

I say we roll FOR them xD. Get a designated crew member to use the Pokegenerator and tell people what their teams are afterwards. That way it's fair. And sure, people may think that the person doing the rolling is being unfair, but at least everyone's being held to the same standards.
We could use Join.Me.
It's kinda like livestream but you don't need to sign in, and you can give control to someone else so that you can see their screen.

So you're saying that we could televise the selection process? Have someone with that program activated rolling for Pokemon and allowing everyone to watch him as he does it? xD That's a good idea.
It would mean that the person wouldn't be able to do anything that would give someone an unfair advantage on purpose.

Yeah, I guess that's true as well. So we have someone pull up a reasonable Pokemon generator and televise the process. Any Pokemon that is rolled is leveled to its final evolution and Legendaries are automatic rerolls (unless we find a generator that excludes them).

Why push for final evolution? The greater challenge is working with all stages of a Pokemon's growth. Besides, some Pokemon don't evolve until after level 50, unless we're using different level limits.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:33 pm
Tsuki the Lunar Wind
Kenocka
Tsuki the Lunar Wind

Go to the Moderator Panel, then Crew Commands, and then click View Logs. It works in another guild where I'm a crew member.

I thought you meant like an alert like what happens when you're quoted. XDD Sorry for the misunderstanding.  

Kenocka

Invisible Survivor

9,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Survivor 150

Akai Shi-Koret
Crew

Unbeatable Survivor

7,350 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:36 pm
gabriel sama
Akai Shi-Koret
Akai Shi-Koret
Akai Shi-Koret

I say we roll FOR them xD. Get a designated crew member to use the Pokegenerator and tell people what their teams are afterwards. That way it's fair. And sure, people may think that the person doing the rolling is being unfair, but at least everyone's being held to the same standards.
We could use Join.Me.
It's kinda like livestream but you don't need to sign in, and you can give control to someone else so that you can see their screen.

So you're saying that we could televise the selection process? Have someone with that program activated rolling for Pokemon and allowing everyone to watch him as he does it? xD That's a good idea.
It would mean that the person wouldn't be able to do anything that would give someone an unfair advantage on purpose.

Yeah, I guess that's true as well. So we have someone pull up a reasonable Pokemon generator and televise the process. Any Pokemon that is rolled is leveled to its final evolution and Legendaries are automatic rerolls (unless we find a generator that excludes them).

Why push for final evolution? The greater challenge is working with all stages of a Pokemon's growth. Besides, some Pokemon don't evolve until after level 50, unless we're using different level limits.

Simplicity's sake, basically. Some Pokemon don't really come into their own until after they've evolved anyways, and ALL evolutions have higher base stats than their unevolved forms. So from a competitive standpoint, it makes no sense to have a competition in which people don't have fully evolved Pokemon. I suppose if they so choose, they can opt to use the unevolved forms, but unless they state otherwise we're using the final form.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:45 pm
Akai Shi-Koret
gabriel sama
Akai Shi-Koret
Akai Shi-Koret

Simplicity's sake, basically. Some Pokemon don't really come into their own until after they've evolved anyways, and ALL evolutions have higher base stats than their unevolved forms. So from a competitive standpoint, it makes no sense to have a competition in which people don't have fully evolved Pokemon. I suppose if they so choose, they can opt to use the unevolved forms, but unless they state otherwise we're using the final form.

Would stats really matter in a RP tournament? This isn't Smogon or any of the other programs that enable you to battle competitively. I would think that combat would look similar to the Pokemon battles you can see in the Pokemon Adventures manga, where you use your surroundings to help you fight rather than just rely on pure Pokemon power.  

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

Tsuki the Fated Wind

Predestined Winner

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:58 am
gabriel sama
Akai Shi-Koret
gabriel sama
Akai Shi-Koret
Akai Shi-Koret

Would stats really matter in a RP tournament? This isn't Smogon or any of the other programs that enable you to battle competitively. I would think that combat would look similar to the Pokemon battles you can see in the Pokemon Adventures manga, where you use your surroundings to help you fight rather than just rely on pure Pokemon power.

I assume a person who gets a Larvesta or Caterpie will have a problem when they have to fight on a Garchomp instead of using Volcarona or Butterfree, in which the fight would be more fair.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:21 am
Tsuki the Lunar Wind
gabriel sama
Akai Shi-Koret
gabriel sama
Akai Shi-Koret

I assume a person who gets a Larvesta or Caterpie will have a problem when they have to fight on a Garchomp instead of using Volcarona or Butterfree, in which the fight would be more fair.

It's actually a real tier called challenge cup. The game randomizes everything about your team and you fight with them. It can be balanced or incredibly off balanced. Its every so often you encounter a kyogre with raindance, and other weak physical moves. Or you could be blessed with a dracometeor Latios and sweep a team filled with worms.  

Kaze Espada
Crew

Dapper Conventioneer

7,950 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:29 am
Tsuki the Lunar Wind
gabriel sama
Akai Shi-Koret
gabriel sama
Akai Shi-Koret

A smaller body would make it much harder to hit. A Caterpie using String Shot can move pretty much anywhere on the arena. And it's not always about KOing the opponent. Sometimes just making it incapable to fight can make a difference. Larvesta at least has more than three moves to work with. I choose not to look at stats or evolution as a deciding factor, but rather how to effectively use a Pokemon to fight.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:32 am
Quote:
I choose not to look at stats or evolution as a deciding factor, but rather how to effectively use a Pokemon to fight.

Pretty much this. We can let the creativity flow for people as long as it does remain fair. The more creative they are with the moves the better I guess.  

Belzayne
Crew

Lonely Girl

Akai Shi-Koret
Crew

Unbeatable Survivor

7,350 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:19 pm
gabriel sama
Akai Shi-Koret
gabriel sama
Akai Shi-Koret
Akai Shi-Koret

Yes, actually. Stats do matter, regardless of the medium in which you chose to battle. Stats give a basic representation of how powerful the Pokemon in general is. Would they be able to tell you if a Caterpie could sweep an entire team of ubers? Of course not. But can they give you a reasonable estimation of the results of a Caterpie vs. Reshiram fight? Of course they can. I'm not saying that stats are going to be THE deciding factor, but they're certainly important.

Furthermore, base stats give you a reasonable approximation of a Pokemon's abilities. For the most part, they aren't randomly assigned - you'll find that Steel-types usually have higher defensive stats due to the tough nature of their typing, while we find that Bugs and birds have relatively little defense - which makes perfect sense. Additionally, legendaries have higher base stats than any other Pokemon - again, as befits their status as the most powerful Pokemon around.

Therefore, it DOES make a difference whether or not a Pokemon is fully evolved or not. A smaller Pokemon is GOING to take more damage and dish out less than its fully grown counterpart - that's just the nature of things. Creative battling though can mitigate an unbalanced matchup of course, but no matter how creative you are with your Pokemon's moves and tactics, there are certain limits to its abilities. It's foolish to assume that a Caterpie will be able to beat anything that's thrown at it just because I taught it a few fancy tricks.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:34 pm
How about we remove some Pokemon that would have too much of an edge in battle and round up evolutions for fairness sake. Like pseudos, because their power base stat wise is on the cusp of legendary power?  

Tsuki the Fated Wind

Predestined Winner

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Explorer 100

Tsuki the Fated Wind

Predestined Winner

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:36 pm
... or we can make a list of teams to RNG from? That way we can control people from getting over powered teams?  
Welcome to the Etrua Region

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff