50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Old geezer + New tech = *facepalm*
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
The cake is an untruth...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
...but the pie is the path of enlightenment.
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
*press here for cookie*
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

FireSpark
Crew

Aged Citizen

8,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:32 am
Couldn't decide where to put this, so I just stuck it up front here. This is for anyone to answer that is either computer tech savvy, or can at least point me in the right direction. Any help is welcome.

I recently upgraded to a new computer, and this time I bought something a little closer to the tech curve. And now, for the first time, a computer has stumped me.

Here's my problem. I have two drives, a 64Gb SSD (C: drive) and a 2Tb HDD (D: drive). And when I go to install all my wonderful games on the D: drive, they still extract everything to C:, and there just isn't room for them all to be doing that. gonk

So question: How do I install programs onto my new shiny 'puter where I want them to go? crying

Help a Geezer out? redface  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:32 am
If I had been paying attention to all the things the spouse was doing with our new computers, I could answer that myself sweatdrop We have pretty much the same setup, except your HDD is bigger than mine emo But I have a bigger SSD emotion_awesome {For future reference, SATA is a type of serial port. I'm pretty sure you meant solid state drive [SSD], which uses SATA. *feels like the spouse is slowly making him a computer nerd*}

I would have to try to get the spouse to better answer the question, but most games ask you where you want to install something, in which case, you would direct them to your HDD. Some things you have to click "advanced installation" instead of default in order to do that. They always recommend the default, but there isn't really anything too complicated with the "advanced" part most of the time. It's usually just picking where to install.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

FireSpark
Crew

Aged Citizen

8,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:11 pm
ThisEmptySoul
{For future reference, SATA is a type of serial port. I'm pretty sure you meant solid state drive [SSD], which uses SATA. *feels like the spouse is slowly making him a computer nerd*}

See, this right here? This is what I'm talking about. Even my question is all mixed up. But yes I meant SSD. (Changed up top BTW)

And I've told the damn things to install into my D: drive, and to start with they do. But then when the game begins extracting all the files it needs, it starts throwing them into my C: drive. I know a couple of my games have an advanced option for installing, but not all. So I remain at an impass. crying  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:15 pm
I'd definitely have to ask the spouse then. Ours install and extract files to our HDDs by default unless instructed to do otherwise, I believe. Don't know how the spouse managed to make it do that, though sweatdrop  

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

FireSpark
Crew

Aged Citizen

8,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:10 pm
Phew!

Good news: all is now well.

Bad news: I am still a massive doofus.

After I talked the steps outloud to a friend of mine as we went over the issue, I suddenly realized that I had been missing the custom option on some of my installers. Thus, why they were defaulting to C:, sooooo, doh. xp  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:34 pm
Speaking of being a doofus, spouse informed me that "serial port" is something specific and thus SATA is not a "serial port" emotion_facepalm  

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Ghin - Aoiichi

Retro Punk

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:47 pm
I need help too.

My pops effed up his brand new laptop. I think its windows 8 or 7.

He saw some google thing at the login screen ,clicked it . Now he can't get in.

Help in the right direction is appreciated.  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:56 pm
Given windows 8 isn't out yet, I would assume it's 7.

I'm afraid for any help from anyone, you're going to need to be a little more specific.
Can't get in to what? Can the desktop be reached?

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Ghin - Aoiichi

Retro Punk

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:09 pm
ThisEmptySoul
Given windows 8 isn't out yet, I would assume it's 7.

I'm afraid for any help from anyone, you're going to need to be a little more specific.
Can't get in to what? Can the desktop be reached?

Yes my Pops can not get into the desktop. He is stuck at the login screen.

it has his google account as a new (and only) username.
He does not know the password.  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:02 pm
.... odd.

Assuming it is now linked to his google account somehow {I would have assumed for such to happen, he would have had to enter that information in himself in the first place, but I've never heard of this kind of thing before}, could just go through the steps of retrieving/changing his google account password and using that.

If he doesn't want to have to go through using a password every time he uses the computer, once he gets to the desktop, open up the start menu, go to the control panel and click on user accounts. There, he should be able to make any necessary changes, including removing the password or changing the account name.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Zenzenmotto

Aged Gaian

1,500 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:32 am
I agree, this seems odd. I know you can link your Windows Live ID to your windows 7 account, but never heard of it with a google account. Haven't tried either honestly, I think I will today during lunch.

But either way, Empty is correct, use another PC to reset the password is my only suggestion at the time.  
Old Topics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games