User Image

"...

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past couple of months you know that the Sailor Moon manga has been re-released and re-translated in English by Kodansha. Just like many other Sailor Moon fans in the English speaking world, I'm super happy about this and I'm sure all of you are too.

That all being said, I've found something that I find to be really weird. Apparently there's a few people out there complaining about "mistakes" (I use that word lightly) in the manga. We all know that we're getting a new translation and apparently to the internet new translation = perfectest translated text that has ever been translated!

Let me explain. I heard about the "errors" in the new SM manga and decided to do some Google-fu. I found this article. If you take the time to read the article you'll read a lot of this:

Quote:
“Just look at me, Tuxedo Mask!” should be replaced with “Look at me! Tuxedo Mask!”

And that's the first "mistake" on there. Now, I don't know about you...I consider myself to be an overly picky person and even I think that's just WAY too picky.

But I brushed it off. I know Miss Dream is a popular fan-subber and I figured she would be an isolated case...

And then I went onto Youtube and I was lead here.

I recognized another popular name in the fandom, MoonKitty. I found MOAR examples like this:

Quote:
"I admit it myself, I'm a bit of a crybaby". Slightly awkward and redundant. "I admit it, I'm a bit of a crybaby" or "I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit of a crybaby" would be a lot more natural.

Am I crazy? Am I in the wrong for liking the new Kodansha translation? I mean, don't get me wrong, they do point out SOME legitimate mistakes, but...damn. Translating is an art, not a science, and I feel like these two articles are being way too overly critical. I own Codename: Sailor V 1&2 and have Sailor Moon 1-4 and I had no problem reading them personally. Are fans out there having a hard time understanding the new translation? Is that why at least TWO of these lists exist? Can all these really be considered "mistakes" in the new translation? What do YOU guys think of the new translation? Any more articles out there I don't know about? Let me know! ~ ≧ヮ≦

..."