Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Going on a trip soon

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Infected Fruit

Lonely Cat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:56 pm
So I am going on a trip soon to Canada with my school. I want to be able to practice but I cant be lighter or candles, etc. into an airport. Also, only the people I am rooming with know i am a witch. Any advice on how I can keep up my practice without tools?
*Note* My school is a Christian School so I cant be too obvious I am practicing!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:56 am
I fairly regularly go on vacation to visit my family for a couple of weeks, and don't bring tools or really practice anything while there out of respect for them. I do a lot of visualization, which I can do pretty much anywhere (although for longer and more detailed things I tend to do them at night, in bed).

It kind of depends on what you do as part of your regular practice. What are you wanting to do that you can't?  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:59 am
Infected Fruit
So I am going on a trip soon to Canada with my school. I want to be able to practice but I cant be lighter or candles, etc. into an airport. Also, only the people I am rooming with know i am a witch. Any advice on how I can keep up my practice without tools?
*Note* My school is a Christian School so I cant be too obvious I am practicing!

You don't need tools to practice witchcraft. They're just bonus material, and really, you should spend time learning how to work without them if you feel that you need them to craft.

Witchcraft should start with the self. You should be able to accomplish any spell you are looking to cast or whatever you're doing, without the use of tools or materials. Spells can be done on the go, silently, and quickly when you've gotten the hang of it.

Often times I find that tools get in the way. Unless I'm doing something that specifically requires tools (like a candle, for candle magic), everything can be done with just myself and a quiet mind.

Don't stress over your candles and your lighters. Use the trip to focus on learning how to do it without tools.

Anyone can meditate. So, if you meditate at night before you sleep, that won't get you in trouble for "being a witch." Meditation is a good way to keep up your "practice" since you really will be practicing accomplishing your goals without tools.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:52 am
If you're going on a trip, focus on the trip. Enjoy where you're going and what you're doing. It really doesn't seem like a situation where you need to drag witchcraft with you. Not every situation or place is going to be appropriate for such - this strikes me as one of them.

Keep an eye on your surroundings. Take notice of any thing or place on your trip that seems to be catching your attention, or appearing over and over again. You might find objects as you're traveling that are significant in some way for you. If you keep yourself open to the spaces you're visiting, you may may contact with the genus loci - or the spirit of the place. You may learn more this way, than hauling what are essentially foreign objects and energies with you into an unfamiliar space. Sometimes doing this, without really knowing the lay of the land or the spirits therein, can be very offensive, and you're better off leaving things at home.

And assuming you practice a form of eclectic neo-pagan witchcraft....well, it's just common sense not to openly display a pagan religion or practice when you're on a class trip with a Christian school. Who really honestly needs to know beside yourself? It's no-one's business but your own what you believe, and if you aren't putting it on public display it's not going to be an issue.

As has been said, this will give you the opportunity to learn to practice without props. It will also give you the opportunity to learn discretion and subtlety. Your craft will not suffer from you taking a 2-week hiatus. The Gods will still be there when you're home. Your practices should not be all-consuming, and you should be able to balance them with your mundane life in some way.

That being said:

If you feel as if you must show your faith or practices in front of others in less-than-appropriate locations or times, perhaps you should examine your motives for spite, contrariness, or hubris. The outcome of doing so for those reasons will likely be more negative than positive, and it's best to avoid them.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:25 pm
I have no idea what your practice entails so I can't really give any advice. If you could give some more details on what your practice is and what the goals are, I'd be happy to try to think of a few alternatives.

I do like the advice that Morgandria offered but I also understand the need to remain close to one's spirituality even while traveling. I generally do so through mediation and reflection. Sometimes if I'm moved there will be energy work or an incantation, mostly protective in nature and discreet enough that others when present don't notice. I'm fairly new to having gods though and as they are local gods, they wouldn't expect me to maintain a practice with them when I'm not where they are.  
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games