Those
  evil talking teapots >>
View Results

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:53 am
I'm asking this as a serious question.

Why is Harry Potter considered "evil" but things like The Chronicles of Narnia aren't?

"Because Narnia is a metaphor and Aslan is JESUS!!!!"

O_o but it still has magic. So what? If JK Rowling suddenly said "Hey guys! Harry is Jesus!" It would be okay to read?

What about the number of other magic related movies/books/games that aren't "evil"

I don't see most Christian groups attacking Disney movies. I don't see protests to take Beauty and the Beast off the shelves. It had an enchantress, a magic spell. Evil talking teapots.

Talking teapots guys!!!!  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:02 am
The teapots were not evil in Beauty and the Beast! As for Harry Potter, the stuff they show involving magic is obviously all witchcraft! It's more on the side of evil than good, seriously. I spoke to a christian friend of mine who's dealt with crap like that irl and in all reality, anything Harry Potter related is witchcraft. No exceptions, no excuses, no if, ands or buts about it.  

Princess Zelda21

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100

Paradoxial Mouse

Fashionable Genius

7,650 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:08 am
Just face it.
Mouse is amazing.

I had to study both in elementary school for almost the same exact reason. The only reason Chronicles of Narnia are alright is because it was created to replicate biblical stories...the symbolism is deep. Harry Potter, however, was just a fictional story. I do not have anything against Harry Potter; in fact, I am a big fan. However, I do see how other Catholics disagree. I am deeply Catholic, but I see nothing wrong with it. After all, it doesn't flat out say anything against God, they hold the right morals...but others could see it as purely witchcraft. I drew my line before His Dark Materials series. At least, that's what I think it is. But that series directly was made to convince young children to take atheistic views... Anyway, the reason is really the witchcraft. I could list a million different symbols in Chronicles of Narnia. At least, for the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

See, that wasn't so bad, was it?
Actually... (BE QUIET!)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:11 am
I liked how the second book of the Eragon series flat-out said God didn't exist. xd  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:14 am
Zphal
I liked how the second book of the Eragon series flat-out said God didn't exist. xd

Oh! Oh! And the His Dark Materials novels?

Yeah. They totally killed God in those.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:16 am
Zphal

That's just sad and wrong... smh...  

Princess Zelda21

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:17 am
Princess Zelda21
The teapots were not evil in Beauty and the Beast! As for Harry Potter, the stuff they show involving magic is obviously all witchcraft! It's more on the side of evil than good, seriously. I spoke to a christian friend of mine who's dealt with crap like that irl and in all reality, anything Harry Potter related is witchcraft. No exceptions, no excuses, no if, ands or buts about it.

Harry Potter wasn't evil either. He was written as a good character. Most of the witches and wizards in the series were good people who just happened to have magic abilities. Did Molly Weasley go around killing? Well at the end when her life and kid's lives was at risk. But prior to that? She used her magic to make sweaters!

Beauty and the Beast had Witchcraft too. The enchantress cursed the castle and turned Adam (yes, that's his name.) into a beast and everyone else into house hold objects. That magic was intentially used in an evil way.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:25 am
Mama Ame
Princess Zelda21

Harry Potter wasn't evil either. He was written as a good character. Most of the witches and wizards in the series were good people who just happened to have magic abilities. Did Molly Weasley go around killing? Well at the end when her life and kid's lives was at risk. But prior to that? She used her magic to make sweaters!

Beauty and the Beast had Witchcraft too. The enchantress cursed the castle and turned Adam (yes, that's his name.) into a beast and everyone else into house hold objects. That magic was intentially used in an evil way.

How can you say it's not evil? There's proof all over that series! Hello!? Wake up and smell the coffee!  

Princess Zelda21

Silent Healer

36,475 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • That One Hero 500
  • Noble Shade 100

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:33 am
Princess Zelda21
Mama Ame
Princess Zelda21

How can you say it's not evil? There's proof all over that series! Hello!? Wake up and smell the coffee!

Are you seriously going to start a disagreement over whether the witchcraft in Harry Potter is evil or not, Zelda? *sighs* People are allowed to interpret things they want. If you want to see the witchcraft in Harry Potter as evil, then that's your opinion. If Ame wants to see it as good, then that's her opinion. Don't go trying to force people to change their minds.

And don't even go saying that you weren't trying to force people to change their minds, because the way your words are coming off, it makes it sound like you are.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:36 am
Well, they're talking about adding Religion as a required class in school. Christian or something stupid. I'm happy I'm out of school. But I'm creating my own religion based off what I believe in order to get away with things like every Jesus humping priest. Ron Hubbard is widely rumored to have said "The way to make a million dollars is to start a religion." So anyone thinking of negatively replying to this post better take a look at one of the largest religions in the west.  

ZimbuTessen

Aged Entrepreneur

7,800 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Signature Look 250

Eruresto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:42 am
Honestly, in my humble opinion, if you're going to say some witchcraft is evil and use Christian theological beliefs as proof or as arguments, then you have to say all of it is or you risk hypocrisy. All mainstream Catholic literature is hard against witchcraft of any kind, no matter whether the purported reason for it is good or evil. It is considered by the Vatican to be inherently wrong at best and evil at worst. Therefore, all witchcraft should be condemned if one is to be logically consistent.

I don't know as much about other sects' views, but given that the original laws against witchcraft are in the Bible, I would guess them to be similar.

I certainly don't agree; I'm rather indifferent to witchcraft as an actual practice as it doesn't work, at least in the intended sense. Sure, if one person who believes in it casts a curse on a another believer, the latter may develop psychosomatic symptoms, but this is not due to any mystical power.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:49 am
ZimbuTessen
Well, they're talking about adding Religion as a required class in school. Christian or something stupid. I'm happy I'm out of school. But I'm creating my own religion based off what I believe in order to get away with things like every Jesus humping priest. Ron Hubbard is widely rumored to have said "The way to make a million dollars is to start a religion." So anyone thinking of negatively replying to this post better take a look at one of the largest religions in the west.
Teach religion as in preach it or as in analyze it? The former is terrible, the latter very important.  

Eruresto

ZimbuTessen

Aged Entrepreneur

7,800 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:51 am
Eruresto
ZimbuTessen
Teach religion as in preach it or as in analyze it? The former is terrible, the latter very important.

Nope, preach it. As in, screw the rule of "Seperate Church and State" and make Religion required. It'll never get passed, but the idea is just idiotic.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:52 am
ZimbuTessen
Eruresto
ZimbuTessen

Nope, teach it. As in, screw the rule of "Seperate Church and State" and make Religion required. It'll never get passed, but the idea is just idiotic.
Geez, people never give up. :/  

Eruresto

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:10 pm
Princess Zelda21
Mama Ame
Princess Zelda21

Oh! So you're saying I should pick and chose which books that have magic and witchcraft in them are evil and which are not evil?

Kind of like how a lot of people pick and chose which parts of the Bible to follow and which parts to ignore?  
"COS" ^Can O Spam^

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff