Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Harry Potter.....Good Or Bad [can be closed] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whats your opinion?
Good
68%
 68%  [ 48 ]
Bad
31%
 31%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 70

promised_child

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:01 am
personally i, as a former wiccan and a 4 year old christian, find that the books are rather inconsequential, and deal more with the witchcraft mythology than the reality. the important thing to remember is that Jesus is stronger than anything.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:39 pm
Ah yes it's me again Silent Expressor. Over the past few months I've been sitting at home thinking over many of the statements that I've made in this thread. I'll admit one thing and that is right from the start Cometh was right. I did take my beliefs of the Harry Potter books way too far. After doing further research I found that J.K. Rowling is in fact a confessed Christian. I want to say that although my convictions about this issue have not changed, I will no longer be trying to force them onto you. I see now that it is not only pointless but it also gets a lot of people who could be friends into conflicts about a stupid issue over a book that is mere fantasy. This issue is much like many other in the Christian church, very small and people tend to focus on it instead of focusing on the things that they agree on. Since my last post in this thread I think I have grown up a lot, not only mentally but spiritually. My issues with the Harry Potter books had nothing really to do with the books themselves it was more what my parents ground into my head about them without even reading them, and I took that biased approach in reading them. I also found that during that time it wasn't the books making me angrier and everything that I thought it was, it was the other things of this world we live in that were slowly making me lose my mind. I want to thank you all for the debate and I especially want to thank Cometh for making it interesting for the whole ride.

Even if we disagree I want you all to know that we are all brothers in sisters in spirit an we are all gonna meet our creator some day. So with that I want to say I love you all and I'll see you in about 90 years rofl anyway. Peace out Much love.

Silent Expressor

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:57 am
Heh, always glad to be a help. But yeah, it was all in good-nature (at least on my part), so no hard feelings about it. And it's cool to see that you're growing continually in your faith and spiritual maturity.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:06 pm
I have notice while read these opinions on the Harry Potter books that many people here that are against the books say that by reading these books that people are sinning...... neutral

But really how can you say these people are sinning just because they may be reading about sinful acts in the Harry Potter books when the Bible explicitly describes many sinful acts in great detail.... neutral
Because if your logic were true then everyone who has read the Bible would be committing sins just by reading it..... neutral

I would also like to know who gave you the right to judge these people for read these books..... neutral

God is the only one that has the right to judge anyone..... neutral

So by accusing these people of sinning and calling what their doing wrong you are sinning.....because you have judge them.....

p.s. the moral is: Do not judge others  

Flesh_Pillows

Shameless Fairy

Flesh_Pillows

Shameless Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:21 pm
But don't feel to bad about the aligations that many have made against one another in this debate because we are all human and likely to commit these lapses of judgment without thinking of the after effects that may follow..... neutral

I do respect the fact that everyone had the best intentions at heart and were really trying to help one another gain a better understanding..... neutral  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:29 pm
Well, it seems that after reading the last book of the Harry Potter saga, I found some very, very Chrisitan themes in this book, as much as there are in Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings.

This topic discussion best explains it, and explains it all. Read pages 1 to 3.

So it seems Ms. Rowling really is a Christian after all, but was struggling with her beliefs a bit. She's a member of the Church of Scotland.

Jelai

Sprockette

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:44 pm
I feel that Harry Potter is NOT a bad thing. Aside from the fact that witchcraft is a sin...witchcraft is not real anyway so there's nothing to worry about. 9 times out of 10, these kids who read the books know that.
What the books are trying to teach about is love ad good triumphs over evil.
The reason Harry wasn't killed by Voldemort was because Harry's mother was protecting him from evil.And love protected him from being hurt by the evil that is Voldemort.
Harry represents the good side, Voldemort evil. Who dies in the end? Voldemort, because he's evil.
If you actually read the books, you'd see the morals it teaches.
But this is just my opinion.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:15 pm
I respect Christians like you (thread starter) who profess their disapproval for Harry Potter. I have been trying real hard to hate this whole series. Very good post!  

Fallpray

Mountain Rose

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:48 am
I think that you can read about something, enjoy the entertainment you get from it, and not immitate the characters in the book. Reading Harry Potter isn't what's bad; immitating Harry and the others is what's bad, whether it's saying spells or getting revenge. I don't think we should use it to teach our children how to behave, but, like most reading of fiction, I think it's a nice diversion.

However, I suppose if you believe that reading it would be bad, then it would be bad. Romans 14:22-23 (NLT) says:

Quote:
You may believe there’s nothing wrong with what you are doing, but keep it between yourself and God. Blessed are those who don’t feel guilty for doing something they have decided is right. But if you have doubts about whether or not you should eat something, you are sinning if you go ahead and do it. For you are not following your convictions. If you do anything you believe is not right, you are sinning.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:42 am
In spirit with the thread creator's request, I have closed this topic. I will leave it visible instead of deleting it, of course.

God bless!  

Ablazed
Captain

Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 14 15 16 17

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out