Reply The Foreign Languages Guild
Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom and other language tests

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lili of the lamplight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:59 am
Does anyone have experience with these sorts of tests? I'm thinking of signing up for the GDS in November and I'm not sure of what to expect.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:42 am
I've only had experience with English language tests : Cambridge Certificates and Test Of English for International Communication (TOEIC). Cambridge had 5 parts. Lemme see if I can get them together… errr…

• Speaking with the examiners
  • Writing stuff like motivational letters, memos, emails and the like
  • Listening to conversations and answering questions about the conversations or filling out blanks while listening (toughest part in listening 4 me, cuz information didn't always come sequentially like the questions were asked)
    Sometimes you had to listen to the task and if you didn't get it (the task wasn't written on paper so you could check if you understood what the speak was saying) you were screwed.
  • Reading aka. Comprehension of texts and summarizing or writing a response, very similar to writing but multiple choice questions were also asked about grammar and vocabulary (their, there, your, you're, etc.)

TOEIC was 90 minutes of listening to a tape and answering multiple choice questions.

Do not underestimate these tests. Even though I passed 2 tests with flying colors and one with a B, it still wasn't a piece of cake. If there's info on the web or course books you can buy, definitely do so ! They give you a very good idea about what's ahead and you can even get together like minded people to help you learn smile

Good luck !
Oder besser gesagt, viel Glück und gutes Gelingen !

ThuckFat

Kalium19

Stone-cold Warlord

11,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:43 pm
...And how. So far, I have taken Zertifikat Deutsch B1, IELTS and DELF A1 and A2 tests. They all tend to begin with Listening tests, when entrants are not tired and thus attentive. Reading and Writing tests follow. As for the speaking part, you may take this test before or after the other parts. I don't remember DELF's speaking test format, but both IELTS and Zertifikat Deutsch speaking tests begin with introducing yourself. This part is for calming you down if you're feeling way too nervous. Then, the two exams differ. IELTS has you speaking on a given topic while Zertifikat Deutsch has you talking to the examiner, usually about making plans of sorts (This may vary for other levels)  
The Foreign Languages Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games