Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Problem with Authors Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:21 pm
blindfaith^_^
While I find misinformation annoying, I don't think that books can be blamed for this problem entirely. I mean people buy them because they say whatever that person wants to hear, which often times is a whole lot of nothing, but a "you're very special and elite" nothing all the same.

I don't think that's really true though, I'd say about 90% of the people buying these books, have absolutely no clue what it is that they are picking up. They've read something on the internet, seen a movie (or a show on tv)... said "ooohhh that looks cool", and then they order the first book that pops up on Amazon.com when they type in Wicca or Witchcraft. They don't know enough about what it is they are looking at, to even make a decent informed decision.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:13 pm
Something I was thinking about recently, rather than trying to actually publish anything, is maybe forming a "review group" or something that could go around - Amazon or GoodReads, or other book related websites, and posting reviews of various books (good and bad). There could be some sort of approval process that the review would have to go through before posting it, but at least this way, (especially in cases where a really horrible book has really good reviews by people who either don't know any better, or because they have been planted there by the author) there would be a way to combat it somewhat.  

too2sweet

Tipsy Fairy

Satyr Prince

Tipsy Reveler

6,950 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:55 pm
too2sweet
Something I was thinking about recently, rather than trying to actually publish anything, is maybe forming a "review group" or something that could go around - Amazon or GoodReads, or other book related websites, and posting reviews of various books (good and bad). There could be some sort of approval process that the review would have to go through before posting it, but at least this way, (especially in cases where a really horrible book has really good reviews by people who either don't know any better, or because they have been planted there by the author) there would be a way to combat it somewhat.
i would be completely behind this, and would help.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:12 pm
I'm reading this thread with interest because I'm a published *cough*sellout*cough author. My first royalty cheque was under $40, and the only "fame" I get is weirdos adding me on Facebook, so I can attest that there are some authors not motivated by money and fame and that getting published through a regular paperback publisher is not impossible. Wow, run on sentence like woah. My editors would kill me.  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:49 pm
oh you can't leave us hanging like that. What ya write?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:36 pm
A big problem in Western culture is that we're set up to do things accordingly to how we're told (thank you public education and bureaucratic employment schemes!) So when someone new to Paganism is trying to figure out how to be Pagan, it's daunting, because on the one hand there is some good information out there that challenges people to read and study their deities and stories, then on the other hand there are books published by fluff-laden clowns like Ravenwolf that are accessible and easy to get into. If I was a 13 year old mall-goth, I'd probably pick up the Ravenwolf book, because I'd think she'd done all the hard studious work on Wicca for me. This is very problematic.

I think someone needs to write an accessible book (or series of) for teenagers on pagan beliefs that is actually credible, because so many of the Paganism for teen books are absolute crap and set these kids off on the totally wrong foot.

In the mean time, I think writing critically reviews is important and something that I'm working on doing more of myself. I don't believe in shutting people out (entirely... wink ), but I think Ravenwolf needs to reassess her actions and her role as a writer and faith-influencer before she writes another shitty book on witchcraft/paganism/wicca for teens. The problem is that she's probably so deeply lost in her own bullshit to realize how problematic her work is.  

Astrox

Astrox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:39 pm
Doctrix
I'm reading this thread with interest because I'm a published *cough*sellout*cough author. My first royalty cheque was under $40, and the only "fame" I get is weirdos adding me on Facebook, so I can attest that there are some authors not motivated by money and fame and that getting published through a regular paperback publisher is not impossible. Wow, run on sentence like woah. My editors would kill me.

I don't think being a published author makes you a sellout. I think being a published author who writes series of books with information that is unverified and reeks of bullshit makes one a sellout.

So what'd'ya write?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:43 pm
Astrox
Doctrix

I don't think being a published author makes you a sellout. I think being a published author who writes series of books with information that is unverified and reeks of bullshit makes one a sellout.

So what'd'ya write?

A couple of books on psychic work so far. You can look them up under my last name of Chauran. I'm no kinda' famous, so I agree that it would be hard to be a sellout, ten-dollionaire that I am through publishing.  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:54 pm
Here's a bad author. I wouldn't touch his books with a 10 foot pole. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dictionary-of-western-alchemy-jordan-stratford/1101088564. Jordan Stratford is a ******** culture rapist and a pseudo-scholar.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:29 pm
Doctrix

Long time no see Kudzu. Hope life is being kind to you and yours.
I think the key part to the thread is this:
I
If the only people who write books on paganism are the ones who are seeking money, fame and the spread of their personal brand of enlightened paganism then it's no wonder that there's a glut of fluffy mental masturbation on the market.

So it would seem that one way to undermine that If is to get more authors who aren't writing for the sake of "seeking money, fame and the spread of their personal brand of enlightened paganism". From the years I have known you, even though we haven't spoken in a long time, this never described you. Nor does it appear to describe your book. wink

Maybe more people like you should be writing. But how would that be able to compete with the rabid wankery on the shelves?  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces