Welcome to Gaia! ::

AND IN THE NAME OF AWESOME I WILL PUNISH YOU!!!

Back to Guilds

A guild for Sailor Moon fans that have experienced all of the mega-series! 

Tags: Sailor Moon, Bishoujo Senshi, Sera Myu, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Naoko Takeuchi 

Reply Sailor Moon Anime & Manga
SM Art Model

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kawaisa Sailor Moon
Captain

Blessed Lover

10,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:32 pm
I found this reference sheet showing all the different art styles that appear in the SM anime. The anime went through several different artists and art directors, and sadly it shows. See for yourself! (I did not make this.)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:50 am
That's fascinating. I mean, I always noticed the gradual change, but I figured it was intentional as to reflect a change through her aging. I think I reached that conclusion, as when the show starts, comparing how she looks at the end of the series, I may have taken that notion for granted.  

Illumina Vierge

Benevolent Fairy

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Kawaisa Sailor Moon
Captain

Blessed Lover

10,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:35 am
Especially concentrate on the eyes and the hair, when you see it side by side it's rather odd how they change. I mean, just look at the difference between episode 146 to the rest! 165 stands out to me too. And episode 5. I think those and the last episode are the most diverse. Heck, Stars looks really different. This is only aggravated by the fact that the budget would sway back and forth between seasons. As most have noticed, all the sudden Stars had a large budget and it showed especially in the last episode. Hopefully if/when outside of Japan gets to see the remastered HD footage they'll fix some of the more extreme examples. Or at least one can hope.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:44 am
All the various names can be found here. After looking at the list, one can only wonder how the animation footage didn't sway even more by the end of it. Also, look at all the different writers! No wonder why sometimes the character's personality sways between episodes! Ex: Why sometimes Mina is sassy and sporty, and other times she's girly and an idol worshiper. No wonder why fanon is so diverse on this, even in Sera Myu you can have characters being played differently through different plays. In a way this may be a good thing, because it did rather force the issue of character development. This is probably also why characters do appear older in Stars (and thinner) because they were constantly recycling through artists the style was bound to vary.  

Kawaisa Sailor Moon
Captain

Blessed Lover

10,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Kawaisa Sailor Moon
Captain

Blessed Lover

10,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm
On a related note, watch episode 38. It's a filler episode and it's quite obvious that the animators just didn't care. For example:

User Image  
Sailor Moon Anime & Manga

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff